Why do some people consider Alistair from Dragon Age Origins to be whiny or "emo"? (spoilers)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Griffon_Hawke179 said:
why do some people interperet charachters in different ways and find somthings annoying and some things not?

one of those things we'll never know

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
Preface: I <3 Alistair

... but he is a whiner.

This is cemented for me by his reaction to the very reasonable alternative to beheading the former hero-gone-stupid in front of the assembled nobility of Ferelden and y'know, maybe getting another warden in the process, which might come in handy given there's only 3 in the whole Blight stricken country and the odds of all of us dying to the Archdemon are astronomically high

His reaction to the death of Isolde and/or Connor should you not have the happy-time option of going to the Circle for help if they have been cleansed already is pretty over the top as well, given the obvious impossibility of the situation. Granted, he apologies, but it's still pretty high drama

The mourning for Duncan in the first few segments of the game is understandable, but he doesn't seem to ever let it go - and lest we forget, he knew the guy for all of 6 months. He's much less upset about his 10+ year father figure in Eamon lying on his death bed than he is about a war-buddy who "rescued" him from... being a Templar, which is apparently a fate worse than death (?) No idea why he's got that juxtaposition of emotional priorities, maybe transference, but even that's a bit of a stretch to me.

Again - I love Alistair, big time. Most of my Wardens romanced him (except the non-human ones, after I go my heart smashed to pieces the first time with my Elf Mage... who he promised to love forever and ever...

and then dropped like a bad habit the minute the crown was hovering over his head, in front of all of our friends... because I was an Elf and a Mage, which he knew already. Ass

I guess I would say that Alistair isn't so much "whiny" as he is unreasonable in his expectations of the Warden, but doesn't really live up to those high standards of behavior he expects himself. He expects the Warden to be the best, most upstanding person possible, but when he hits a wall with a hard choice, he bails. He bails on responsibility when Duncan dies and the group needs a leader, he bails on the Warden romantically if the going gets tough, he bails on the whole group if one particular decision doesn't go his way. He isn't made of the same stuff he expects the Warden to be made of - maybe he wants to be, maybe that's what he aspires to, but it isn't what he is - yet.

Doesn't mean I don't think he's still a good guy, but there's definitely a downside to the character if you don't play in a way to have his best side always showing.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Whiny? A little bit but the way he does it makes it come off as funny rather than annoying. Emo? No way in hell, unless the term emo has changed.

yumikana

Apr 24, 2011
Alister + Morigan = Some of the funiest conversations

Theoreticly:
Alister + Morigan + Varic(Only deacent companion in DA2) = laughing yourself of the seat

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Mikejames said:
He's probably one of my favorite Bioware characters to date.
Definitely. I love Alister. He was my bro in Origins.

Morrigan, Alister and Sten. A fuckin' dream team.

Great. Now I need to reinstall the game.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
Mikejames said:
He's probably one of my favorite Bioware characters to date.
Definitely. I love Alister. He was my bro in Origins.

Morrigan, Alister and Sten. A fuckin' dream team.

Great. Now I need to reinstall the game.
Weren't 2 handed weapons broken in DA:O? Did they patch them?

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
He may not quite reach the "I'm gonna shove ice picks in my ears if you don't STFU" JRPG kind of emo, but in that cast and timeline he stands out like a sore thumb.
I really didn't care apart from the fact that he always used snarky sarcastic remarks but when you gave one back he went all emo on you, ***** do you not comprehend how social dynamics work... that just just outlined his whinny nature even more.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
any male character in a game that shows any kind of negative emotion that is not anger or rage = emo by video game standards

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
Swooping is bad...

Alastair was never whiny.

Not Carth Onasi whiny, anyway.
Oh good sweet merciful christ. You just HAD to go remind me of Carth Onasi didn't you?

If anything, his will passed onto Kaiden Alenko rather then Alistair.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I didn't see him as whiny and he definitely wasn't irritating to me. I loved his character as he came across as sarcastic and fun.

Haagrum

May 3, 2010
Mylinkay Asdara said:
I guess I would say that Alistair isn't so much "whiny" as he is unreasonable in his expectations of the Warden, but doesn't really live up to those high standards of behavior he expects himself. He expects the Warden to be the best, most upstanding person possible, but when he hits a wall with a hard choice, he bails. He bails on responsibility when Duncan dies and the group needs a leader, he bails on the Warden romantically if the going gets tough, he bails on the whole group if one particular decision doesn't go his way. He isn't made of the same stuff he expects the Warden to be made of - maybe he wants to be, maybe that's what he aspires to, but it isn't what he is - yet.
This.

The most interesting part of the Grey Warden mythology is that they do whatever is required. This can mean slaughtering innocents or letting a traitor or blood mage live (or even recruiting them) if it means getting the job done. To a degree, Alistair seems to understand this - he doesn't blink when the Joining is performed. However, it doesn't stop him from calling you out when you act like a prick.

