Why don't more self proclaimed Nerds watch Wrestling?

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
What? I saw this post title and just thought "What the hell?" It sounded so bizarre I just had to click on it and see if you were being serious.
As for why not - it's the same kind of entertainment as monster trucks and NASCAR, only even more redneck. It's not so much why not, as why the hell would we?

[sub]Now if you'll pardon me, I'm off to read some Chaucer while sipping pinot noir. Pip-pip, chaps![/sub]

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I used to like wrestling, back when a face was a face and a heel was Nikolai Volkoff. The nineties really did kill wrestling for me. Too many steroids, everybody was a heel, no more George the Animal Steele. Nah they lost me a long time ago.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
What? I saw this post title and just thought "What the hell?" It sounded so bizarre I just had to click on it and see if you were being serious.
As for why not - it's the same kind of entertainment as monster trucks and NASCAR, only even more redneck. It's not so much why not, as why the hell would we?

[sub]Now if you'll pardon me, I'm off to read some Chaucer while sipping pinot noir. Pip-pip, chaps![/sub]
Didja even read my first post?
And what do you mean, same "kind" of entertainment as NASCAR or Monster Trucks?
Pro Wrestling: Over 1 century old, and spread across all 7 continents. Invented in Europe, basically.
NASCAR: Less than a century old, exclusively American.
Monster Trucks: Less than 4 decades old
Seriously though, I post Jushin Liger and you think "Rednecks!"
I post Tiger Mask 1 (Satoru Sayama) vs Villano Tercero, having a match IN JAPAN.
and that SCREAMS redneck to you?
Read the op next time.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
TestECull said:
Eh...It's all fake, and knowing that puts me off of even wanting to try it.
Did that put you off of watching movies?
Please, just try any of the vids I've posted in the thread so far.
There's three just above you, and 2 vids on page 1, I think.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
SadakoMoose said:
lithium.jelly said:

Pro Wrestling: Over 1 century old, and spread across all 7 continents. Invented in Europe, basically.
I post Tiger Mask 1 (Satoru Sayama) vs Villano Tercero, having a match IN JAPAN.
Read the op next time.
Yeah, I'm sorry man, but it honestly does still scream "redneck" to me. I did read your post in full before commenting.
I do, however, apologise for offending you as that wasn't my intention, but... yeah. Pro wrestling. As redneck a sport as there ever was. In my opinion, anyway. That doesn't mean you're a redneck for enjoying it, we all have our interests that might not be shared by others. Hell, I'm a brony, after all and my housemate thinks I'm a freak for that.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
SadakoMoose said:
lithium.jelly said:

Read the op next time.
Yeah, I'm sorry man, but it honestly does still scream "redneck" to me. I did read your post in full before commenting.
I do, however, apologise for offending you as that wasn't my intention, but... yeah. Pro wrestling. As redneck a sport as there ever was. In my opinion, anyway.
But what do you have to back up that opinion?
Even then, what about high school football? Muddin'? Out of season, unlicensed hunting?
That thing where you cover your arm in bait and use it to catch cat fish?
I'm still not seeing the redneck connection.
Not offended, just confused.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
TestECull said:
SadakoMoose said:
TestECull said:
Eh...It's all fake, and knowing that puts me off of even wanting to try it.
Did that put you off of watching movies?
No, but I also don't have to break it to people that movies are fake either. Besides, the acting is much much muuuuuuuch better in movies. At least they look like their fists connect.

I've seen airings of WWE where, even on my 31" SDTV, I could clearly see no contact was made, yet both parties reacted as if contact was made.

Please, just try any of the vids I've posted in the thread so far.
There's three just above you, and 2 vids on page 1, I think.
...My mind is made up on wrestling. Watching foreign wrestling I can only find online isn't going to change my mind on the matter if the multi-billion dollar conglomerate I can watch on USA can't.

