Why does Starbucks hot chocolate taste different every time I get it?

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
Have you always eaten the same thing before / do you never eat before / chew gum / smoke and so on...

I find any coffee or hot chocolate changes taste depending on whats been in my mouth just before or some time before.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Different items taste different.

Just because I have two bottles of the same brand soda does not mean they will taste exactly the same.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
maybe its like a memory thing, you anticipate one flavour and get something completely different and you're like "whoa"
or maybe because they actually keep running out of what they actually use and have to make it up as they go along.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I personally don't bother with coffee shop especially when you can get a pot of coffee or a hot chocolate sachet for less than a quid, and most of the time it tastes better anyway. Why spend a small fortune on a rubbish tasting hot chocolate.

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Different items taste different.

Just because I have two bottles of the same brand soda does not mean they will taste exactly the same.
That's not a very good example, as they should taste exactly the same, since the formula for the soda would be the same for all products.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
LightspeedJack said:
Someone different spits in it everytime.
No, it's definitely the same few people spitting in it every time. I only really frequent two locations, and each one only has a couple people.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
I'm actually going to have to add in here that out of all my hot chocolate experiences, Starbucks is good, but the hot chocolate milano (I think thats the correct name?!) from Neros is just... *dribble*

It's like drinking liquid chocolate, not just some powdery stuff and a bit of whipped cream. It's like drinking the hot chocolate of the gods... those chocolatey gods.

*dribbles*

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Well, Of course you aren't alwayse served by the same empoyee, and spit differs from person to person.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
It's God's way of saying: Don't go to Starbucks...or maybe it's Karma.

No, but really, it's because they put extra much whole love into it every time to make you feel super special since Starbucks loves every of their customers with every huggy muggy Starbucks© TM SM ® beverage they serve. True story.

Don't go to Starbucks is really all I'm saying here.

Thingo

Aug 14, 2008
Well, the person serving you the hot chocolate probably eats something new every time you order. You know, so he can crap out new tastes. Like, let's say the person who serves you the chocolate is in an X-mas mood that particular day, so he eats a lot of gingerbread cookies before going to the... Erm... Special hot chocolate making room. And voila, this time it tastes like ginger. Next time it's easter , so it tastes like eggs and fish.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Brotherofwill said:
It's God's way of saying: Don't go to Starbucks...or maybe Karma.

No, but really, it's because they put extra much whole love into it every time to make you feel super special since Starbucks loves every of their customers with every huggy muggy beverage they serve.

Don't go to Starbucks is really all I'm saying here.
Baby don't go. To Starbucks.

Coffee often tastes rather different, although I make it the same way each time. It depends on... stuff. Wouldn't exactly raise hell if I had this crushing problem of the OP.

me.vicky

Jun 23, 2010
LightspeedJack said:
Someone different spits in it everytime.
Thanks for making me laugh during exam week. You are now, officially, my favorite person.

OP: How do they make the hot chocolate? It's just chocolate powder and hot water, right? Because if they're actually mixing/brewing the stuff, I can imagine the mix being a little different every time.

Also, since you're going to one of two different Starbucks places, I suppose you could just ask someone there.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Slavik_91 said:
That's not a very good example, as they should taste exactly the same, since the formula for the soda would be the same for all products.
Ah but you're forgetting extraneous factors: residual compounds from the plastic in the bottle, slight variation in carbonation or syrup levels, slight delay in the sealing process, differing shelf-life.

Should does not mean will.

Slavik_91

May 2, 2009
DeadlyYellow said:
Slavik_91 said:
Ah but you're forgetting extraneous factors: residual compounds from the plastic in the bottle, slight variation in carbonation or syrup levels, slight delay in the sealing process, differing shelf-life.

Should does not mean will.
If that actually happened on noticeable amounts the quality control of the brand would change the factors 'till they wouldn't change the product :D

Unless some1 is trying to troll a brand or they got an unlucky bottle from a modified patch that is. :p

ThePoodonkis

Apr 22, 2008
It all depends on what you put in the thing. Speaking as a Starbucks employee (Yes I know, but I need the money), the amount of syrup they put in it alters the taste. We have to put the Chocolate stuff in the cup based on size, then Vanilla in lesser amounts than the Chocolate.
Adding more/less Vanilla, more/less Chocolate, or even using the sugar-free junk, can give it a different taste.

Suki the Cat said:
Have you always eaten the same thing before / do you never eat before / chew gum / smoke and so on...

I find any coffee or hot chocolate changes taste depending on whats been in my mouth just before or some time before.
Or that. That's a big factor to what you taste, or so my manager says. They make employees know a bunch of different combinations of foods and drinks that will make the drink taste better, and vice-versa.

rockera

Jul 29, 2009
yeah Starbucks varies from person to person,
on an unrelated matter Starbucks is getting sued for using humans in the drinks.

OP: maybe you have eaten something different every time before you drink it?

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Zeithri said:
EmzOLV said:
Soo.. You'll send a cup to Sweden?
:p
Sadly, it would be cold and I fear that it would not make it in the most excellent condition all the way over there :(

However come over here and I will share one with you. We will enjoy the hot chocolate as part of cult club!