Why do you think atheists are abundant on the Internet?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Because the internet was created by the devil.

KIDDING.

It's really quite complex, involving the stigma of being non-religious in an increasingly secular world were you only go to church for weddings and funerals and the occasional baptism. As people stop going to church there has been a backlash at the atheists (specially in America where lots of people have access to the net) as such stating your lack of faith is a social do-not-do. However on the internet where anonymity is the rule you could state whatever you want without repercussions (see also homophobic and racial slurs).

This combined with the younger generation (students etc who are less set in their ways) forming the majority of the social circles you have stated leads to the disparity you have seen.

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
Because science is everywhere on the internet (contrary to popular belief), unlike in your minds. Much easier to fight against those who desire to shove religion down to others' throats.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
because aithiests can have Internet connections too, Also there are many Christians only they sadly have been giving a reputation for arseholness by bigoted, selfish christians.
I am sick of the hate I get for my faith, some of us because of this don't right out say we believe in God.

*was that offensive? I hope not*

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
Because Atheists are so few in number (at least in America), they tend to stick to places where they wont be persecuted. You cannot be harmed through a computer screen. Despite what society says, anything other than Christianity and Judaism is taboo. Even being a Deist is enough to spawn persecution, and wide spread fear. It kills your social life, and reputation.

The internet gives a persecuted minority to have a voice without fear. At least that's how I see it.

Also this video seems to explain it better:

I have to say that I misread Deist as Dentist, which made that hilarious. Not that I am an anti-dentite or anything.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
gigastrike said:
I think it's because they both draw the "intellectual" crowd.
Seriously? The internet, great bastion of human stupidity and ignorance that it is, draws the intellectual crowd?

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of smart people online, but it also seems to attract the real arseholes.

EDIT: Oh, sarcasm. Sorry. Didn't spot that at first. Leave me alone, it's nearly midnight and I'm sleepy :p

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
I Have No Idea said:
Well, why? I'm not entirely sure, and it makes me curious. My thought is that either it's just simply that the vast majority of internet dwellers (forumites, Youtubers, etc.) are atheists, or there's a bigger religious population than everybody think but they're much less vocal.

I have nothing against atheists, by the way.

Also, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Religion section or here since it's Internet-talk as well. So if I'm wrong, feel free to move the thread mods. Apologies.
Ok here's the deal.

In the next 20-30 years, all forms of religous groups will become extremely limited, people of generation Y (1985-2010) are scarcely religious at all, generation X are a fringe group, (1960-1985) most weren't religious when they were younger, but some have come back. But the numbers are coming from the baby boomers, who I'd say 50/50.

So the internet is actually a better representation, that christians, ect, are actually the minority, and will soon be something of history, mostly seperate from society.

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
Because people who are so vocal about how much smarter they think they are in compared to everyone else come to the internet.

Just look at the Escapist.

Zing!

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Samuel Henson said:
I am sick of the hate I get for my faith, some of us because of this don't right out say we believe in God.
No offence, but I think you probably ought to speak out more. Take the hate, don't be a prick about it, and show them that being religious doesn't automatically make you a tool.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
I Have No Idea said:
Well, why? I'm not entirely sure, and it makes me curious. My thought is that either it's just simply that the vast majority of internet dwellers (forumites, Youtubers, etc.) are atheists, or there's a bigger religious population than everybody think but they're much less vocal.

I have nothing against atheists, by the way.

Also, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Religion section or here since it's Internet-talk as well. So if I'm wrong, feel free to move the thread mods. Apologies.
99% of people are atheist therefore 99% of internet users are atheist. Its really not that surprising.

Also it depends where you look, Christians for example are more into prayer and bible study than computer games as a rule so you'd be better off looking on a Christian forum if you wanted to find Christians. Just a thought.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Because Religious parents actually have enough morals to keep their children off the internet once they notice the corruption seeking in.
I love you, mum.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Woodsey said:
There's a relatively young demographic on this site, and ironically that seems to mean people are less likely to believe in a god.
Out of interest, why is that ironic?

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Because Atheists are so few in number (at least in America), they tend to stick to places where they wont be persecuted. You cannot be harmed through a computer screen. Despite what society says, anything other than Christianity and Judaism is taboo. Even being a Deist is enough to spawn persecution, and wide spread fear. It kills your social life, and reputation.

The internet gives a persecuted minority to have a voice without fear. At least that's how I see it.
Y'know, it's the exact opposite where I live. Anyone who goes to church is pretty much branded as a moron

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Continuity said:
99% of people are atheist therefore 99% of internet users are atheist. Its really not that surprising.
Interesting statistic, but I'd be interested in knowing what the basis for it is. I think a lot of people who identify with a religion are probably atheists who conform to a social group they were raised in rather than whole-heartedly believe the stories of their faith, but 99% seems like an extremely high number!

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
People on the internet are generally younger. Younger people are less likely to believe in god.

That's pretty much it as I see it. It also depends on your location: If you are British and you hang around on mostly .co.uk sites, you will find it much harder to see religious people, whereas the more america-based the site, the more religious people you are going to see:

America is the most religious 1st world country.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
The issue I have is why is there an abundance of atheists everywhere I am. Now I know a lot of atheists who are just happy to get on with their lives, but I swear I have to listen to them at least once a day. Everywhere I walk, they're being bloody obnoxious even when they don't know I don't agree with them. Seriously, majority atheists who are perfectly reasonable, do they annoy you too? Or is some fucker just tipping them off about me before I arrive?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
SonicWaffle said:
Samuel Henson said:
No offence, but I think you probably ought to speak out more. Take the hate, don't be a prick about it, and show them that being religious doesn't automatically make you a tool.
good point

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Mainly because I live in the mid-west/southern US. So yeah, not drawing unwanted attention to oneself is generally a good idea when it comes to religion.