Why do we keep having knee jerk reactions?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Weaver said:
Interesting. Did you catch that shareholder question about competing Sony and Microsoft products? I wasn't aware that Microsoft had a competing VR product. Maybe they were talking about that living room immersion thing.

Makes me wonder why Facebook would be talking about something that, as far as the public (and tech websites) are concerned, doesn't actually exist. Is Facebook just grossly misinformed about a phantom Microsoft product? Or are they so careless as to acknowledge what must be a secret project at Microsoft?

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
michael87cn said:
Rift was never going to be good anyway. Virtual reality is not about strapping a television on top of your eyeballs. Its about replacing the world you are in. This can't be done. It won't be done. It's all a fantasy.

The fact that peoples bodies reject the device physically, is further proof that this is not the way to go.

It's a shame because people get caught up in hype for these things and get excited. But really, you were deceiving yourselves if you thought this was going to truly be VR.

VR does not exist. It can't exist. It never will exist. The moment it does (which is never) people will prefer it to real life, and it would ruin humans... think, Matrix. Where would you rather exist? Attached to a machine that can give you any life you want? Or living a mundane life, sacrificing everything for almost nothing... like most people do...

I would choose VR. My life is going to be something no one remembers, and no one knows about. I am going to spend the rest of my life serving people who don't even notice I do it. I am going to continue to exist by eating, working and sleeping. But I will die one day, and it will all be a terrible waste. I could choose to make myself stand out, but that's not what I want. What I want is to be happy, and I can't get that by myself. VR could give me that happiness, but it's a fantasy.

Saying all this, the occulus rift might have been a fun gaming machine.
I think we all know that the real definition of VR will never been achieved in our lifetime. Its all going to be screens. However there is a combination of devices, of which the Oculus is a key part, that could get us as close to VR as possible. The whole true VR thing like the Matrix or Heir Apparent is impossible as of this moment. However this and the Omni could've changed things. For instance it could be the solution to over weight gamers. Constantly moving around in a shooter you will get a good work out and slowly increase your play time as you get in better shape.

LadyLightning

Jul 11, 2013
krazykidd said:
dyre said:
I wouldn't so much say that the Facebook/Oculus Rift thing is a knee-jerk reaction rather than an overreaction. Facebook is (rightly or wrongly) perceived to be constantly trying to push shit (apps, ads, etc) in the user's face as well as possibly sell your data to corporations to the government. So it's natural to be concerned that similar policies might be applied to Oculus Rift
This. Whether or not it's and overreaction is yet to be seen, but i personally lost interest. I don't have facebook, i don't like facebook, i don't like social networking, i don't trust them. Whatever views i have towards facebook are now transfered to the OCCULUS, until proven otherwise.
Quoted for truth and my exact agreement. I feel the same. Not even sure I care if this counts as a low content post.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
as i have explained to you in the proper thread, this was not a knee jerk reaction.

Now to answer the general question, people make knee jerk reactions because they care. When people care about a thing deeply, they will react strongly to anything that treatens the thing they care about, be it an object, a vision, an idea, whatever. In fact, id be scared if we stopped having knee jerk reactions as that means we stopped caring.

KazeAizen said:
For instance it could be the solution to over weight gamers. Constantly moving around in a shooter you will get a good work out and slowly increase your play time as you get in better shape.
except that noone would use it. Sorry, i dont want to be limited in my game solely by the fact that im tired today. Especially when i can just avoid it altogether by using regular controls. Omnitrack is a novelty you try once, thats about it.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
I have had my part in change management operations in my job.

And the thing that always gets banded around in training and preparations is that - regardless how you go about the change you are trying to implement (whatever it is), people will always oppose it. Often this will be with a very defensive attitude and emotive responses.

It's just a natural human response to immediately reject change, even if you are unaware of what it means and have very few details on what it entails and how it effects you. As to why, maybe you would need to ask a psychologist, but as far as I've seen, it is always considered unavoidable to cause trouble with change. Minimising the impact as much as possible is a skill and benefit, but annihilating it completely is mostly considered unattainable.

Exhuminator

Oct 14, 2013
shteev said:
We don't keep having knee jerk reactions. A relatively small number of people do, and they shout loudly about it, so it seems like it's the opinion of a lot of people.
This is exactly correct and 100% the truth, every time.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
FizzyIzze said:
Weaver said:
Interesting. Did you catch that shareholder question about competing Sony and Microsoft products? I wasn't aware that Microsoft had a competing VR product. Maybe they were talking about that living room immersion thing.
I think that Microsoft initiative you are thinking about, Illumiroom, was scrapped; 'it would have been too expensive for consumers' was the official reason given. But I do know that Sony is supposed to have its own VR thing. My guess is that Microsoft is just copying that now, its not like the Big Three actually innovate, they just copy from each other. (Somewhat sarcasm)