"Why don't more games have this?!"

retsupurae yahtsee

May 14, 2012
Bionic Commando: Grappling hooks, which are fucking awesome.

Metal Gear Solid, Little King's Story, Shin Megami Tensei and Persona: Actual subtlety and complexity in the story.

Zelda, Grand Theft Auto, The Witcher 3, Metroid, Xenoblade: Interesting open worlds instead of checklists like in Ubisoft games.

SNES Batman and Robin and Freedom Force: Games that embrace the style and weirdness of the comics, instead of being overly serious.

Chrono Cross: A way to speed up new game plus to get to the alternate endings.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: A follow ball that points the way to well-hidden quest items.

Suikoden: Fun town building inside a larger game.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Squilookle said:
A few spring immediately to mind-

In Unreal Tournament, if you're crouching, you can't fall off a ledge. You physically just can't do it. It's so stupidly simple it's brilliant, and all 1st person games should have it.
Minecraft does this too. Very useful for building.

In Goldeneye, higher difficulty adds more objectives to a level. In Perfect Dark it sometimes even changes start points and opens other areas you have to go through instead of the ones you know. It's hard to describe how much benefit this brings to replayability. All games set in enclosed pre-planned levels should have this.
Hitman series does this. The new one lets you choose starting points and has achievements based on how you assassinate your targets.

Here's one of mine.

Zelda: Majora's Mask - I know the 3-day cycle time limitation is contentious amongst some players but take the time aspect out and you notice that almost every NPC in the game has a predefined schedule that they follow (until input by Link changes their schedule). More games should have this, it makes things feel more realistic, AI in games has improved substantially since the year 2000 but Majora's Mask remains impressive to me because of how they programmed each NPC to follow a daily schedule.

I also can't think of many other games that has a 'Groundhog Day' repeating cycle system. Apart from Majora's Mask and The Sexy Brutale.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Le what? Perfect Dark love? Here?? I'll take it! It's far more than any developer has shown since. Do they all just look at the game's quality of content and options, then go "ehhh...nah, who wants all that? how about more of those graphics! And licensed gun models just like every other fps! Bots with changeable AI personalities and in-game order menus for your own AI team? Fuck. That. for a game of soldiers; too much work, have online-only multiplayer with a load of swearing 8-year-olds instead. Nobody wants all this cool stuff, they want less, damnit! So. Much. Less!"

Though if the cycle of corporate nostalgia mining is to be relied upon, it should only be a couple more years till some festering old fart's memory kicks into gear and realises this is a thing that people once loved and that maybe it's time to profit once more! Though perhaps modern day business practices would not do it justice and likely turn it into a product of the monkey paw's wish instead. *Le sigh*

Feb 26, 2014
Why don't more rpgs allow me to change my cosmetic appearance without changing my gear like DCUO? I like the stat gains, but I don't want to look like a tribal, android, angel from the 90s. I like a coherent theme, dammit!

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Zetatrain said:
What you described is usually only a problem if all the enemies scale to your level.

To each their own I guess. The only game I ever felt was wasting my time with comparing and selling equipment was the first Mass Effect and that had more to do with a shitty UI and scroll speed for the menus than the game cranking out too much loot.
If you are playing through the game at a normal progression, every single quest/dungeon you playthrough will be the same with regards to how fast you can take down enemies and vice verse. Souls is a perfect example of nothing changing all game. You just level up stats / upgrade gear to keep the game the same. You don't need a loot system for going back and one-shotting those level 1 rats. Either you as the player have to over time master mechanics that have depth or the player character gain new abilities/skills that change the gameplay (or a combination of both) for there to be actual progression to a game. I'm playing Monster Hunter World right now, and I feel I'm progressing just because I'm getting better with my weapon along with understanding more of the many mechanics. Or say Horizon and that Thunderjaw seems very dangerous even though you probably have all the best gear in the game before fighting one, your experience and understanding of mechanics is what makes fights easier, not the leveling of stats or getting better gear (better gear in Horizon doesn't improve stats at all, it unlocks more combat options).

