Why does Lando Not pronounce Han as hOn like everyone else?

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Lando uses a short a sound for Han. Why does Lando pronounce his name differently?

Not important, just wondering.

Edit: got it mixed up there.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
GonzoGamer said:
Everyone else uses a short a sound for Han. Why does Lando pronounce his name differently?

Not important, just wondering.
Maybe that's a distinct accent from Bespin?

Redingold

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Mar 28, 2009
Er...

He doesn't.

I went and checked, looked over all his lines, and he pronounces it as Han, not as Hon.

He only says it a handful of times, but it's very clearly Han, not Hon.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Redingold said:
Er...

He doesn't.

I went and checked, looked over all his lines, and he pronounces it as Han, not as Hon.

He only says it a handful of times, but it's very clearly Han, not Hon.
Yea, I don't know why, I got it mixed up there. Everyone else calls him Hon, Lando uses the short a.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'm confused by this thread.

I'm editing my post because I was being silly and the OP changed their post.

Anyway, Lando pronounces Han like "Hand" without the d, but I don't know why. :D

adam352

Jan 11, 2010
Because he's Billy D. Williams, and thus can pronounce whatever he wants to pronounce however he wants to pronounce it at that particular time?

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
It's because he's cool. I've always pronounced HAn, rather than HOn. And I'm cool, ergo...

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Jus' gonna point out, that of all the characters in the series, except Chewie (who doesn't really "talk"), Lando's the only one who really knows Han, so it's likely everyone else is just mispronouncing it and Han's too polite to correct them!

Han Solo - smuggler, mercenary, freedom fighter, badass and gentleman.

Sep 14, 2009
FinalDream said:
Same reasons why Americans say Laura instead of Lara I guess!
laura =/= lara, they are different names, and it's just that, it is a name, however the person wants it pronounced is how it is.

also, an american made movie:

OT: never really thought about it much, could just be them making an accent for him, dunno

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Accents have been brought up. Here are a few other examples with real names.

Cassandra: Ca-SAN-dra and Ca-SAHN-dra.
Deloris: DEH-lor-is and DAH-lor-is.
Gregory: GREY-GAR-y and GREH-GOR-y.

As for why Han wouldn't correct him, I think most people accept varying pronunciations of their names based on dialect so long as they're not insulting. When I was in France, people pronounced my name with emphasis on a different syllable and made the hard K at the end sound like it would have been spelled as q-u-e in English. However, I accepted it and even pronounced it that way when introducing myself.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
templar1138a said:
Accents have been brought up. Here are a few other examples with real names.

Cassandra: Ca-SAN-dra and Ca-SAHN-dra.
Deloris: DEH-lor-is and DAH-lor-is.
Gregory: GREY-GAR-y and GREH-GOR-y.

As for why Han wouldn't correct him, I think most people accept varying pronunciations of their names based on dialect so long as they're not insulting. When I was in France, people pronounced my name with emphasis on a different syllable and made the hard K at the end sound like it would have been spelled as q-u-e in English. However, I accepted it and even pronounced it that way when introducing myself.
I think its weird that no one on the set bothered to correct him. There are realistic reasons for different pronunciations, but they don't really apply here since for everything else Lando has the same "accent" as Luke and Leia. Having separate pronunciations just makes it confusing for the audience.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
You think that's unusual, just watch Star Wars: A New Hope a little more closely. Princess Leia's accent changes half way through from shitty British to default American. And then there's this one old rebel general explaining the final battle plan, who insists on calling her Princess "Lee-Ah"...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
My guess? The same reason certain actors in the Lord of the Rings movies sometimes say names differently than everyone else. They are trying to be true to the script name, and not the way the rest of the world has decided the name should be pronounced. I'm pretty sure than later in the series his switches it to the same way everyone else says Han's name. It could also be that he was never told how to say Han's name, or someone told him to say it that way.

maninahat said:
You think that's unusual, just watch Star Wars: A New Hope a little more closely. Princess Leia's accent changes half way through from shitty British to default American. And then there's this one old rebel general explaining the final battle plan, who insists on calling her Princess "Lee-Ah"...
General Jan DoDonna. I remember picking up the way he said her name when I was very young and thinking, "Why does he say it so weirdly?" but then the battle of the Death Star started and I stopped caring because that was awesome!

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
He's the chief administrator of Bespin, he can say whatever the hell he wants. It's Lando, people. The guy blew up the second Death Star, give him a break.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
UrinalDook said:
It's because he's cool. I've always pronounced HAn, rather than HOn. And I'm cool, ergo...
Same here, I've always said HAn.

OT: It's most likely just an accent thing. I never really noticed it until you pointed it out. :/

FrostyFinn

Jan 10, 2013
Until recently I always thought it was HOn because that is how it sounds to me when Han introduces himself.
No matter how many times I hear him it still sounds like HOn.