Why doesn't Warner Brothers just *make* a Justice League movie?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You might have heard the saying "Marvel creates characters. DC creates icons." I'd say it's a very apt description. I could tell you more about the characteristics and personalities of several Marvel characters, while DC's big heroes have become so ingrained in the public consciousness that explaining who they are would be an exercise in redundancy. My point is, DC already has an established pantheon of well known characters, that it baffles me as to why they don't just say "fuck it" and go ahead and make a Justice League film.

WB seems desperate to crib the Marvel Movie Universe's success when they don't have to. Not everyone knows about Tony Stark or Thor the way they do Batman and Superman, so it made sense to build up a universe and establish these characters for the non comic reading viewer. WB somehow wants to make the same style of inter-movie continuity and make a big franchise out of the JLA, and they have screwed up with their opening steps. The Green Lantern movie was a mess of ideas that never quite meshed together, Batman painted itself into a corner by killing off anything related to the rest of the DC universe, and Man of Steel may as well have been part of the Nolanverse of emotionless bleak melancholy rather than a portrayal of the Man of Tomorrow.

Why are they shooting themselves in the foot like this? A Justice League movie is probably the easiest thing to get right, and they go about making it in the most convoluted way possible. You have Superman, the Man of Steel, last son of Krypton, fighting alongside the Dark Knight, World's greatest detective. Everybody already knows everything they need to know about Bats and Supes. Wonder Woman is harder to pin down, but she has had enough exposure from the Linda Carter series and the Justice League tv series. She is a hot headed, but wise warrior who fights for truth and justice. Compared to the restraint of Superman and Batman, her more untamed attitude would be a great counterbalance to the Hero and the Brooding Guy.

Find an appropriately powerful bad guy like Darkseid, and bang, you have your movie. And that's just with the primary trio of the DC universe. Green Lantern, The Flash, and Aquaman are also recognizable enough to get people's attention. You have the wise cracking fast talker Flash who would fit perfectly into the overeager rookie roll, Aquaman is the regal warrior king archetype (think this movie's version of Thor), and Green Lantern is another voice of reason whose powers and responsibilities would make him a great addition to the team if they ever went with the alien threat.

Unlike Marvel, which needed to reintroduce several of these characters to the public, everybody already knows DC's main lineup well enough that you could put them in any movie and not need to make another goddamn origins film. But that'll never happen, since everybody wants a piece of Marvel's megahit project. And Warner Brothers seems insistent on screwing it up.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Because it would probably suck if they rushed it. Marvel has had years of planning. Warner Bros/DC need to take their time and figure out why the Marvel films have become so successful and great. Them just rushing it would end terribly and we would probably get a shitty movie out of it.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
DC's main heroes aren't as famous here in Sweden. Very few people would know who Wonder Woman is vefore seeing the movie. It'd be the Rocky & Bullwinkle movie all over again.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Warner Brothers isn't doing their DC movies like the marvel movies because they think it's the best way to approach unveiling their universe to the world. They're doing it because that formula worked for Marvel and made lots of money, and so they want to jump on the train and make lots of money, too. Don't even deceive yourself into thinking this was some conscious creative decision on their part. They're just following the money.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
You are missing the point about the Marvel Movie-verse that Warner is trying to recreate.
The Avengers was a bit hit, granted, but keep in mind that the films leading into it. (Cap. America, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Hulk) were more or less big money earners themselves.

What Warner is trying to do is do the same as Marvel Studios: Several big hits rather than one giant mega hit.
THAT'S where the big bucks are.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
Wonder Woman is harder to pin down, but she has had enough exposure from the Linda Carter series and the Justice League tv series.
Green Lantern, The Flash, and Aquaman are also recognizable enough to get people's attention.
Unlike Marvel, which needed to reintroduce several of these characters to the public, everybody already knows DC's main lineup well enough that you could put them in any movie and not need to make another goddamn origins film.
Erm... no.
Before Marvel's recent projects (the first one of which being Iron Man), an average movie goer knew Batman, Superman and Spiderman. That's it.
The Wonder Woman tv series is long forgotten. Outside of the US it was barely known to begin with.
The Justice League cartoon has it's following but it's a fairly niche thing.
Most people don't know who Green Lantern, Flash and Aquaman is, just like they didn't know who Iron Man, Thor or Captain America were, that's why we got their origin stories.