Would constantly changing weapons in ME2/3 because of a loot system have made those games any better?

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
pearcinator said:
Here's one of mine.

Zelda: Majora's Mask - I know the 3-day cycle time limitation is contentious amongst some players but take the time aspect out and you notice that almost every NPC in the game has a predefined schedule that they follow (until input by Link changes their schedule). More games should have this, it makes things feel more realistic, AI in games has improved substantially since the year 2000 but Majora's Mask remains impressive to me because of how they programmed each NPC to follow a daily schedule.
That scheduling system originated with Ultima, I think starting in 4, but definitely by 5, and started getting complex in 6 onward. Which is all around the early 90s. Elder Scrolls (which sort of is a spiritual successor to Ultima) continued it on.

Maybe I play a different set of games, but I thought it was pretty standardized by now, within the open world and RPG space. MMO's don't do it because of the world sizes or sync issues between multiple players, but I can't think offhand of a lot of others that don't.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Phoenixmgs said:
Zetatrain said:
What you described is usually only a problem if all the enemies scale to your level.

To each their own I guess. The only game I ever felt was wasting my time with comparing and selling equipment was the first Mass Effect and that had more to do with a shitty UI and scroll speed for the menus than the game cranking out too much loot.
If you are playing through the game at a normal progression, every single quest/dungeon you playthrough will be the same with regards to how fast you can take down enemies and vice verse. Souls is a perfect example of nothing changing all game. You just level up stats / upgrade gear to keep the game the same. You don't need a loot system for going back and one-shotting those level 1 rats. Either you as the player have to over time master mechanics that have depth or the player character gain new abilities/skills that change the gameplay (or a combination of both) for there to be actual progression to a game. I'm playing Monster Hunter World right now, and I feel I'm progressing just because I'm getting better with my weapon along with understanding more of the many mechanics. Or say Horizon and that Thunderjaw seems very dangerous even though you probably have all the best gear in the game before fighting one, your experience and understanding of mechanics is what makes fights easier, not the leveling of stats or getting better gear (better gear in Horizon doesn't improve stats at all, it unlocks more combat options).
In Bloodbourne i got better by primarily mastering the combat and predicting enemy attacks but increasing my character and weapon stats still played a significant role in allowing me to dispatch the enemies I previously came across much easier than before. In that sense there is progression and in a game where you will visit the same area again in both the short or long term having the sense that you have gotten stronger is important. Also your stats are tied what weapons you can wield and which weapons you use can affect gameplay later on as you find new ones. Now bloodbourne doesn't have a loot system and it doesn't need one, but that's because it already has the character stats and weapon upgrade system that would have made a loot system over redundant.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if stat progression is a legitimate gameplay mechanic then what makes a loot system inherently bad compared to leveling up stats or weapon upgrading since a loot system is another way to increase your stats. Sure, you may not need a loot system if you already have the other two, but if the game is designed properly with a loot system in mind then i see no issue.
Phoenixmgs said:
Would constantly changing weapons in ME2/3 because of a loot system have made those games any better?
Probably not, but then again those are games that weren't designed with a loot system in mind. Though I don't really think they would have made the game significantly worse.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Fire Emblem Warriors has an option that allows you to sacrifice resolution in order to play the game at 60fps.

That's a feature I feel should be standard for all console games.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Tank207 said:
Fire Emblem Warriors has an option that allows you to sacrifice resolution in order to play the game at 60fps.

That's a feature I feel should be standard for all console games.
Nioh has that as well on a standard PS4; it might be different on PS4 Pro if that can handle both 1080p and 60fps.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I'm sure this exists in other games, but Metal Gear Solid 3 had some cool ideas that I don't really see anywhere else. Basically, among some of the cool ideas the game had:

-You could take out one of the Bosses(the End) by taking the opportunity to snipe him during a particular portion of the game where he's just shitting on a dock. You only get about a minute but you can easily take him down without fighting him(which will lead to a bunch of guards patrolling his boss arena instead).
-There's a Russian Attack helicopter sitting on a base early in the game. If you blow it up during that part, apparently it doesn't show up later patrolling the area when you're trying to climb the mountain.
-There are food and ammo dumps that show up in a lot of areas. Blow up an ammo dump and the guards will run out of ammo quickly. Blow up a food dump and they'll be weaker.

