Why do we keep doing this?

theSHAH

Jul 31, 2011
Buying the new Call of Duty? Why? It's the same exact game every single year repackaged in a different setting. I'm guilty of this myself, my reason being is all my friends buy it for whatever reason and it gives me a standard fps to play with them. Will this chain ever break?

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Please don't. Really the games aren't "exactly the same game" unless your criteria is "You shoot stuff with guns lol military"

They are the same concept, with differences to keep the fans coming back. Instead of patching the games and updating them, they release a new game every year.

And really, why did you have to make a thread that has been done like 40 bajillion times on this site alone? Did you really need our opinions that badly?

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
I don't play them myself but as long as record numbers of people keep buying and enjoying the games, it won't stop. What's the big deal anyway? Sure, each new iteration does little to innovate the genre but if people are entertained by them and find them fun, is that not the point?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I borrowed my brother's copy of MW3, and I gotta say, survival is pretty damn fun.

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not guilty. I've played the campaigns of all the Modern Warfares and WaW of my friend's copies because I'm smart, and only bought Black Ops for the zombies. I'll probably buy Black Ops 2 for the zombies as well (not full price obviously). The games are pretty lackluster, except for zombies, because for some reason that's where all the creativity and effort goes.

hazabaza1 said:
Well, I borrowed my brother's copy of MW3, and I gotta say, survival is pretty damn fun.
I agree, having one copy between your friends/family for horde modes is always smart in my opinion. Its quite fun.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Because I enjoy playing the game, both alone and with friends, both single and multiplayer. There you go. Simples.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
oplinger said:
Please don't. Really the games aren't "exactly the same game" unless your criteria is "You shoot stuff with guns lol military"

They are the same concept, with differences to keep the fans coming back. Instead of patching the games and updating them, they release a new game every year.

And really, why did you have to make a thread that has been done like 40 bajillion times on this site alone? Did you really need our opinions that badly?
Don't you know people aren't allowed to like something another person doesn't like?

Using rhetoric like "guilty" for buying a video game, and people were surprised when I said we should "forgive" a game developer? It's like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

Anyway, I've never purchased a Call of Duty game, because I have little interest in competitive multi-player to begin with, and zero interest when it's with nobody that I know because the few people I do know who play that, do so on the Xbox. I've played the campaigns for the Modern Warfare games because of said friends and well, a five-hour campaign, no matter how amusingly over-the-top, isn't really enough to make me part with my money.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well I keep doing this because I keep enjoying the games. There is no grand conspiracy, I'm not a sheep who has to buy everything that says CoD (or Madden, or FIFA, or any other of these "It's the same game with a roster update" bullshit argument people who don't like these games); I buy them because I enjoy the games and when one does come out that I don't like, I don't buy it (for example, I skipped Madden 12 this year).

Why is this so hard for some people to grasp? I don't expect everyone to like these games but can I at least expect people to have a bit of common sense when they decide to pass judgement on everyone who plays them?

I've issued this challenge before and I'll do it again: Give me any game series and I will pick it apart the same way that people pick apart CoD. Any series can be looked at and declared "All the Same" by people who don't play said series. You can break any game down to it's core ingredients and would be able to call it the same as games X, Y, and Z; it's the little things that make it different and unique and therefore, worth purchasing.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
As I'm not one of this 'we', I don't know what motivates the CoD people.

Anget Colslaw

Jul 26, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
I almost bought MW3 for this but once I looked into the details I was quite disappointed and decided not to buy it.

Including all the other flaws Call of Duty has, I think I'll stick to Minecraft and Gears of War survival. It's topped off by the fact it also still has the problems I had with Treyarch's zombies mode.

Seriously? Going up against a damn chopper? With nothing but small arms?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Anget Colslaw said:
Seriously? Going up against a damn chopper? With nothing but small arms?
Apparently, three MP5 mags to the side of a fully armoured attack chopper brings it straight down. Who'da thunk it?

