Why don't you like Matt Smith as the Doctor?

PeacanPie

Jan 17, 2011
I dislike the whole 'new' cast... I stopped watching after the first 2 or 3 episodes with Matt Smith and Amy Pond. >_>

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Same reason I didn't like Bioshock. It wasn't System Shock 2.

I don't like Matt Smith because he's not David Tennant.

Alon Shechter

Apr 8, 2010
Mackheath said:
Just_A_Glitch said:
I love Matt Smith as the Doctor. If the rest of this season continues being as good as last season was and the first half of this one was, he'll overtake Tennant as my favorite, or at least be equal with him. I think most people who don't like Matt as the Doctor really just dislike how romanticized he's become over the years. Or the fact that he isn't Tennant.
This. Tennant seems to have become God in the eyes of much of the fanbase. Just because he's handsome...
Are you implying that his handsomeness is not of godly level?

HooterNanny

May 19, 2010
Honestly, I don't mind Matt Smith as the Doctor, i just don't like Steven Moffat as the writer. Dialogue just doesn't seem to 'flow' in his writing, which is odd, because i really liked the episodes he did when Russell T Davies was writing.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
I much prefer his take on the Doctor to Tennant's but he's still too young-looking for me to really buy into him, and he occasionally smacks of trying too hard. While the characterisation of David Tennant's Doctor was shit-eatingly awful beyond mortal comprehension, I do think DT was the better actor overall.

The Human Torch said:
I don't get why one show needs to change it's main actor every season. It feels like a very hard series to get into.
Well, it started because the first actor to play the Doctor was getting very old and frail, so if they hadn't started changing the lead the show would have ended back in the frakking sixties. And since then, every actor has taken the role on the understanding that it's only going to be a limited tenure, so it's pretty much a core part of the program.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
Reminds me WAAAAAYYY too much of Crispin Glover. Not that I dislike Crispin GLover, I just have a hard time liking him as the doctor...

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I dont care for Dr. Who. And i have no clue who Matt Smith is.

But my mom really enjoys the show, and she says "Matt Smith is a pretty boy and doesnt deserve the honor of playing the Doctor."

Iggy Rufflebar

Mar 26, 2008
love the guy he's a great laugh, the only problem I have is that his outfit is similar to david tennant's get up.

although that is a very minor thing but still.

Fez's ARE cool, bowties, not so much.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
It took me a while to get used to him, but now I think he's really good. However, I still don't think he's as good as David Tennant, nor as attractive. Although Amy Pond and Rory are awesome as companions. Plus, Scottish and red hair?

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
l33tness08 said:
Simply put he's not David Tennant and his companion isn't Billie Piper. Not a good reason, but there it is.
Ugh, I think I must be the only person (I know, I know, it was hyperbole) that really hated Rose as a companion. Only one that was worse was Donna.

Offworlder_v1legacy

Ya Old Mate
May 3, 2009
Matt smith is great but Christopher Eccleston is still my favourite, probably cos he was the first doctor I ever saw and thought he was boss.

NeonWraith

Nov 25, 2008
Plinglebob said:
ScumbagEddie said:
David Tennant was more energetic, I suppose. I haven't seen enough of Smith to care one way or the other. Although, he is pale enough to glow. Isn't it international law that all actors own tanning beds?
No tanning bed can stand up to the greyness of an English summer!!
It's even worse than that. Tennant is Scottish, and 99% of Dr. Who is filmed in Wales. Deepest, darkest Wales. In winter.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
I think a lot of this is due to Tennant's Doctor and his development as an "I don't want to die" survivalist who even tries to break Time Lord rules in defiance of his prophesied death and regeneration.

People became attached to David and often when a TV character says they don't want to die and they're the protagonist, well, they don't. The angst and despair of that with Ten was very drawn out.

That and Tennant's Doctor is simply an incredibly hard act to follow. This actor does Shakespeare properly for goodness' sake. Most actors to play the Doctor before and after him just don't have his theatrical subtlety in my view. And I think the legions of fans who are displeased with Smith agree with me there.

I do enjoy watching Smith. As many have already said - he's not Tennant and there's the rub.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
SextusMaximus said:
I don't know a single person who think that, he's the reason I started watching.
Ditto. I saw a few Eccleston episodes and quite liked them but they never got me hooked. Then I started really watching when Smith came along. He's awesome, I love everything about him as The Doctor

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I don't get the hate either. I think he's hilarious. And awesome.

The Human Torch said:
creationis apostate said:
The Human Torch said:
I don't get why one show needs to change it's main actor every season. It feels like a very hard series to get into.
it isn't every season. Matt smith is on his third and david tennant was on for about 4 or 5. Get your facts straight before assuming mate.
Still too much, it always annoys the crap out of me whenever a movie/series decides to switch actors. So yeah, this is not for me.
There's a story mechanic which makes this a very viable (and awesome) excuse. Also, the show's from Britain. That should definetly mean something to you.

Appleshampoo

Sep 27, 2010
It's not Matt Smith I don't like, I really like him as the Dr. It's just...I dunno. There's something about this series that hasn't appealed to me at all, so I just stopped watching. I think it might be the change it writers maybe, not sure.

TheHighDino

May 1, 2011
I've only really watched Doctors 9,10 and 11 and I loved David Tennant (not gay) because he was such a good actor, he could be eccentric and crazy but also pull of being devastated and angry really well and i'm not saying Matt Smith can't act, I don't think he can act the Doctor as well as Davis Tennant. Oh and the new script writing doesn't help.

Oh and they changed the Daleks. The gold was awesome! >_<