Why do ubisoft get hate but rockstar get free pass for releasing same type of games?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
demoman_chaos said:
dscross said:
No, it's not necessary to speak to anyone like that, even if you disagree with them. As to your point, I could have written something which would have pleased you more like 'teenage rebel who beats up and befriends a variety of school archetypes' but I was not being pedantic for the sake of writing a quick paragragh and shortening for someone who hasn't played it. While this is clearly a big deal for you, I'm not debating any more with you now while you are clearly in a bad mood about something and using that tone with me.
It actually is, because what done as a comedic jab (referencing something that I can't quite put my finger on right now) has gotten you super flustered and it is making me laugh. Don't be thin-skinned on the internet lad, people will spot that and then let loose on you because of it.

There is a difference between making a short summary and saying something that quite clearly wrong. It is like saying you play as Zelda trying to defeat Ganon in the LoZ games, it indicates that you know less than Jon Snow about the game and are just trying to piece together a plot synopsis from what your 8 year once said about it.
Mate - don't be dick. I'm not flustered, I'm trying to teach you some decorum. This isn't YouTube,

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
dscross said:
Mate - don't be dick. I'm not flustered, I'm trying to teach you some decorum. This isn't YouTube,
If you weren't flustered you wouldn't be so focused on a throw-away line that I cannot heckin' remember the reference of (And it is bugging me, part of me wants to say it was from Short Circuit but that doesn't sound right as Princess Bride also comes to mind but I have my doubts there as well).

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
They don't get hate because people are hypocrites. Ubisoft gets hate for putting out the same Assassin's Creed game every Goddamn year (too soon to tell if this trend will continue with FarCry). People actually liked Watch_Dogs 2 a great deal, as I recall, because they made an effort to improve on the last one instead of just adding more random map treasure to find.

Anyhow, we get it. You don't like GTA. Guess what? I didn't much care for the last one either. But that doesn't mean that I can't recognize that Ubisoft as a company is not really comparable to Rockstar, nor does it mean they even really make the same games. Once you strip away the open world aspect, their games are rather different.

chysamere

Jun 28, 2012
I hate Ubisoft solely due to UPlay and haven't bought one of their games in 5 years because of this

Deadguy2322

Jul 22, 2017
demoman_chaos said:
dscross said:
LA Noir is not a typical Rockstar game. I'd even make the argument that is it completely different from most others - it's certainly the most restrictive and has the most left field mechanics (the lying thing). Their Flagship franchise, GTA, is all about exploring and committing crimes, with hardly any restrictions.

Red Dead Redemption, probably the 2nd most popular, is sparse in terms of the environment because it's set in the Wild West, but it's essentially about being a cowboy, so lots of killing, kidnapping etc.

Bully - you are a bully and beat people up.

Personally, I really enjoyed LA Noir's story and gameplay, but if you are taking that as your benchmark for what a Rockstar game is like, you are dead wrong. You'd see what I mean if you played the original GTA, which sort of shows the spirit of most of their games in a really stripped down sort of way.

Either way the stories and worlds are of consistently high quality.
Did, did you even play any of those games? I don't think you did.

GTA- A crime drama where you are stuck at the bottom and work your way to the top with quirky and interesting characters to meet (and often kill) along the way. There is an awful lot more to it than "Exploring and committing crimes."

RDR- The Feds send you in to capture several notorious outlaws whom were former gangmates. The story is about John Marston trying to redeem his past (Hence the "Redemption" part of the title) and bring in his former gangmates so he can live a peaceful life with his family. The only kidnapping John ever does is outside of the story missions when you want to be a jerk with the lasso.

Bully- You get sent to a boarding school and you fight AGAINST the bullies who hassle you from day one. Seriously, did no one in this thread actually PLAY the feckin' game?

Never played LA Noir, so i can't comment on that.
LA Noire shouldn?t be lumped in with Rockstar?s other games, it was developed by Team Bondi, now defunct, and was just a publishing pickup.