why does call of duty get so much hate?

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
Call of duty is isn't innovative. Please don't pretend it is. People get call of duty because they know all their friends will also. It's also attractive to new gamers for two main reasons. One being the reason previously stated, and the other is because it is fucking easy to do at least decent.

My brother played COD 4 and no others in the series. I once had him play black ops with me, and he couldn't tell a difference between it and COD 4. If someone can't tell a difference in two games made 5 years apart
that is fucking sad.

The reason I hate COD is not because of the game itself; it's mostly just the impact it has on the industry. COD is the game all publishers aspire to make. And they waste resources failing replicate a game that was already sold half a decade ago.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
I've never actually played a CoD game.

True story.

I don't "hate" CoD though, but it sounds to me like the epitome of "Generic Modern Shooter."

fireaura08

Apr 10, 2012
Part of it is because Activision is too greedy. Another part of it is because the wild success of the series encourages other devs to make generic clones of CoD (which are safe sales) instead of taking a risk and trying something new.

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
I actually like CoD as well. Yea, I think they are over praised and sell more than they should. I thought the recent Black Ops winning some reward for best story in a game was the stupidest thing I've ever heard But, I can't judge or hate a game for being successful.

I don't think they lack innovation, but I can see why people might think otherwise. Sure, the core gameplay mechanics haven't been changed, but there is always new maps, new guns, new features.

I can comment about the 12 year olds from my experience. Usually the douche bags are a bit older judging from their voices. High school kids maybe? Anyways it is kind of like a throwback in time for me. I, like a lot of others got bullied/insulted all throughout high school.

Now I'm 27 and I noticed after high school when I would only be around actual adults, most of them have grown up. But, when I go back to CoD I get to be called a ******/no life again! These children wouldn't think to talk shit to me in person. They are safe and anonymous online.

I actually find the prepubescent kids to be a rarity, and some of them are actually respectful and look up to their elders. I've had prepubescent kids compliment me, or ask questions on recommended class setups and such.

A lot of the 12 year olds also get talked shit too just because their voice, and not what they are actually saying.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
way2sl0w said:
Kahunaburger said:
Twilight is popular. Transformers is popular. Miller Light is popular. That doesn't make them good.
What you talking about? Twilight is awesome! ..... is what I would I say if today were opposite day
No you wouldn't because then you'd be dead.

OT:
evilneko said:
I've never actually played a CoD game.

True story.

I don't "hate" CoD though, but it sounds to me like the epitome of "Generic Modern Shooter."
Pretty much this exactly.

sharpshooter188

Mar 9, 2009
popular games tend to become disliked because they become TOO popular. No one gives anything else a chance. I had and liked Modern Warfare 1, Black Ops, and Modern Warfare 3. Didn't really play the others. Black ops is great if you dont have good online. CoD without An online connection though comes off as kind of a dud.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
I don't know why it gets so much hate. And why people go out of their way to backlash it so.

I, myself, like it. It's a fun series that tries to impress you, and it will, if you let it. Unfortunately, people don't tend to let it do that too often and avoid playing it just because it's CoD.

It doesn't deserve the hate it gets, to be honest. It's entertaining. Sure, there are some flaws but people tend to portray it as the manifestation of the devil.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
TheKasp said:
Ehm, the Twilight movies are bad
Aaannnddd you lost every single ounce of credibility you could have had. You don't get to decide what is good or bad for other people. Sorry. Sit down, get off your pedestal, and stop trying to act like art isn't subjective.

Schuldrich

Jan 16, 2010
This might seem an odd answer, but I know some of my friends were obsessed with it. It became the only thing they played, so the group of people that didn't play it grew frustrated that getting a different multiplayer game going got harder and harder. L4D2 realism versus is much more difficult when you have two randoms.

Personally, I'm not a fan of shooters. I do well in them but I'm just not a fan. I don't hate them though.

Praetox

Feb 22, 2012
I've just never been able to get into them. I mostly play single-player in games, and CoD games just aren't able to immerse me in their environments. Not saying they're bad. They're just not my thing.

