Why does everyone ate comic sans?

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Fayathon said:
>ate comic sans

Uh, I don't eat fonts OP, that'd be weird.
Well I dunno about you, but I find Arial and Impact to be quite tasty. Also, this isn't a chan, stop greentexting. /joking

OT: Well, just look at it. It's just all-around unprofessional compared to most other fonts out there, yet it's overused in business environments.

king_katchit

Mar 16, 2011
I love how Comic Sans has become the font of choice for every passive-aggressive sign in existence.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
It's a little known fact that the creator of Comic Sans committed suicide after discovering he accidentally created the greatest font in existence. After increased exposure to it, he became jaded and pessimistic, knowing that no human being could ever hope to top his magnificent creation.

His suicide note was also written in Comic Sans.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
hyker said:
I've recently seen a lot of hate for comic sans, EVERYWHERE ON THE INTERNET
is there a reason for it beside internet random humor or something? I've searched for it but all I find is more posts about how it sucks and should be banned
Because it's unprofessional and doesn't make any document worth reading. It's not a good font for prose, and it's not a very good font for headlines. Which leaves... nothing.

Currently, crisp, angular sans-serif fonts are in style. Think Futura, Verdana, that sort of thing.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
It killed like, 19 people in Massachusetts.

You didn't hear about this? It was all over the news back in 2007.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
Because people are uptight and pretentious.

That and apparently it's cool to hate Comic Sans these days. And you don't want to be uncool, do you?

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
please do not fix the title OP to much win in it.

Anyway, comic sans is unprofessional in almost all setting. The reason people hate it is because it's just a tease. It looks kinda cool and stupid but it will never get you anywhere in life if you use it.

Unless you "ate" it of course, then you become the "sans"man

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Personally except for very important things I always use comic sans.

Just because I want annoy the sort of people who care that much about fonts. Seriously fuck them.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
I genuinely hate the font. I guess it's okay if you're using it for caption boxes in comic books and if you live and the fifties and if you suck.

Other than that, it makes absolutely ANYTHING look totally unprofessional and prevents me from taking it seriously. It's not the font itself, it's the fact that people use it in stupid ways, and I honestly don't care if I'm shown one document declaring war on homeless people by way of nuclear war and another declaring peace between all nations and billions of dollars of R&D put into fat-free chocolate that gives orgasms, I will immediately disregard the one styled as Comic Sans.

Also, I'll totally admit this - It's cool to hate Comic Sans. And it's fun to make fun of it. What's wrong with having a running joke?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I hate Comic Sans because it's let everyone else in the thread eat it but it doesn't even return my phone calls unless it wants me to drive it somewhere. Damn cocktease fonts, getting my hopes up and then stringing me along.

I keed.

IMHO, Comic Sans is like kudzu: It's fine in its native habitat but as soon as it got out it went EVERYWHERE and makes things look like hell.

I don't hate it, I hate the idiot at HP who formats their instructions-for-technicians laptop part replacement documentation using that font. Seriously, they demand certifications up the ass before they'll send me a laptop motherboard and when they send it it's got instructions that look like they were written by a ten year old because someone thought I'd be too stupid to read Times New Roman. THAT is what I hate.

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
I find it delicious with some olive oil actually.

But really, I don't really have much of a clue. Maybe it only works with comics, hence why Comics Sans.
But in all honesty, I just like to play along...

Best. Game. Ever.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
It may not look the best, but I personally don't mind it. With the right seasoning, it can be quite tasty.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RAKtheUndead said:
Comic Sans has an appropriate place. Most of the places it is used are not appropriate. In this perspective, it's better than Papyrus, which should simply never be used anywhere, but not much better.
The strategy game "Pharaoh" used Papyrus font shamelessly, and it worked there.

But other than that exception, you're right.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
GODDAMNIT!

WHO ATE THE COMIC SANS?!
I'M F*CKING SICK OF PEOPLE EATING MY FONTS!

Steve..STEVE!
Don't tell me you.....NOT MY CALIBRI!

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
I'm quite honestly sick of it so I've been eating a lot more of Tempus Sans. It gives me a bit of acid reflex though.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Because it is a whimsical, childish looking font that was originally designed for readability without anti-aliasing. As a font, its balanced in such a way that it is more readable on a computer using, for example, Windows 95, and imparts a sense of whimsy into short statements. However, we don't use Windows 95, and it has become the font of choice for large paragraphs, and even relatively serious signs. To compound this problem, it ended up being used mainly in messaging clients being used by grade schoolers and similar juvenile projects, further cementing its position. The hate for Comic Sans comes from its widespread usage in terribly inappropriate places.

http://www.kadavy.net/blog/posts/why-you-hate-comic-sans/

That's a very good analysis