Why do we go towards threads we hate?

Robert632

May 11, 2009
So to begin, this topic is inspired by the posters of this thread, though I am aware that this treatment happens to other groups.This is just what brought it to my attention.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.330302-Bronies-Get-the-Cracked-Treatment?page=3

So basically, that thread was a pony thread. It was obviously marked as a pony thread. Looking at the title alone, you can expect a lot of ponies and bronies in this thread.

And yet still a large amount of people who dislike the show went in there, complaining about the show and it's fans.

Now, so I don't get people moaning at me about how I'm a brony and therefore I'm complaining about how people dislike the show I like, I'm going to again reiterate that this is by no means the first fandom that has gotten this treatment, nor the last. Hell I've done it twice myself in the last week or so. I don't even know why I clicked on either of the threads, I just...did.

So let's hear your reasons, Escapist. Why do you go to threads about topics you hate?

Also people, please behave. I know this thread is geared towards asking people why they post in threads about topics they dislike, but that's still no excuse to be an ass when explaining why.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Really, the answer that's going to pop up the most is "haters gonna hate". That's pretty much all there is too it.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
To cause some internet trouble?

Everyone has a bit of troll in them.

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
"I feel upset about the issue at hand, therefore I am inclined to make sure everyone knows how upset I am about it." That's usually why.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
I guess humans love to rise to a challenge, and when we see a thread about something we hate, going into it and making your views heard feels like some sort of small victory?

Could be folks just get bored, of course.

Interesting question, OP.

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
People really love whining about subjects they don't like, especially if there are people who do like it.
Anyway, I just enjoy expressing my opinion, whether these be negative or not, and getting reactions to said opinions. Although I rarely enter a thread just so I can show my discontent.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
You will always spot these things. 50% of the threads you see will not be noticed by you yourself. 25% of said threads that you do notice are supposedly ones you like/love. The last 25% are ones you dislike/hate. The only reason you would go to this thread is if you do not see the 25% of likable threads, thus they will sub-consciously force themselves into going into that thread for no reason AT ALL, but out of pure laziness to look for another thread.

After entering said thread, they will read it, and after a while they will comment on it with a negative response merely because they feel that their opinion is important to all other people, and they truthfully feel this said opinion will in some way change the mind of other people.

In the end, it is a mix of bored people who are ignorant of other peoples opinions simply because they feel their opinion is better. This opinion of theirs is bred through years of being socially accepted within the popular culture, and in a sense being an 'Alpha'. Omega's and Beta's would not generally take the approach of attacking other peoples opinions without a cultural upbringing to fuel that response. This is at least what I believe.

Now, this is more of a hypothesis than anything, but people have proven this time and time again by merely entering these threads more often than not.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Because people always want to ruin other people's fun. Human nature.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Sexual frustration, probably. I got probationed in that very thread thread for pointing out the inherent futility of posting on hated topics, so I guess it must be the done thing on the internet.

psyk

Dec 25, 2008
Because it's a thread about an article on cracked which is pretty much taking the piss.

MirkoP

Nov 9, 2011
TimeLord said:
Because people always want to ruin ther people's fun. Human nature.
Pretty much this.I firmly believe there's no possible way for another human being to genuinely enjoy strangers'(family and loved ones might be excluded) happiness. We just differ in how well do we pretend.