Apr 5, 2008
Some words to describe why I'll never have any interest in this tired franchise:
Bland, Nickel-and-dime, £10 MP Map packs, boring, easy, interactive movie, military jargon, QTEs, epitome of console garbage, 1 year lifespan, American military, having to unlock content, the new "Elite" garbage.

I could go on but I think the above is enough to describe just how much I loathe the franchise, the negative impact its success has had on the industry, the uninteresting "USA-Always-Wins" stories and bulls**t military jargon. The only thing that interests me less is probably the gears of war/Amry of Two type games. If they were the only games I had available to play, I'd find myself a new hobby.

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
I found this on another forum but it pretty much sets the example for every single CoD fan I've met.

"man I fucking hate all these nintendo rehashes bro its the same fukken game over and over again

yeah I know dude I saved this dumb ***** before, I sang on that, like, flute fucker before.

haha yeah man and what about fukken pokemon these days, I mean, ANOTHER ONE? hahaha

but hey dude what about that new call of duty

oh bro that looks sick as shit man, gonna buy that one yeah"

Cry Wolf

Oct 13, 2010
Why does it receive so much hate? Shortly put; because it embodies that most negative aspects of the video game industry today. However, if you want some points, here it goes! These are, in no particular order, as follows:

A) Very little changes between Call of Duty games, and that's awful, but worse is that since the series achieved mainstream success a rapidly growing number of games seek to copy it.

B) Call of Duty gamers are some of the most foul and obnoxious of any player base so far, and the media attention it attracts makes other gamers appear to be awful people.

C) Evil business practices. DLC, etc.

D) Horrible PC ports.

HarryScull said:
off topic i'd like to clear up some misconceptions that particularly annoy me.

1. call of duty isnt innovative: i can see why people think this, but it is untrue, as someone who has played call of duty competitively i can tell you that although it keeps the same base mechanics from each game but other than that is vastly different (like a good squeal should be) in terms of single player its often a case of SSDD but that is not what most people buy/play it for and judging black ops 2 on its single player is like judging mass effect 3 on its online.

2. most call of duty players are 12 year old douchebags: again from playing competitively most call of duty players are 16-18 and a regular bunch of people, the odd troll or 12 year old get in but pointing at them and using it as the stereotype for the cod community is like claiming that gamers in general are basement dwellers
These really aren't misconceptions.

1. Now for my own sanity, I?m going to assume you have confused the definition of innovation with another word. I?m even going to post it below, so you can revaluate your position. How great am I?

in?no?va?tion
something new or different introduced

Alright, I?ll admit I?m worried you still don?t understand. So I'll try and explain it to you; tiny changes in mechanics between games, does not equal introducing anything new to the medium.

2. I'll concede this, simply because age is not the key point made here. Most Call of Duty players are douchebags, regardless of age. It just so happens there are more younger douchebags who play Call of Duty than other series. Happy?

Tiswas said:
I found this on another forum but it pretty much sets the example for every single CoD fan I've met.

"man I fucking hate all these nintendo rehashes bro its the same fukken game over and over again

yeah I know dude I saved this dumb ***** before, I sang on that, like, flute fucker before.

haha yeah man and what about fukken pokemon these days, I mean, ANOTHER ONE? hahaha

but hey dude what about that new call of duty

oh bro that looks sick as shit man, gonna buy that one yeah"
This made me laugh, so much. Thank you.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
HarryScull said:
As someone who has played a lot of Call of Duty, I can say that I hate Call of Duty (even as I play it) for a few big reasons:

CoD4 and MW2 were really great, I loved them. CoD4 had the occasional modded lobby that was no fun to play, but that was 1/20 games (depending on the time of day). MW2 was awesome and it is my favorite CoD, I played it a lot. Quickscoping was rampant and annoying, there were a few really shitty maps, and there were a few things that were abused, but overall, it was a really fun game to play.