Now if they were real fights I might be inclined to watch a vid or two.
Your not even trying.
That's like saying:
"If a multibillion dollar Michael Bay disaster can't make me like action movies, I don't think this "Jackie Chan" fellow could"
Don't be the Green Eggs and Ham guy

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
SadakoMoose said:
lithium.jelly said:
SadakoMoose said:
lithium.jelly said:

Read the op next time.
I do, however, apologise for offending you as that wasn't my intention, but... yeah. Pro wrestling. As redneck a sport as there ever was. In my opinion, anyway.
But what do you have to back up that opinion?
Even then, what about high school football? Muddin'? Out of season, unlicensed hunting?
That thing where you cover your arm in bait and use it to catch cat fish?
I'm still not seeing the redneck connection.
Not offended, just confused.
It's because, in the US at least, pro wrestling is very much a redneck thing. You might as well ask why any of the other things you mentioned had redneck connotations.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
TestECull said:
SadakoMoose said:
Your not even trying.
That's like saying:
"If a multibillion dollar Michael Bay disaster can't make me like action movies, I don't think this "Jackie Chan" fellow could"
Don't be the Green Eggs and Ham guy
Might I ask why you're so insistent I watch a video I clearly don't want to watch?

Also, action movies are 75% special effects and 25% shit exploding, so I wouldn't call anything Michael Bay released a disaster. They're excellent action movies, as they consist of nothing but CGI explosions. I still watch Rush Hour and Who Am I? from time to time, but just the same I also enjoy watching Transformers 1 and 2. Probably going to watch three as well...not in theaters, fuck no, the only movie on the planet that I would go to a theater to watch is the Senna documentary, but it will end up on HBO sometime soon.
I'm insistent because I care what other people think.
I was trying to do a metaphor.
The WWE isn't a very good example of pro wrestling.
I have always, personally, thought that Hong Kong action films were a better example of what action cinema could be.
Maybe I should have compared beers.
The WWE is mass produced, and watered down.
What I'm posting is either Imported or Indie.
Just give it a chance, you have NOTHING to lose.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Your argument sounds weeabooish, Japan loves wrestling, so you should to! They like anime and like this completely unrelated thing so you should love that thing too! Even self-proclaimed gamers don't love every genre of game, and a lot aren't even interested in other nerdy things such as anime or comics.

Moviebob did a better job than you linking nerds and sports fans, and yet even if you look at them that way and see they are extremely similar people still like/hate one or the other, and others like/hate both.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
TehCookie said:
Your argument sounds weeabooish, Japan loves wrestling, so you should to! They like anime and like this completely unrelated thing so you should love that thing too! Even self-proclaimed gamers don't love every genre of game, and a lot aren't even interested in other nerdy things such as anime or comics.

Moviebob did a better job than you linking nerds and sports fans, and yet even if you look at them that way and see they are extremely similar people still like/hate one or the other, and others like/hate both.
I was just trying to get people interested...
It seemed to me like there was a lot of cross over between the two general subcultures, and that maybe we could make some more fans with that in mind.
Many of the people I've met who say they don't like pro wrestling, have never seen "the good stuff". Not all, just a good chunk. More often than not they've only ever seen some really crappy, watered down stuff by flipping through the channels and accidentally catching some Monday Night RAW. Either that, or they've only ever heard about it through friends or heard jokes about it. Either way, they haven't seen anything like I've posted, and it's my personal mission in life to make sure they do.
Every Continent, every country, any language.

fanozelda9

Dec 10, 2009
SadakoMoose said:
fanozelda9 said:
I wish CHIKARA was more popular, what little I've seen is great. Unfortunately, I live in the USA with dialup, so I gotta watch what's on TV or happens live near me, which gives me the options of WWE, TNA, some others that are on TV, that I forget to watch, and the local wrestling company near where I live.
Sorry to hear that...
At least you get to support local wrestling, right?
Yeah, they have some good matches, and on occasion, someone like a teacher from around here will get into a match, which makes things interesting. On a different note, this is one of the reasons CHIKARA seems cool to me.

