Why do you hate the new COD IW trailer?

VincentRollsRoyce

Apr 24, 2016
I just think people don't know what the hell is going on much like you said. Although I actually like the trailer, trailers are suppose to hype you up for the actual game which I'm pretty pumped about and can't wait for it to come out.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
What I keep hearing is that fans wanted it to go back to being WW1/WW2, and they HATED Ghosts and this was the same developers as that. I haven't bothered to look into any of this at all, I just heard it from a friend of mine who has owned most of the modern COD games.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
They murdered Space Oddity. I don't even care about the actual game, but ruining a great song for the sake of a trailer is unforgivable.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
It's actually the second most disliked video on YouTube.

I don't hate it, it was just meh. I only gave it a dislike because they are holding the CoD 4 remaster hostage.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I don't, like everyone else here. It actually is the first COD trailer to get my attention in some time. Ironically, I love it because it goes so over the top and stupid. We have enough serious war games, I don't mind one that just goes "Fuck it! Have some space battles and a stupid ass Sci-Fi plot."

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I can't say I hate it. Hating it requires an emotional investment. But, if I had to hate it it would be for this reason:

The marketing budget for the Call of Duty franchise must be the highest in video gaming history. And they couldn't bother to use some of that budget to license the original Space Oddity instead of a much cheaper cover by Lady Heroin. I don't care if David Bowie's death has made the price skyrocket, you pay for the original!

But that's less a "CoD IW" issue and more a "Game marketing since Gears of War 1" issue.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Quite the opposite. This is the first CoD trailer in YEARS that looks like it has even an ounce of originality, on top of being completely over the top. CoD in space sounds much better than the shit that has been almost everything past Modern Warfare.

I'm probably not going to buy it, because I oppose DLC-fests on principle, but I'd love to give the campaign a go. Not to mention, holding MW hostage, even though it'd be a good deal for those that want both, is absolutely unacceptable.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yeah, I didn't dislike it, like others have said. I'm bored of COD games and glad my friends aren't interested in this one. I'm not really hyped by the trailer, but I just kinda clicked out of the video. I figure if this is what people want, then it's what they want. And considering the last "most disliked reveal" went on to be their best seller, I'm still thinking this is what people want. Or will buy, anyway.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I don't for a few reasons.

1. While there are many youtube videos I like and dislike, I almost never bother to hit the like or dislike buttons, or leave comments for that matter, because it feels pointless. I didn't even realize anyone actually cared(and now that I know, I still don't care).

2. My feeling on the trailer is that it's pretty much the same trailer all of them have for the past few years. War with some vaguely defined bad dudes, Shoot things, things blow up, floaty tanks, etc. I've seen it all before, over and over again. At least until the dude jumps into an X-wing near the end and flies into space to play Star Wars, which was the only interesting part of the trailer.

3. Personally, I'm pretty much Meh on the series by this point. I loved it for a long time, and even though I occasionally will buy the new game(I'm apparently one of the few escapists who liked AW), my enthusiasm is more or less gone. The fact it's pretty much a fact of life that we're gonna get a new one of these EVERY YEAR until the end of time or until Activision collapses in on itself is a big part of that.

Also, I don't understand how this is a news story.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I don't hate it. I'm just completely apathetic towards it. I have not seen the trailer and I don't really plan to. I haven't been interested in CoD since MW2.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
I haven't liked Call of Duty since MW2 so I didn't even care enough to dislike it. I did watch it though to see what the big deal was and honestly?

I'm pretty sure the massive hate for Infinite Warfare is an EA marketing scheme.
There are likebot/fake view services you can buy. My guess is that they spent a couple grand to get #RIPCoD trending on twitter, bombed the trailer with a bunch of dislikes and comments from sock accounts saying "BATTLEFIELD 1 IS GONNA BE SO MUCH BETTER" and to get the ball rolling for the mob mentality to set in from people who don't like CoD anymore.

Because lets be real, CoD is the same game every year and it's been bad for a while. It's weird that all of the sudden this innocuous looking entry causes a full scale fan revolt all on its own. Also it's a little suspect how much of the hate is paired with love for Battlefield 1, which only has a single cinematic trailer. Especially when the last couple of battlefields were also considered not very good if I recall.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
i didnt. i loved the trailer. it looked like you were the underdog, it looked frantic and seemed like activision at least tried to innovate. (they didnt, every scene in the trailer was generic and cliche but hey, its innovation by CoD standards) yeah it looked like shit, the models were outdated and i expected CoD to at least have better explosions.