MW3 however, is shit.
1. The host advantage is more noticeable than it was in MW2. If someone has host, they will come around a corner, see you, think about knifing you, and then knife you. On your screen, you suddenly see someone, and then they instantly knife you like they knew you were there the entire time. I have literally had someone come around a corner, unload a whole clip into me, start to reload and the knife me, but on my screen, they shot me twice and insta-knifed me. Most of the deaths I suffer when I play MW3 are because of host bullshit. Like when I unload a magazine into someone's face and they shoot me with two bullets, winning the engagement. My screen: I shot all around them, missing every single shot, while they shot twice and hit me in the face. Their screen: in a frenzy of gunfire, they shot everywhere around me, but got a lucky hit on my head. It is fucking ridiculous.

2. The game panders to casuals. I enjoy support because it allows me to get killstreaks by actually playing objectively and capturing flags and arming bombs. I hated that the guy who was the flag runner, objective taker, bomb planter, was basically sacrificing his k/d in order to win the match, while everyone else was getting choppers. Most people who use support, use it as a "I am no good at getting a long string of kills, so I'll use support as my pseudo-assault killstreak". It is annoying as hell when someone who is 20/30 uses an emp to kill my shit.

3. Gun balancing is much worse than it was in any other CoD. Dual FMGs, PP90 rapid fire hip fired, Type 95 rapid fire, MK14 with a modded controller, RSASS extended mags silenced with a modded controller, etc. In MW2, there was quickscoping and the FAMAS was a little overpowered. But it didn't break the game because not everyone used the FAMAS or quickscoped.

Then there is the shitty spawns, really lousy maps (I only like about 5 maps in the entire map pool), rampant camping problems, grenade shittiness, and how flash grenades are way too effective while stun grenades are almost useless.

I hate CoD because it is a casual shooter that pretends to be a hardcore shooter, that so many people will put so much effort into being good at it, rather than have fun. There is so much epeen measuring in that game in the most retarded ways, it is stupid. I have more fun playing Halo, any Halo really. Hell, I went back and played Halo 3 multiplayer for a bit, and that accidentally became a day of playing Halo 3 multiplayer because I was having so much fun. Whereas I get sick of the bullshit in MW3 after a few games.

Oh, I don't hate CoD because it is popular, I hate it because it is so bad despite it's popularity.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
Well I don't hate CoD and MW, and don't see any particular reason too. But the degree they objectify warfare is disturbing considering we have been at war in the Middle East for 11 years now and it shows no sign of stopping soon.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
BloatedGuppy said:
Hazy992 said:
Those numbers for COD are out of date:
COD 4 - 15+ million
MW2 - 22 million
Black Ops - 25 million

Also, apart from the Sims all of the examples you gave were bundled with consoles. Black Ops is the highest selling game of all time in the US and Europe.
SIR. I PROTEST.

Are you suggesting something I read on Wikipedia and took at face value was misleading in some way!?
Dont qoute me on this but i think Counter Strike has sold 26 million coppies.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
The issue is that it is the same game each year and it sells massive amounts that it frankly doesn't deserve but that isn't the main problem.

The problem you get is that there are so many people that buy only cod and they are too narrow minded to try anything else and this suffocates smaller AAA developers and publishers. Just look at THQ they have several titles that are more innovative than any call of duty game and despite this the company is on it last legs. I do know that it is partly the people running the companies fault but I can never really shake the feeling that if COD were to disappear tomorrow that more derserving developers would get their shot at the big time.

And then there is the issue of the fanbase being generally regarded as a bunch of racist homophobic swearing 12 year olds which firstly ruins the fun of the game but more importantly when the general public who don't play games think of games they will think of COD and therefore think of those 12 year old which I agree is a small minority but unfortunately they are very loud. And finally of course there is all the hate that violent video games get from the media and once again if something like a fantasy RPG that was really bloody and violent like Kingdoms of amalur was the number one video game for example any organisation that tried to blame that for young people going on murdering sprees would look like a complete moron.

So really its not that its popular its that it gives video games a bad name and isn't deserving of the praise it gets from reviewers and gamers and it gives us all a bad image in the public eye