I think I remember something like this in some of the old Command and conquer games(or maybe it was flight sims like TIE Fighter/Wing Commander) where doing certain optional things could make your life easier later on.

Less leveling up or getting weapons to make you stronger, but sabotaging the enemy ahead of time to limit their ability to fight back.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Samtemdo8 said:
Seeing every model in a game to appreciate their designs.

Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles gives you the option to see all the monster models and character models in the game.

And those are collectables.
Agreed, especially in games where darkness and/or horror are prevalent which makes it difficult to appreciate the subtleties that can go into character models.

Going a step further, I?d like to see a ?fly on the wall? mode, something akin to a debug mode where you can fly freely through a level and appreciate it?s design and layout from perspectives unconstrained from those of a playable character.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Zetatrain said:
In Bloodbourne i got better by primarily mastering the combat and predicting enemy attacks but increasing my character and weapon stats still played a significant role in allowing me to dispatch the enemies I previously came across much easier than before. In that sense there is progression and in a game where you will visit the same area again in both the short or long term having the sense that you have gotten stronger is important. Also your stats are tied what weapons you can wield and which weapons you use can affect gameplay later on as you find new ones. Now bloodbourne doesn't have a loot system and it doesn't need one, but that's because it already has the character stats and weapon upgrade system that would have made a loot system over redundant.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if stat progression is a legitimate gameplay mechanic then what makes a loot system inherently bad compared to leveling up stats or weapon upgrading since a loot system is another way to increase your stats. Sure, you may not need a loot system if you already have the other two, but if the game is designed properly with a loot system in mind then i see no issue.
The Souls games, you just get better at timing which is the most basic of skills in a game with combat, there's really no depth to the combat (compare weapon mechanics of a Souls game to Monster Hunter, night and day difference). Bloodborne actually forces the player to "git gud" because you can't fall back on shields or magic, you at least have to learn some reaction time to dodge effectively. Even then, Souls and to a lesser extent Bloodborne (since faster enemies) are rather easy on the player with regards to dodging and timing since most other action games have faster enemies so if you played anything like a Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden, etc.; the enemies in a Souls games are really easy to dodge in comparison because of how much slower they are.

Anyway, back to stat progression vs loot systems. Tying damage increases to character progression (or weapon upgrading) is literally accomplishing the same exact thing as a loot system but without constant inventory management. One of the things Souls does right is its damage progression, which is a combination of stat progression and weapon upgrading. This stops the player from constantly finding slightly better new weapons and having to unequip the old one, equip the new one, and then sell the old one. You're hardly in your inventory in a Souls game compared to a Diablo, Witcher 3, Borderlands, etc. Witcher 3 becomes so much better from an inventory management standpoint when you get access to the witcher school gear like the feline or griffin gear. Then, all the weapons you pick up, you just sell without even looking at them because every 5 levels or whatever it is, you just upgrade your witcher swords and armor and that's it. Loot systems really only work for end-game because what's the point of picking up some rare orange weapon/armor drop at level 5 when you'll find something better in an hour? There might be some end-game weapon that makes a particular build work, which I don't have a problem with. But if I'm playing through the game normally at level 5 or whatever and I find that level 5 dagger that makes my build, then I have to find that same higher level weapon again to make my build work once again when that level 5 dagger is outclassed and useless a few levels later. That's the problem with Borderlands, I find that perfect sniper rifle (right manufacturer and right elemental damage), then I have to find another one a few levels later, and again and again and again.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Squilookle said:
In Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, when you first load it up, 'Start New game' is at the top of the menu screen, and highlighted by default. Once you have a save, 'Continue game' appears on the menu, but it is underneath Start New, with the latter still highlighted first. This is bad. All games with a front-end menu that includes a save-sensitive 'continue/load game' option should have it appear right at the top, and highlighted ready to go. We select 'continue' hundreds of times during a playthrough. We only select 'new' once. Also in-game pause screens should have the 'retry' option extremely close to the initial highlighted option. You want to absolutely minimise frustration time for players when they mess up in game. having to memorise a long winded menu navigation to restart is poor game design.
This. This. This. This.
[HEADING=2]THIS![/HEADING]