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
More importantly why do people keep making FUCKING TREADS ABOUT IT?!

*ahem*
Now that's over, I'd also say they aren't all the same. Unless you count *Click on bad man until he dies and repeat* as the same, but in that case, that's about 90% of all games, ever.

I've played better games than CoD, but I've also played a hell of a lot worse. And frankly, we get way more people moaning about CoD fanboys than actual fans.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
I've issued this challenge before and I'll do it again: Give me any game series and I will pick it apart the same way that people pick apart CoD. Any series can be looked at and declared "All the Same" by people who don't play said series. You can break any game down to it's core ingredients and would be able to call it the same as games X, Y, and Z; it's the little things that make it different and unique and therefore, worth purchasing.
I like to play every CoD that comes out but I never buy them new - only used and borrowings.

They are pretty much all the same under the surface, and I do enjoy them games and play them all.

I just think that the things that are different from game to game are the ones that are stupid.

"We are Infinity Ward. Our COD4 multiplayer was so good, this one with be better... because we added Akimbo machine pistols, shotgun secondaries and NUKES! We understood the criticism about the killstreaks, so let's make chopper gunners, AC-130s instead of an actual sense of progression! Also, our story in COD4 was actually won't make sense but let's pretend it's a bit serious!"

-"Oh noes, Treyarch! MW2 had silly stuff!"
-"We know what to do! Let's put R/C cars and things that were never used in combat! And our storyline will be even sillier but let's pretend it's SERIOUS BUSINESS".

I will let this slide as long as it's free/not giving profit to Activision. Some men just want to watch the world burn, etc

AdamRhodes

Oct 4, 2010
Goofguy said:
I don't play them myself but as long as record numbers of people keep buying and enjoying the games, it won't stop. What's the big deal anyway? Sure, each new iteration does little to innovate the genre but if people are entertained by them and find them fun, is that not the point?
The fear is that since one genre can make stacks of cash with very little creative innovation besides a new five hour long campaign, eventually every game developer will attempt the same things. Eventually we'll see new Tetris where the only innovation is different colors for the same type of block /hyperbole

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
I've never bought a CoD game....just not that into shooters really, apart from Resistance, and Portal (if Portal counts as a shooter in your eyes)

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
"Mwahahahaha >:) <
Yes, Yes, excellent. Dance, my puppets, dance!" - Activision

LOL, not really. I'd say sports games are the worse offenders. At least with FPSs they try to make each one different enough to get noticed.

Not that I play either genre. They're just not my thing.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
AdamRhodes said:
Goofguy said:
The fear is that since one genre can make stacks of cash with very little creative innovation besides a new five hour long campaign, eventually every game developer will attempt the same things. Eventually we'll see new Tetris where the only innovation is different colors for the same type of block /hyperbole
this admittedly is one of the reasons I don't buy certain games like any EA Sports title or CoD (apart from just not liking many sports or shooters much) however I'm not innocent, I enjoy professional wrestling and buy the WWE game every year, there are bits of innovation year-to-year but for every new thing there's an old thing taken out, or if not a new thing has a problem with it, so I guess this "the same thing every year sells" philosophy is in many companies and effects us all

also as a fan of Final Fantasy I think it's worth mentioning that most of the fans of that franchise complain that it's changed too much, me included, so a series maintaining the same core mechanics of gameplay may not necessarily be a bad thing but then you can't compare Final Fantasy to Call of Duty

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
theSHAH said:
Buying the new Call of Duty? Why? It's the same exact game every single year repackaged in a different setting. I'm guilty of this myself, my reason being is all my friends buy it for whatever reason and it gives me a standard fps to play with them. Will this chain ever break?
It's been said above but it's really not the same game. There's only so much you can do with "shoot guns; kill dudes". But if it helps, don't think of it as a new game; think of it as $60 DLC that includes 6 hours of story missions, two dozen new guns, 15 new maps, a new set of survival missions, etc.