Why does America have military bases in other countries?

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Yet no other countries have a military base on American soil?

Always wondered that...

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Because we are the best country ever, and anyone who isn't is a COMMUNIST!
/sarcasm

I think it's just part of our culture. Also, if this is true, do you have a link to your proof of this? I mean, I haven't seen any, but it is a rather bold claim.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Because 'Merica

My serious answer, why should they?

I would say the biggest reasons why we have military bases in other nations is because of current or past threats, such as the Cold War. What country is afraid of a Mexico or Canadain invasion? there is no need for a foreign military base within the U.S.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
A combination of WW2 and the resulting cold war. "Oh, we leave you alone for what, 20 years, and you start another huge war? Great, we're just going to occupy everywhere once we and these Russian dudes clean up this mess(which was kind of our fault for shafting Germany at the end of WW1)."

JustJuust

Mar 31, 2011
well... my teacher once told us that a militarily superpower countries need to be able to deploy armies all across the world within a week, so maybe the US military goes by that rule. I understand why SOME countries might want to have the US army around. I know S.Korea has US military stationed there, and that's pretty justifiable I think.

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Well, I guess it's so they can quickly mobilize in a time of crisis, keeping an eye one certain countries(the 38th Parallel and North Korea), and simple paranoia.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
We like to be able to fight anyone, anywhere, within 24 hours. As for no foreign bases here, it's because no one's really occupied us long enough and/or our government's ego won't allow anyone to.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Depends on your definition of "base." There are a couple examples of foreign military establishments in the United States (NORAD is a joint establishment, and Germany has an air force academy set up in Texas).

But mainly, the answer is that the U.S. was not conquered after WW2 and most of our military bases in foreign nations are the result of the Cold War.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
It started mostly in the cold war era. When everyone was expecting the next great war between the capitalist countries and the communist. You're only in Korea and Japan because of the Korean war and those countries proximity to china. your in most of western Europe cause of Russia's grip on eastern Europe at the time. And at the time alot of countries didn't really want you guys to leave immediately.

Zorak the Mantis

Oct 17, 2007
They are quite handy when moving troops and equipment in foreign wars, as well as conducting missions over seas, like in Iraq and Afghanistan.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
CM156 said:
Because we are the best country ever, and anyone who isn't is a COMMUNIST!
/sarcasm
That is actually summarizing and paraphrasing the rationale given for some of those bases I think. No need to have the sarcasm tag.

kellhounds

Jul 10, 2011
Valate said:
(which was kind of our fault for shafting Germany at the end of WW1)."
Actually, The US rejected the Treaty of Versailles, and really wanted little to do with European affairs to begin with.

The terms in treaty of Versailles included Germany paying for the damages dealt in WW1, the allies held Germany entirely responsible for the war. This was both crippling and degrading to a defeated nation.

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Simplest answer is because the US has treaties that say it can have the land to station military personal in.

NATO obligations make having personnel stationed in Europe a no brainier, and other areas where or are hotbeds the US wants readiness in. You might notice the US has pulled out of areas where there is no longer a need to keep personnel there. Places like the Philippines.

As for no other country having bases in the US, pretty much true. As for not having personnel stationed in the US, that's just false.

Most training bases have a large number of South American troops being trained. Whole training commands exist on most training bases for Eastern European countries. Canadian troops have joint exercises with US troops all the time, almost always on US soil. So there are plenty of troops on US soil, just no bases.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
For the security of knowing whats going on there, and to have a good launching and docking station. what, you think the US navy boats just sail around the world and then come back ot America on one trip with no stops to refuel or dock?

Plus, they're kinda like Embassies really. every Embassy has a small force to defend it, so you could technically call that a military base. just a really piss poor one.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
1: Cold War.

2: Treaty Agreements.

3: Keeping countries who we've had issues with before from getting too bold or us being unable to react.

4: Protect foreign interests.

5: Its fun.

6: Because shut the hell up, thats why.

MisterDyslexo

Feb 11, 2011
American Imperialism. Its simple history, and to deny it is detrimental to the health of your nation's people, whether it be Poland, Russia, the UAE, or America itself.

VanTesla

Apr 19, 2011
It's to protect the other countries from their selfs... We have bases on our allies soil, neutral allies, and most of our some what hostile countries. Why do they do it? Many reason and not many that would sound good in a scenarios... Many people in other countries protest daily about the bases, in Japan there have been reports of some soldier misconduct, and it's one of the reason that the terrorist hate us for having bases on their sacred soil. It's not all bad though, I know many people in Germany that get along with friends of mine that work on base. One of my relatives is stationed in Germany because of her husband works for the military, and she is a teacher that teachs both German and american kids.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Obviously it's some sort of evil conspiracy.

I have theories most of which involve giant magnets our government hides under all the tectonic plates.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Because the US government for a very long time now has adhered to the concept of "Do as I say, not as I do."