People know Batman and Superman so WB is doing a Batman/Superman crossover.

I know that The Flash movie is in the works but that's just pre-production and the release date for now is 2016 (which means that they can still cancel it).

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Batman, the flash, green lantern (unless its similar to the last one) yes.....wonder woman, aqua man, superman meh

I really want to see a flash movie

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Only Batman and Superman are truly iconic around the world. If I go ask my sister who Wonder Woman is she'll likely draw a blank. Forget about the Flash or Green Lantern.

And when it comes to DC heroes, they're all ideals and zero personality, so I really don't see a Justice League movie working at all.

Baron_BJ

Tired. Cold. Bored.
Nov 13, 2009
A live action Justice League movie has already been made, it's just that it was so bad that they tried to erase its existence, much like the glorious Star Wars Christmas Special this gem is only found on bootlegs.

Also, like everyone else has already said, people only know about Batman and Superman, Wonder Woman is one of those characters that everyone has HEARD OF, but few people know about her.

But let's not forget the GREATEST advantage to these companies, the one that WB wants most. The interconnected universe. I'll give an example of how it could work out:
Douchenozzle: "Hey Shitwhistle, you going to go see the new Plastic Man movie?"
Shitwhistle: "Nah, I've heard that it's a pile of crap, besides, who would want to see a movie about some guy called Plastic Man?"
Douchenozzle: "It's a tie-in to the upcoming Justice League 2"
Shitwhistle: "Fuck, I guess I'll go see it, I've been looking forward to that."

You know it already happens, you know it will continue to happen.
I know it, you know it, Former President Joe Biden knows it and you can fucking bet that Warner Bros. knows it!

It's a dream come true, a movie trickle-down effect for properties that are related only in that they're technically set in the same universe, even if a series of films is shit people will line up to see it purely for the fact that it's semi-related to something that is actually good.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Plenty of fans have done their best to answer your question Sleekit. This look is one of my personal favorite from what I have seen.

This one is amazing as well.
Basically you mute the colors, add straps, and give her a Greek battle skirt.

Female superhero movies fail because they have all sucked, not because the protagonist is female. Its not like Hal Jordan's genitalia enhanced his movie's chances or anything. Also, has there been a true female superhero movie outside of the old Supergirl? Both Catwoman and Electra are anti-heros at best.

DC/Warner Bro. missed their chance. A good Wonder Woman movie would have been a cross between Captain America and Thor. For a origin story type of movie her iconography fits perfectly with WW2. Not to say that they couldn't still do that but now they have to worry about not looking like a copy cat.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Someone has already said this likely, but fuck it.

The reason a Justice League movie can't happen is because the DC movies haven't done any successful world building, possibly owing to the fact that most of the movies with the exception of a couple of Batman flicks suck.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm honestly at the point where I expect DC to make a Justice League movie, and here's the thing...

I am at the stage where if it totally sucks...I won't even be mad. I would be impressed as hell.

I would honestly be impressed if WB managed to make a movie bringing together some of the biggest most iconic characters in comic book history (and I'll say it, I've always thought DC had better villains than Marvel, despite liking Marvel more) and it sucks...

That takes talent. That is a critical miss, that is dumping a bucket of water into the ocean and getting your feet wet.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Pyramid Head said:
Someone has already said this likely, but fuck it.

The reason a Justice League movie can't happen is because the DC movies haven't done any successful world building, possibly owing to the fact that most of the movies with the exception of a couple of Batman flicks suck.
Pretty sure that's why they are starting with the Man of Steel sequel, since it will have Batman in it apparently. Man of Steel was probably the start of the world building.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
It actually seemed like it was their plan a while back to just straight up make a Justice League movie after Batman Begins and Super Returns came out that had nothing to do with either. There was a cast list and stuff (which didn't include Christian Bale or Brandon Routh), but I guess after more people got interested in the Avengers and the build up that plan was scrapped.