It's so obvious and basic. I don't understand how developers keep making this mistake!

pearcinator said:
Here's one of mine.

I also can't think of many other games that has a 'Groundhog Day' repeating cycle system. Apart from Majora's Mask and The Sexy Brutale.
Majora's Mask was so fantastic because of the scheduling. I don't understand why more games haven't explored the Groundhog's Day concept. I'd love to see what could be done with more modern tech!

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
pearcinator said:

It's not exactly like this, but it reminds me of the 3 day time limit for the first couple Dead Rising games, and foolishly made optional in the next while stupidly abandoning it in the most recent one. You had to try and figure out, likely after losing several times and restarting where any given objective and survivor was and when, how to get them to safety, and how to beat any psychopath in a timely manner in order to rescue everyone or even get all the way through the story. This added a level of frantic challenge to the game but it was also fair about it. Most games either have little to no real difficulty because developers are terrified of risking alienating potential customers by providing challenge especially these days or are insanely difficult, designed to be impossible for a normal human being no matter how skilled to complete on the first try without the abilities of precognition and/or superhuman reaction times to win without failing repeatedly first.

Now, this is a online Flash game so not many may have heard of it. "How to Raise A Dragon" is a game that where you play as a dragon and determine it's fate. The game provides book entries written like something out of a nature documentary that provides suggestions to the player of what they may be capable doing as a dragon. The game is very short, but it does a good job of making the player actually feel like they are living a dragon's life for the brief moment it lasts, and that is what I'm most interested in. Not only have I found very few games that let you play as something other than a human or something that might as well be human (Elf, Orc, Humanoid Alien, etc.) but I have found hardly any games that plays in a manner that really makes me feel like I AM that thing. A zombie, vampire, werewolf, dragon, whatever, I want a LOT more games that allow me to experience what it's like to be some other being in it's entirety to the furthest extent possible rather than in an extremely superficial manner like the few games that have the ability to play as something else, and not in a temporary thing either, like a transformation or something but as the whole game.

I'd also like to seem more games do something akin to how the Gothic games do weapon proficiency. With the vast majority of other games there is no actual difference in a character's animations or stance to indicate an increase in ability whether you're a level 1 noob character or a level 100 god of swordfighting. Gothic has the player start off barely being able to wield a weapon at all, only being able to hold it in two hands with slow, clearly clumsy, and ultimately weaker swings that are strongly telegraphed. As you gain training however you become more and more effective with the given weapon in general, the animations and stance change as your skill level increases, your swings becoming faster, more graceful, and more damaging. NPCs are the same way with how effective they are with weapons, and their own animations and stance help telegraph how effective they are when you're fighting them.

Both comes down to creating an experience that allows the player to feel like they are what they are playing as. Doing so is really the whole point of video games, but few games really accomplish that.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Dalisclock said:
A lot of games have music players or radio stations(every Metal Gear since MSG4, Every Fallout game since 3) but one thing stands out in my mind as lacking.

Namely, the ability to use your own music in the games. A music folder or something that the game could pull from, so you could listen to your own playlist. This would be especially nice in games where the radio playlist is limited(looking at you Fallout 3/New Vegas) and you end up hearing the same songs over and over again.

Why does this bug me? Because Grand Theft Auto: Vice City had the MP3 station option back in 2002 and almost no game I've seen since has had it. Even Saints Row, which normally has a pretty good soundtrack, doesn't have this option.

