Why don't we donate?

Mar 18, 2010
Recently, I was playing the hell out of Spelunky, an indy (indie?) game I personally love. It occured to me that I have rarely, if ever, in real life (I have online) met someone who has donated to any indie (indy?) games. I'm sure there are donaters out there, the maker of Dwarf Fortress lives entirely off of the proceeds from it from what I understand.

But what I don't get is we buy games that we hate all the damn time. I know a lot of people on here hate Halo, right? Well, I'm betting that you buy every damn Halo game that comes out just so you can review it and say how shitty it is, whether it be to a big-ass crowd or just a couple of friends. Don't take that an insult - if I had a 360, I probably would too. We buy games that suck for the reason that either, A, we don't know they suck yet, or B, we know they suck and want to play it so we know how much and why it sucks.

Yet I know plenty of people who play games like Spelunky, Dwarf Fortress, hell, even something like IWBTG, say, "How nice," and drop it.

Look back at all the shitty games you bought last year, the year before. Think about each one - if you didn't buy used, they were probably about 60 bucks. Why? Why do we have to shell out so much money yearly, for games that we know suck, or don't want to wait for reviews to tell us it sucks, when we could be doing something productive with it?

Maybe I'm insane, but I think it's time we start donating to indy/indie developers instead. Next time you play something like Passage or Today I Die, why not say, "hey, one less shitty game," and donate 60 dollars to it?

Hell, better yet, why don't we take that money and distribute it to indy games based upon quality? Say you play a hypothetical game, call it "Benjamin Franklin's Big Adventure" or something like that. So you really, really like BFBA. You think it would be worthy of being on a shelf in a videogame store. So you donate 60 bucks to the guy, which his telling him, "Wow! This is really good!" Now, say he makes a sequel - BFBA2. It sucks. Hard. Donate to him, like, 5 bucks. "Well, that's not very good," he says, "I should try harder!" Of course, I write dialogue like it's from a 50's PSA, but that's besides the point.

Why don't we start doing stuff like that, reinforcing what we really love with cash and saying, "Well, this sucks," with less cash, or, hell, even just an e-mail/message to the developer saying, "Not good," and giving him/her critique on how to improve their game?

Right now, all we're doing is encouraging blandness and stupidity, buying stuff like the Halo series and Gears Of War and all that. Don't get me wrong, those ARE good games, in their own right, but we need more than that. And if all that we do is buy that, no matter how crappy reviews we give it, if it sells as much as Halo, they will make a sequel. Because they know that we'll buy it, no matter how much it sucks donkey balls. We're encouraging stupidity and sequels, rather than originality, creativity, and innovative but good gameplay.

That's just wrong.

ghalkhsdkssakgh

Jul 16, 2009
I've bought a fair few indie games - Armageddon Empires, Braid, AAAAAaAAAAaaAAAaaaAAaaaaAaaaaa! (Got it in one), Audiosurf; and I've downloaded plenty of free ones too. I guess the main reason I haven't donated is that, at 17, I don't exactly have a steady paycheck yet. Or one at all, really.
But you make good points. I guess it's human nature for a lot of people to pay for things only if they have to. If Spelunky, Cave Story, or IWBTG came with price tags, I'd still happily pay for them (well, happily and IWBTG rarely go together, but you get the idea).

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
We're so used to being told exactly how much to pay for things that when we're given a choice, we aren't sure exactly what to do and ignore it.

Mar 18, 2010
@Madbird: Out of curiosity, do the game devs from any game but the first get the portion of the money from that trade?

@Mezzamine: You won't donate to them, but if they had a price tag, you'd buy them? ...What?

@Tharwen: Interesting take on it, guess relates to Mezza's post above.

Audioave10

Mar 24, 2010
The kids will buy the shiny games and developers will only see sales numbers.
The publishers are mostly to blame.

Mar 18, 2010
xmetatr0nx said:
Wait youre blaming others for your shitty purchasing mistakes? Nevermind the fact that a good or bad game is completely subjective...
Wait, what? You're... what? I don't... where did you get this from?

Myself, I don't buy games unless I know they're going to be good anymore - and because I'm a PC gamer pretty exclusively, that's easy... along with that, I actually DO donate to indie devs because I don't spend as much money on shitty games.

Don't automatically assume someone's a whiny *****.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I don't buy games that suck. I only buy games I know are good. The rest I rent or borrow. And I don't donate because my budget is stretched thin as it is...

