Why does Call of Duth have to keep reminding us it's the best series of all time?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Seriously. All the boxes I've seen since CoD 4 have 'THE BEST SELLING FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME' plastered on it. And every year the box shows less and less, and more dickriding from reviewers about how 'good' the game is.

TheGamerElite33

Nov 3, 2011
No its not. COD1 and UO were only good one. then series going downhill but become more mainstream.
its a mainstream franchise praise by corrupt mainstream media because its popular.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Probably because it IS the best selling series of all time? They're trying to sell you a product and if your product is one of the best selling products in your field, you sure as shit are going to advertise that fact.

I don't know about you but if I was determined to be the best human of all time, I'm pretty sure I'd put billboards up all over the place and tattoo that shit to my forehead.

"Oh hey guys. Yeah, don't mind me, you're just hanging out with a fucking LEGEND!!! Best human of all time. Yeah, it's not that big of deal but I am pretty awesome. I try not to brag, you know, stay humble. Now here are your complimentary 'tippy2k2 is the best human of all time' t-shirts"

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I wouldn't refuse to note that I have the best selling franchise if I did.

But I must admit that you do have a point. I could go into the other room and check my copy of Blops II, but I already know that the only stuff on the back is three pictures of the different modes with "Singleplayer", "Multiplayer" and "Zombies" written underneath them. There's also a note saying that because I pre-ordered I get Nuketown 2025.

That back of Ghosts looks even more bare.

There's not even any critic saying how awesome it is (or the series is) on the back, it's just pictures. I will check when I go back on my 360 and edit this post if it turns out that I'm wrong.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
It's just advertising.Same reason movies will list how many awards they've won/been nominated for on their dvd cases or posters or books will have things like "international bestseller" or "new york times bestselling author" on the cover.The idea being that people will look at the product and say "oh it's a bestseller/multiple award winner so it must be good so i'll buy it"

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Everyone else has said it, but I'll throw something else in. Failing to advertise that your brand is the most popular one would likely get you fired because you'd be terrible at your job. Argumentum ad populum is very effective in marketing.

bishopzz

Apr 24, 2009
A lot of games say something like "Winner of 120 game of the year awards", which makes me wonder if they count Facebook polls.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Gundam GP01 said:
Diesel- said:
No its not. COD1 and UO were only good one. then series going downhill but become more mainstream.
its a mainstream franchise praise by corrupt mainstream media because its popular.
They're advertising their popularity, not their quality.

Furthermore, quality is a purely subjective thing for basically every aspect of a game barring things like polycount, resolution and framerate.

Not everyone has your elitist PC fanboy taste in videogames.
Some people like JRPGs and linear action games.
I'd be more annoyed but then I realised something. Has anybody tried playing Call of Duty 1 and 2 these days? They've aged so badly.

Call of Duty 3 at least has stayed the same, even if the game itself wasn't anything special.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Well it says best selling first person action franchise of all time which is quite select and probably accurate. It doesnt say the game series is the best because they have nothing solid to back that up nor is it the best selling franchise of all time or even potentially the best selling first person franchise of all time.

The series has sold a lot they are advertising that although I cant help but think that they are mostly preaching to the masses i.e people who would buy it anyway but I feel its ticking boxes likely to appease some shareholders who dont play games and have no idea on those who do. No doubt they found someone who did not know about COD and were so incensed that they felt everyone should know how great and popular it is by printing it in bold on the back of every box.

Basically marketing but here its mostly more marketings sake. Other games have awards plastered over them to try and convince you its good each one as worthless as the last.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well...because it's true. The whole "best-selling" part, I mean. Like it or not, games from the franchise sell like hotcakes, and there's no way their PR firm is not going to use that as a selling point.

As for focusing on less and less, it's probably because there's progressively fewer new features with every installment. Also, by now the target audience pretty much knows what they're in for by now when they buy a Call of Duty game, so trying to explain it might be a waste of time.

LaoJim

Aug 24, 2013
bishopzz said:
A lot of games say something like "Winner of 120 game of the year awards", which makes me wonder if they count Facebook polls.
The trailer for Destiny is already advertising its won more than 180 awards, and its not even out yet. You gotta laugh.

Sean Hollyman said:
Seriously. All the boxes I've seen since CoD 4 have 'THE BEST SELLING FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME' plastered on it. And every year the box shows less and less, and more dickriding from reviewers about how 'good' the game is.
Does anyone read the back of video game boxes anymore? The description of the games is always cringe inducingly horrible. If anything I like the CoD box because it doesn't say anything at all. s

Picking a game I only got from Amazon this morning:

"Cut at will! METAL GEAR RISING is a stunning epic action game set in the METAL GEAR SOLID universe. You take control of Raiden, a cyborg ninja armed with a High-Frequency Blade which can cut through virtually anything. Feel the full 360-degree blade control and experience a new kind of METAL GEAR game!
It's not exactly doing the medium's claims to maturity any favours...

legend forge

Mar 26, 2010
Diesel- said:
Wow, it required the use of three "mainstreams"! That's how you know something is truly bad!

Everything popular must suck right?

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I've never played Call of Duth. Who is Duth and why should I heed his or her call?

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
AkaDad said:
I've never played Call of Duth. Who is Duth and why should I heed his or her call?
I reckoned it was some super-old NES/Atari hardcore RPG with Duth being the evil wizard at the bottom of the dungeon. Imagine my surprise when all I saw was Dog AI.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
Because it is the best selling First Person Shooters in the industry, that's why. Have you seen the sells figures anytime one of the games comes out?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
LaoJim said:
bishopzz said:
The trailer for Destiny is already advertising its won more than 180 awards, and its not even out yet. You gotta laugh.

Sean Hollyman said:
Does anyone read the back of video game boxes anymore? The description of the games is always cringe inducingly horrible. If anything I like the CoD box because it doesn't say anything at all. s

Picking a game I only got from Amazon this morning:

"Cut at will! METAL GEAR RISING is a stunning epic action game set in the METAL GEAR SOLID universe. You take control of Raiden, a cyborg ninja armed with a High-Frequency Blade which can cut through virtually anything. Feel the full 360-degree blade control and experience a new kind of METAL GEAR game!
It's not exactly doing the medium's claims to maturity any favours...
In MGR's defense, the whole point of the game is that it's over the top as fuck and crazy, so the description kinda fits

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
AkaDad said:
Duth is the lesser known and dorkier cousin of Cthulhu who is now attempting to gain some recognition by replicate Cthulhu's famous moment.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
bishopzz said:
There are literally hundreds of smaller journalist sites out there. Not many may know about them, but if they give awards then you bet the publishers are going to include that metric.