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Its been same since COD4 modern warfare with different skin. and after Doom release that make other FPS games joke currently. i cant see COD IW will do anything better.

irish286

Mar 17, 2012
I'll tell you exactly why people hate it. Because it's popular to hate it. Just like WOW became popular to hate. There's plenty of reasons to hate it but it's gone beyond how bad the game actually is. If COD really was that bad millions of people wouldn't play it...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
B-Cell said:
i cant see COD IW will do anything better.
Story, for one. Likely multiplayer. Probably other little things, depending on player preference.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
I didn't really dislike the trailer at all. I mean as far as trailers go it was fairly well done. Will I buy the game? Ahahahahahaha... um, no. I think I may know what's going on with the hating, so bear with me here. I'll break down the trailer the way I see it:
0:00-0:30 Well, here's a generic invading force wrecking the shit out of major city; Geneva in this case, but it doesn't really matter.

0:40-1:12 Generic military jargon being spewed, we get a futuristic FPS battle. Some cool looking ships.

1:32-2:01 Oh snap, we're going into space. Pew, pew, pew, space battle. Nice fighter designs despite not flying like they're in a vacuum.

2:17-2:23 Hints of zero-G combat, Oh shit, neck snap in a space suit! I hope that's not a just a scripted event.

2:45-2:52 Okay, so we travel through the solar system kicking ass. That could be a bit interesting.

Now, this is important. Let's play make-believe for a second and pretend like nobody knows this is a Call of Duty game. The breakdown I just gave was as if I was viewing the trailer from this perspective. Say the game was just called Infinite Warfare or Infinite War. Then gamers watching the trailer might think "Huh, the story looks weak but there's FPS action, space battles, and some zero-G combat. This might be at least Titanfall quality. Maybe I give it a peek when the price drops."

However, since this is known to be a CoD game, there's probably going to be three base responses and these are:

The non-CoD player (me): The game will be dismissed completely. CoD has the reputation for having ridiculously short campaigns and a notoriously hostile multiplayer community. This reputation may or may not be warranted.

The casual CoD player: "Hmm, could be interesting, but I don't know. The multiplayer might suck and I've been burned before on shoddy campaigns."

The hardcore CoD player: MAXIMUM RAGE!!! "ERMMYGOD!!! What the fuck is this shit?!!! Are those vehicles?!!! VEHICLES DON'T BELONG HERE, FUCKERS!!! I swear if there are vehicles in multiplayer, I will BURN YOUR DAMN HOUSE DOWN!!! I just want to run around killing n00bs on the same basic maps I have been playing for the last ten years. RAAAARGH!!!"

And hence all the dislikes. There might also be a bit of vitriol about having to buy this to get CoD 4 Remastered, which I admit is a bit of a dick move on Activision's part.

Off Topic: What blows my mind is that some CoD players buy the game and never touch the campaign once. They pay $60 just to hit the servers. I mean, the campaign may end up being super weak but it appears that Infinity Ward at least went through the trouble to make some parts look really cool. If it's as short as I'm led to believe, why wouldn't people take 6-7 hours of their time just to check it out. I love story driven FPS games so, I don't know, maybe I just don't get it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
TheMann said:
Off Topic: What blows my mind is that some CoD players buy the game and never touch the campaign once. They pay $60 just to hit the servers. I mean, the campaign may end up being super weak but it appears that Infinity Ward at least went through the trouble to make some parts look really cool. If it's as short as I'm led to believe, why wouldn't people take 6-7 hours of their time just to check it out. I love story driven FPS games so, I don't know, maybe I just don't get it.
I once worked with a guy who talked about how much he loved CoD BLOPs2 and he played it all the time. I asked him which mission was his favorite and he responded "Oh, I haven't played the campaign". I don't ever play the multiplayer(for anything), so really, despite liking the same game, we had nothing to talk about.

But yeah, I don't get it either. You can finish the campaign in a single day, so how the hell someone buys one of these games and don't even bother to play the part they spent the most money on just seems weird to me.

Granted, he was a bit of a douche so I really wasn't missing much not having much to talk about with him.