Cornish

Mar 19, 2010
I wouldn't donate; even if I played such games (which I don't do), because they can't hold my attention for longer than ten minutes.

Besides that, I don't even buy that many games. I used to, but it's not worth it... I don't have the money for it and even if I did, it's not worth it.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
Because I'm tight.

And have no income currently, being 17 and studying for exams.

Cornish

Mar 19, 2010
SnowDensOfYesteryear said:
Cornish said:
I wouldn't donate; even if I played such games (which I don't do), because they can't hold my attention for longer than ten minutes.
Mind if I question what indie games you have played?
flOw - It was different, but... well I've played it twice for a very short time.

Sam n' Max - Fair is fair, this one was okay, but costs money... so I guess that's why I ruled it out of my statement.

Echoes - ...

And a few more, most of them spawned out of my memory because it's being a while since I tried any new once. Though regarding buying big blockbusters you've got nothing to fear from me... I only buy a few that are worth it. Halo 12 and Call of Duty 24 can bugger of if you ask me.

Zannah

Jan 27, 2010
Well I don't buy new releases for the same reason I don't donate... I don't have the bloody money...

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
SnowDensOfYesteryear said:
xmetatr0nx said:
Wait youre blaming others for your shitty purchasing mistakes? Nevermind the fact that a good or bad game is completely subjective...
Wait, what? You're... what? I don't... where did you get this from?

Myself, I don't buy games unless I know they're going to be good anymore - and because I'm a PC gamer pretty exclusively, that's easy... along with that, I actually DO donate to indie devs because I don't spend as much money on shitty games.

Don't automatically assume someone's a whiny *****.
Don't pay attention to him. He's just the local troll. In all the posts I've seen him make, he picks random flaws of people and tries to get a reaction.

OP: I don't really play indie games... Mainly because I still kind of view them as extended Flash games. Braid was pretty good, though. Also, I don't have too much money at the moment so I tend to only buy games my friends are playing so we can play together. Or cheap big-budget games. I mean, if I can buy Mass Effect for $5, or an indie game for $5... I'm afraid I'll buy Mass Effect. Maybe once I earn a steadier income I'll check out the indie game scene more. Don't get me wrong; I'm not anti-indie or something. Hell, I have certain plans myself... I just can't right now.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
If I like an indie game, I donate to it by buying it after playing a demo.
I've liked Castle Crashers and AAAAAaAAAAaaAAAaaaAAaaaaAaaaaa! enough to buy them. So, I've effectively donated my money to them.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
There is actually a reason why we don't(or at least I don't) donate money to indie developers. All gaming companies started as indie developers and people started paying them then we get Activision, Ubisoft etc. People make indie games because they want to and sure a few donations here and there can help them but give them to much and BAM you get MW2. If someone sees that making indie games is profitable we would be flooded with shitty flash games and the good ones would be drowned. You would have generic little pieces of shit and all the good indie developers would make less money since no one can find their games.

Why should they make a game if its going to be washed away in a matter of seconds by trash? I don't donate regularly because games are made for passion not profit and those two rarely mix well. Not to mention that the big companies would fail due to lack of profit and then we would be ruled by Zynga as our flash game overlords who would make us play farmville for a minimum of 8 hours a day. *crys*

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
HontooNoNeko said:
There is actually a reason why we don't(or at least I don't) donate money to indie developers. All gaming companies started as indie developers and people started paying them then we get Activision, Ubisoft etc. People make indie games because they want to and sure a few donations here and there can help them but give them to much and BAM you get MW2. If someone sees that making indie games is profitable we would be flooded with shitty flash games and the good ones would be drowned. You would have generic little pieces of shit and all the good indie developers would make less money since no one can find their games.

Why should they make a game if its going to be washed away in a matter of seconds by trash? I don't donate regularly because games are made for passion not profit and those two rarely mix well. Not to mention that the big companies would fail due to lack of profit and then we would be ruled by Zynga as our flash game overlords who would make us play farmville for a minimum of 8 hours a day. *crys*
Some how I don't see guy who made Dwarf Fortress turning into Activison.

Wait your reason for not donating to the indie developers who make a game you like is because you are afraid any tiny amount of donation money they make will corrupt them and turn them into Ubisoft?

You're logic is bad and you should feel bad.

Edit: I donated 10 dollars to the guy who made Dwarf Fortress and bought Mount & Blade back when it was still a beta.