Is it a legal issue? Is it really hard to plug an MP3 player into a game that already allows listening to music on a playlist as part of the experience? I don't get it.
GTA V on PC has that functionality. It even simulates it as a radio station.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Games that change based on system clock data. Metal Gear Solid 3 and Wild Arms 3 did this back in the PS2 era, so it should certainly be possible now. Imagine online multiplayer levels that change based on season or time of day.

A FPS with the ability to change ammo into health and vice versa.

The return of Big Head mode, shrink mode, and other crazy cheats like those seen in Turok and Goldeneye. I was glad to see it return in Arkham Knight, albeit not as pronounced.

More protagonists like Phoenix Wright who often think/say what the player is usually thinking.

Another thing I'm sure not everyone will be on board with that I am suggesting after suffering through some unfairly difficult sections in some of my favourite games is a temporary Mercy Mode in more games. If there's a certain section or boss you die to in the exact same way 10+ times, then I'm fine with the game offering you something like the Super Kong or shifting the difficulty until that section is over, then going back to normal once you get past that BS.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Phoenixmgs said:
Rangaman said:
The Souls series RPG mechanics. I'm a bit biased but I still firmly believe that's the best levelling system I've ever seen.
Souls has a pretty bad leveling system because the gameplay never changes from the very beginning (it's the very same problem with loot systems as I talked about right above this). Your character and gear just get better stats over the game but you are still doing literally the same exact thing all game.
Except the way the way the Souls system works, you can change playstyles mid-game without completely derailing yourself.
Compare Souls to like Bayonetta where when you've mastered the dodge offset mechanic and your totally playing the game differently from when you started. Whether we're talking over-the-top spectacle fighters or slower methodically paced action RPGs, the player should either be changing/improving their playstyle by mastering mechanics or the player character getting new abilities/skills that change gameplay; Souls features neither of those elements.
Are you..shitting me? Oh no, you must be right. Clearly the reason I've gone from a 50-hour playthrough to 15-hours playthroughs of DS1 isn't because I improved my playstyle and got better at the game. Clearly it's just because used the same tactics and weapons every time (I didn't).

The whole point of Dark Souls is that it's a short game (it is, you beat every boss in a 15-20 hour run if you're even remotely competent at the game) so that you can try out multiple playstyles. The same way Chrono Trigger was short so players would go back for the multiple endings.

Also, Role-Playing Game. The whole point is to play it your way. If the game starts telling you how to play it, it is no longer a proper RPG. And mores to the point, Bayonetta (which I have not played BTW, and have no desire to play) is not an RPG. Constantly changing up the gameplay work in a pure Action game like Bayonetta or Call of Duty, but in an RPG its the worst thing you could do.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
Squilookle said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Everything in general could use more jetpacks.
Everyone's always raving about those inertia-ridden jetpacks. But deep down everyone knows grappling hooks are where it's really at...
Let's be honest, it'd be fine if it was something as small as jumping upgrades(double jumps, super jumps, wall jumps, etc.).
The point of it all is to give the player vertical mobility, because it's a massive improvement to the quality of life(finally you can bypass chest-high walls!) and because it can quite literally give you a new perspective on traversing the map and fighting enemies.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Naqel said:
Let's be honest, it'd be fine if it was something as small as jumping upgrades(double jumps, super jumps, wall jumps, etc.).
The point of it all is to give the player vertical mobility, because it's a massive improvement to the quality of life(finally you can bypass chest-high walls!) and because it can quite literally give you a new perspective on traversing the map and fighting enemies.
One of the greatest examples in the last decade for this, I think, is Super Mario Odyssey. It's not made immediately obvious what you can do with Mario's hat, but if you watch any speedrun of the game, you'll see how they use it to overcome seemingly insurmountable obstacles that you'd normally have to go around. And the game designers let it happen, seeing the unexpected paths that open as a result of Mario's mobility as a genuine part of the game, rather than a design flaw to be patched out.