http://youtu.be/uhov41UQbUI

Sorry, don't know how to embed this.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
fanozelda9 said:
SadakoMoose said:
fanozelda9 said:
I wish CHIKARA was more popular, what little I've seen is great. Unfortunately, I live in the USA with dialup, so I gotta watch what's on TV or happens live near me, which gives me the options of WWE, TNA, some others that are on TV, that I forget to watch, and the local wrestling company near where I live.
Sorry to hear that...
At least you get to support local wrestling, right?
Yeah, they have some good matches, and on occasion, someone like a teacher from around here will get into a match, which makes things interesting. On a different note, this is one of the reasons CHIKARA seems cool to me.

http://youtu.be/uhov41UQbUI

Sorry, don't know how to embed this.
Oh well that's actually quite easy!
just put in brackets:
[youtube
and the then =PYj3zfOCaYg part from the url
so it'll look like
[youtube= PYj3zfOCaYg without the spaces and with a bracket at the end
if all goes well, you get this:
[MEDIA=youtube]PYj3zfOCaYg[/MEDIA]

BTW, what your local fed called? Sounds interesting.

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
Mostly because some "nerds" appreciate reasoning for violence and aren't brutish or don't enjoy watching strangely dressed men fight. Also one of your reasonings is
SadakoMoose said:
First of all: Japan loves pro wrestling.
Why is that a reason?
Why should I appreciate something that I know I don't like just because "Japan likes pro wrestling."? Why would I go out of my way to like something because you and Japan like it? Your answer seems to be because I'm a "nerd" and apparently I have to become a fan of anything liked in Japan.You know what? You're right! New post right here. Ready? BASEBALL! More nerds should like Baseball. Japan likes it!

Excuse me, but I have nothing against people who like wrestling or baseball or the two.... sports? Sport and........ What is wrestling? Either way, it seems that you're preaching at me what I should like. You seem like your trying to force it on so people. You're at least not being Hispterish and refusing to talk about it, but you're post could have been styled as a "You're thoughts on X, and your reasoning?"
No hate for wrestling though. You like what you like, and I don't give a crap(I do give a 2 paragraph post though).

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Sober Thal said:
So because of the 'comic book' style storytelling and a few wrestlers use 'anime themes' nerds should love it?

Epic Fail??

Nice try, but no.
I find that I agree with this fine, upstanding Escapist.
Still, I watch wrestling when it comes on the telly.

SadakoMoose

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2009
TheScientificIssole said:
Mostly because some "nerds" appreciate reasoning for violence and aren't brutish or don't enjoy watching strangely dressed men fight. Also one of your reasonings is
SadakoMoose said:
First of all: Japan loves pro wrestling.
Why is that a reason?
Why should I appreciate something that I know I don't like just because "Japan likes pro wrestling."? Why would I go out of my way to like something because you and Japan like it? Your answer seems to be because I'm a "nerd" and apparently I have to become a fan of anything liked in Japan.You know what? You're right! New post right here. Ready? BASEBALL! More nerds should like Baseball. Japan likes it!

Excuse me, but I have nothing against people who like wrestling or baseball or the two.... sports? Sport and........ What is wrestling? Either way, it seems that you're preaching at me what I should like. You seem like your trying to force it on so people. You're at least not being Hispterish and refusing to talk about it, but you're post could have been styled as a "You're thoughts on X, and your reasoning?"
No hate for wrestling though. You like what you like, and I don't give a crap(I do give a 2 paragraph post though).
I really hate to seem like I'm forcing it down people's throats, but it's an issue I feel strongly for.
I never said anyone would "have" to logically become a fan, because of how popular it is overseas. I was just trying to establish some common threads, to maybe lure some people over to wrestling fandom.
There are a surprising number of people who have never seen wrestling outside of maybe like 5 minutes of crappy WWE stuff, while channel surfing.
I've made it a personal mission of mine to show people the good stuff.
It'd be like if barely anyone had seen Fantasia or Secret of NIMH or anything by Ghibli, and all most people had ever heard of animation was Family Guy.
It's an outrage to me, that so many different people all over the world have basically been denied access to GOOD pro wrestling, because of cultural accidents (like the Spanish Civil War or ITV Cancelling World of Sport/Big Daddy accidentally killing a man) or because of Vince McMahon's predatory business practices.
I must correct it!