Why does everyone ate comic sans?

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I think I'll have a sans sandwich. That's how I normally eat them. It tastes like chicken.

OT: OK, OK in all seriousness now.
It's just a meme that when you see it, you hate it.
I think it might because it's just not a very stylish or professional font.
It might just be that it's ridiculously overused.

It might be this comic this guy mentioned.
Aedes said:
I think most people don't know why they do it. Just a meme. Nothing more.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Aedes said:
I find it delicious with some olive oil actually.

But really, I don't really have much of a clue. Maybe it only works with comics, hence why Comics Sans.
But in all honesty, I just like to play along...

Best. Game. Ever.
Blasts! The Ninjas foiled me again!
Oh, and the olive oil is nice, but with peanut butter... it sounds like it wouldn't mix well, but it is pretty much an ecstasy of flavorful goodness.
OT: I never hated it or cared for it until Cyanide and Hapiness started making fun of it. Now, I do exactly as the comic says to do.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Wamble said:
trollnystan said:
This is relevant I think.

Sorry, don't have much else to add to the thread as I have better things to hate than a font. Also I love linking that rant =P
that link was awesome.

on topic: I personally think comic sans is an amazingly useful font in the right location. what annoys people is when someone uses it in the wrong location.

well at least it's not as bad as jokerman.
It is that =D I keep that link on hand for whenever I see someone rant about Comic Sans ;)

I agree with you by the way; Comic Sans, when used right, can look pretty good. Although I won't thank you for making me google Jokerman; my eyes, they BUUUUUUURN!

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
RAKtheUndead said:
Many, many reasons. Comic Sans was designed in 1994 by Vincent Connare, in an attempt to design a typeface for speech bubbles and dialogue boxes that looked better than Times New Roman, which being a serif typeface more useful for letters and newspapers than interface details. To do this, Connare took inspiration from the lettering of such comic books as Watchmen, being an open aficionado of the works.

For the purposes that it was intended for, Comic Sans is reasonably successful. It's not great by any stretch of the imagination, for reasons I'll explain in a while, but it's better than Times New Roman. The problem arises when it's taken out of those purposeful fields. Comic Sans has many issues which keep it from being a good typeface. First of all, it's childish to the point of ridicule. Secondly, there are notable inconsistencies between various letters, which makes the whole thing look incongruous and tacky. Thirdly, people use it in very inappropriate contexts, ranging from corporate e-mails (which should be done in a serious typeface, along the lines of Avenir or Adobe Garamond or something) to shop signs (even if the "friendly" perspective is desired, there are better sans-serif, rounded typefaces than Comic Sans, such as variants of Helvetica - yes, I know the hipster complaints well enough not to use the typeface myself, but it's an option) and sometimes places where seriousness is absolutely required (curricula vitae should be filled out in a typeface such as Adobe Garamond if in hard copy, or perhaps Georgia if on the screen).

Comic Sans has an appropriate place. Most of the places it is used are not appropriate. In this perspective, it's better than Papyrus, which should simply never be used anywhere, but not much better.
Why do people not like Helvetica? Also, why do people not like Papyrus? Also, I think I'm missing something here because having emotions one way or another towards any font at all seems to be completely absurd. Yes, some people use inappropriate fonts. You just don't put those people in your design or marketing departments. Problem solved.

cheywoodward

Dec 2, 2009
I personally find that eating Comics Sans can cure one of many ailments. I cured myself of leprosy, malaria, and cholera by eating large amounts of Comic Sans daily.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
lacktheknack said:
RAKtheUndead said:
Comic Sans has an appropriate place. Most of the places it is used are not appropriate. In this perspective, it's better than Papyrus, which should simply never be used anywhere, but not much better.
The strategy game "Pharaoh" used Papyrus font shamelessly, and it worked there.

But other than that exception, you're right.
Here's what's funny i've heard people call 'papyrus' the 'avatar font' now... as in "that local pottery shop's font looks like the avatar font"

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
comic sans is hated because it's the font stupid people use when they want to look fun and cooky.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Charli said:
Font hipsters don't like it.
Only terrorists like it, so there we go.

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Oh look, we forgot the 'h' in 'hate'! Now's my time to hilariously point it out! I hope no one's mentioned this yet, since I didn't read the previous comments...