Why do we put up with trolls and assholes? (PSN, XBL, and Online gaming in general)

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
AtheistGuy said:
imperialreign said:
So basicaly you're suggesting we cannibal troll? I guess it's a good idea but a much simpler way of dealing with them is just to have them banned from as many places as possible. Like just a list of ban-on-sight does wonders to stop them.
Yeah, but in some cases it can be a PITA for admins to keep up on it, especially if said player keeps changing their tag - IP addys aren't 100% reliable to go by, especially for the PC community.

Reverse-trolling is really the only tactic I've found that works, and it can be even more effective if you're one of the more skilled players for a specific title. Prime example for my case, being one of those "1337" CoD4 players who only plays on hardcore TDM servers, and can always place within the top 5 out of 32-48 players each match, it's extremelly easy for me to single out a troll and start dominating them - then start rubbing it in their face (which usually starts frustrating them quickly). Sometimes the best tactic is simply to single out said player, and keep your mouth shut while you're dominating them . . . no response will usually piss them off royally.

If you spend a lot of time on the same server(s) again and again, I'm sure you've made some acquaintances with other players who frequent the same servers . . . you can use this to your advantage, too, and get them to start helping you out. I can recall one instance about a year ago on the MW server I frequent, we had a troll spawn up, and within minutes we had about 12 of us "1337 regulars" having singled the troll out - essentially making them a high-priority target. If said instance, we forego firing at each other if troll is near by, and with all of us rubbing his failures in his face (and the fact that he was racking up double-digits deaths quickly thanks to our tactics), we finally heard a "fuck you" and troll disconnected after only a few minutes . . . life returned to normal.

FamoFunk

Dad, I'm in space.
Mar 10, 2010
I feel very lucky in that I very, very rarely come across trolls and general arseholes on-line (and I play CoD, a lot!)

When I do come across them, I just mute them and ignore any messages they send. I don't really know what else I can do about them, but ignore them.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Trolls are like insects. No matter how many times you 'kill' them, they just keep coming back. I just tend to ignore them. Unless somehow one manages to enter my 'comfort zone'. Which is a declaration of war.

An analogy: if a mosquito is flying around in my house, I kill it (with fire). But if I see it flying around in my garden, I just ignore it. It's still annoying, but not worth my time.