Also, who here loves the idea of being responsible for saving their country? Not actually having done it, but being responsible for it? Knowing that you're pretty much the only person who could do it? I think Alistair's perspective is reasonably realistic - he's a relatively new recruit, and now he's got the weight of a kingdom on his shoulders (in more ways that one). He doesn't think of himself as a leader. The Wardens are the only place he's ever felt at home. He's never been raised to rule or lead. He doubts himself and covers it with humour, and that doubt is really the only thing that's stopping him.

He's no emo, unless your concept of "being a man" means acting like Master Chief or Kratos and just blindly killing everything that gets in your way without a second thought. Those guys would *suck* at a party. For an RPG, I'd take an Alistair over the hyper-aggressive concepts of "masculinity" served up in most games these days.

Mandal0re

Oct 18, 2008
Only time I really took umbridge with his behaviour was when he threw his toys out of the pram over the possibility of a certain someone joining the party. There he puts his personal feelings ahead of the lives of everyone in the country which was pretty annoying and immature. Apart from that incident I have a lot of affection for Alistair. Apart from his hair. I hate hair styles which look like they require products in fantasy games. Giving him the quiff of a 10yr old boy from the 90s was a bad decision.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, there was that one conversation with him about Duncan and the other wardens. But that was justified, what with almost everyone he knew being dead and all.

Overall, I liked him.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Alistar was one of my favorite characters in that game. I wouldn't call him whiny although since he was the good guy and complained a lot if you did something he found to be morally evil then he could probably seem a bit whiny to other people.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Mylinkay Asdara said:
Preface: I <3 Alistair

... but he is a whiner.

This is cemented for me by his reaction to the very reasonable alternative to beheading the former hero-gone-stupid in front of the assembled nobility of Ferelden and y'know, maybe getting another warden in the process, which might come in handy given there's only 3 in the whole Blight stricken country and the odds of all of us dying to the Archdemon are astronomically high

His reaction to the death of Isolde and/or Connor should you not have the happy-time option of going to the Circle for help if they have been cleansed already is pretty over the top as well, given the obvious impossibility of the situation. Granted, he apologies, but it's still pretty high drama

The mourning for Duncan in the first few segments of the game is understandable, but he doesn't seem to ever let it go - and lest we forget, he knew the guy for all of 6 months. He's much less upset about his 10+ year father figure in Eamon lying on his death bed than he is about a war-buddy who "rescued" him from... being a Templar, which is apparently a fate worse than death (?) No idea why he's got that juxtaposition of emotional priorities, maybe transference, but even that's a bit of a stretch to me.

Again - I love Alistair, big time. Most of my Wardens romanced him (except the non-human ones, after I go my heart smashed to pieces the first time with my Elf Mage... who he promised to love forever and ever...

and then dropped like a bad habit the minute the crown was hovering over his head, in front of all of our friends... because I was an Elf and a Mage, which he knew already. Ass

Doesn't mean I don't think he's still a good guy, but there's definitely a downside to the character if you don't play in a way to have his best side always showing.
This. I always called him a man-child. He shirks responsibility and is prone to temper tantrums.
I've been a Grey Warden for a day and Alistair dumps the responsibility of leading us and gathering an army onto me because he doesn't like to lead. This doesn't mean that he won't second guess every decision I make. And the bit with Loghain is the final straw. My Warden had nothing against Loghain personally, and getting another Warden and sparing a national war hero seemed like a pretty good move. But little Alistair wanted his revenge. Oh, and he changed his mind, he wanted to be king now too. It is his fault that he is hanging from a noose. Though, if you spare him, he becomes a drunk who wallows in self-pity for the rest of his life. I guess I did him a favor. And he dumps you if you are an elf and mage? Wow, add that to the list. At least Morrigan had a reason other than "politically inconvenient".

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
I loved Alistair. Perhaps he whined sometimes but given the situation it's understandable.

He was one of the funniest characters in the game though and I ALWAYS had him in my party just to hear what he would say at various moments :)

Such a great character, he's like the Garrus of Dragon Age.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I've been a Grey Warden for a day and Alistair dumps the responsibility of leading us and gathering an army onto me because he doesn't like to lead. This doesn't mean that he won't second guess every decision I make. And the bit with Loghain is the final straw. My Warden had nothing against Loghain personally, and getting another Warden and sparing a national war hero seemed like a pretty good move. But little Alistair wanted his revenge. Oh, and he changed his mind, he wanted to be king now too. It is his fault that he is hanging from a noose. Though, if you spare him, he becomes a drunk who wallows in self-pity for the rest of his life. I guess I did him a favor. And he dumps you if you are an elf and mage? Wow, add that to the list. At least Morrigan had a reason other than "politically inconvenient".
Oh come on if Alistair was going to lead the party to gather the armies to fight the blight, it would've been "Dragon Age: Alistair" instead of "Dragon Age: Origins".

This complain could be levelled at so many RPG characters eg. Carth or Bastila who could've easily led in KoToR. Some sacrifices have to be made so we have an open RPG instead of just following an NPC around.