Why do we love the companion cube?

zfactor

Jan 16, 2010
Vausch said:
I think I missed something about the cube, I just burned it.
So did I. After it helped me though... Now I feel guilty...

Acually, it was probably put in as a joke and it just took off.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
Because it is our only friend in the heartless and bleak labs of Aperture Science.

twistedheat15

Sep 29, 2010
theonlyblaze2 said:
It's because it is the only character in the game that isn't out to harm you. Like Glados said, it will do you no harm.
That's a lie! Mines always told me how it would hurt me if I tried to leave it. Always telling me how it'll stab me if it ever saw me with another cube! I had to carry it around outta fear of my life... It was always watching me.... Silent, but attentively watching me. I threw it in the fire outta self-defense! It saw me carry a torrent for a sec and went into a blind jealous rage, swinging the knife screaming "If I can't have you, you'll never carry anything again!" I had to plead and reassure it there was nothing between the torrent and I, then I saw the Apature science incinerator and knew what I had to do to finally be free of it's abuse...

DuplicateValue

Jun 25, 2009
I didn't at all. Sure it was handy, but I didn't have any trouble tossing it in the fire.

What else am I mean to do, stay on that level forever?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Xzi said:
Because your Apeture Science Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

And, in fact, cannot speak. In the event that the Companion Cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

If the Weighted Companion Cube could speak ? and the Enrichment Center takes this opportunity to remind you that it cannot ? it would tell you to go on without it, because it would rather die in a fire than become a burden to you.

Now that's a real companion if I ever saw one.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
It's pretty much the only thing I've ever met in my life that didn't threaten to stab me.

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
I don't know. People are so stupid, put something in front of them, give it a name and they'll love it.

Didn't even thought it was funny...

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
how can you look at those sexy lines and ask that question? oh the dirty things i could do with that cube, long into the night. and it will never complain or call me a sick freak, because it loves me and would do anything for me. excuse me, i'll be right back.

Jan 27, 2011
I find the C-Cube love to be a bit silly, although I can see why some people love it.

When I got to that point, I went "aww...Really?", Spent a few minutes seeing if there was an alternate solution, and when there wasn't, I went "Ah well.". I opened the door, gave it a friendly pat and and then dunked it, and continued on with no regrets.

It's a useful tool and it's the only "companion" you have, but still...It's just a cube, like all the other similar cubes that exist in the game.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Woodsey said:
Its meant to be ironic.
Every cube-lover is a hipster! Ha!

no oneder said:
I don't know. People are so stupid, put something in front of them, give it a name and they'll love it.

It was meant to be a metaphore for GlaDOS's failed attempts to grasp, confine and manipulate human emotions in a rather sick and twisted way. Which is why I think it's pretty awesome, to narrate the game in such an interactive way.

Of course, brilliant me was above such manipulation. You'll never get me GlaDOS! NEVER!!!

no oneder

Jul 11, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
no oneder said:

It was meant to be a metaphore for GlaDOS's failed attempts to grasp, confine and manipulate human emotions in a rather sick and twisted way. Which is why I think it's pretty awesome, to narrate the game in such an interactive way.

Of course, brilliant me was above such manipulation. You'll never get me GlaDOS! NEVER!!!
Point proven.

The Harkinator

Did something happen?
Jun 2, 2010
Because you get by with a little help from your friends, You can't get by without the Aperture Science Weighted Companion Cube. Without it and it's little heart that singles it out from everything else represents an emotion. Something that the other cubes lack, something that the decor of the testing areas lack. In the bleak sea of emotionless environments and a sarcastic and unreachable narrator to your journey there is that little symbol.

We're just friends though, I don't love it. I also had no problems throwing it into a fire, it was just another thing it was doing to allow me to keep progressing.

thatman

Feb 16, 2011
Played portal quite a while after it had become a phenomenon and already knew about the cube before i played the game, so i was surprised when it was only in one level. Had no qualms about killing it in order to advance though so i don't get the love for the weighted companion cube. Still, it works as a meme i guess.