Why exactly do people dislike Rift

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
Hamish Durie said:
it must be compared to WoW questing, grinding etc but isn't that the main point of MMORPGs to have grinding PvP and all that stuff that keeps us hooked. It shoudln't be based on that it should be based on what it adds to the grinding,PvP etc.
God I hope not as the questing, grinding, etc of the old system WoW employs is played out and has been for almost a decade now. Technology can support more dynamic systems now and that is what MMOs need. Rather than a persistent world and mechanics, having a persistent yet influential environment. There is all kinds of ways to implement that and many devs are starting to explore it. Rifts itself is actually circling this idea but haven't quite landed it yet with the Rifts. It could go somewhere with expansions.

lostlambda

May 19, 2011
i dont like it cause it reminded me of tabula rasa and i hated that game not the time period but the whole enemys spawn then mess some stuff up untill the players kill them it just sucks up and extra hour of my life just to turn in some quests

ImanOcean

Feb 27, 2011
I played it felt exactly the same as WoW, except with public quests. I felt that if I was going to play rift that I was just playing WoW with a new skin, and besides if I wanted to play WoW again I would play...... well, WoW.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Wierdguy said:
Nikolaz72 said:
Guess a lot of reasons for the dislikes is that it aint World of Warcraft.
Wrong - its as close to world of warcraft as you can come without it beeing made by blizzard...
I don't think that at all, It feels more like DAOC than wow tbh. And its much harder to tell what someone is doing, ex in wow a warr goes bezerk. YOU KNOW

Sharalon

Jan 19, 2011
Played the beta for a few minutes and it reminded me of "Duty Calls". Felt like a parody of silly MMOs.

derelict

Oct 25, 2009
Zhukov said:
I'm going to guess that it's the same problem that brings down every other dead-end MMO:

Namely, the fact that it is like World of Warcraft but lacks the key ingredient of actually being World of Warcraft.

Yeah, and it certainly doesn't help that they directly compared themselves to WoW in their ad blurb, which is like tonguing a loaded mousetrap hooked to about three dozen grenades...yeah, I just got up.

Bottom line would be, dear developers, WoW struck lightning. DO NOT compare yourselves to it. There may well be another game like that in the future, but it's not going to happen by riding the last one's coat tails.

Nova Helix

Mar 17, 2010
The ads.

I'm serious, I won't even look at Rift because of the endless ads I had to watch before the release.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Hamish Durie said:
So rift the new MMORPG has gotten alot of bad and good word so why do people dislike it and why do you like it
Never heard of it, I don't enjoy MMOs, and anything resembling WOW is something diabolicle that needs to be avioded. Just wanted to drop by and say my opinion.
Arivaderchi.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I dislike that I'd have to pay monthly to play it. Main reason why MMO's are the only genre I haven't touched.

Not PvP Flagged

Mar 7, 2011
I liked Rift alot, even as a WoW player. The customizablity was the best in any MMORPG, and the PvP was really fun. My only problems were that leveling reminded me too much of WoW, which wouldn't have been a bad thing if I hadn't played (and still playing) WoW for +4 years, I am 90% certain that if Rift was the first MMORPG I played I would still be playing it. The only other problem I had with it was the story. From what I understood you had the Guardians and the Defiants, both trying to protect their home, Telara, from the 6 elemental dragons (of doom). Yet they couldn't set aside their petty differences, the Guardians being chosen by the Gods, while the Defiants weren't, so the turned to using technology to try to save their world. Warning: yet another WoW comparsion ahead. The Horde and the Alliance, who have done things that in real life would be considered warcrimes to each other, are able to put their differences aside (or at least attempt to, up to Cata; thanks Garrosh) when a bigger threat is looming on the horizon, for example the Lich King, the Burning Legion, etc. It just seems silly that the Guardians and Defiants couldn't stop fighting when their entire world was threatening to be torn apart.

Anjel

Mar 28, 2011
I'm actually playing Rift at the moment and I am enjoying it as I'm with a close circle of friends on there. The reasons I dislike MMO's in general are monthly fees and the desire of some players to ruin everyone elses gameplay experience. I like to play games alone or with close friends, not fucktards who either can't play or wont play and spend their time trolling everyone else.

Edit: Just read this back and wanted to clarify, I know 99% of the gaming community are decent people, but that 1% always seem to find me :p

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
It was fun...sorta....

I left for many reasons....

-Person I played with left
-Beastmaster was kinda lame
-Nerfboot
-PC is a good girl but she cant handle that

Its not worldbreaking...its amusing tho...The Rifts can be a pain in the ass tho as some you cant solo and the word ELITE is legit and can assrape you into the floor...

ToxicOranges

Aug 7, 2010
Well, given what someone else said about RIFT's fanbase being (for the most part) old time / jaded WoW players, and I am one such person, allow me to quickly summarize why old WoW players prefer RIFT, in my own personal opinion.

1. Trion Worlds does not screw you over as much as Blizzard does in terms of content patches, and honesty.
2. The rifts themselves keep the gameworld fresh long after you hit level cap, it stops the game feeling stagnant and dull outside of raids and dungeons.
3. The awesome "make your own class" thing for soul attunement, giving players the true freedom of how they want to play instead of being only able to do what the game says you can do - ie. Priests in WoW will be healing (with one or two exceptions) but a Cleric in RIFT could heal, tank or DPS.

The haters of RIFT are WoW fanboys, ultimatly. And if you want to try RIFT, go get the weeks free trial, I promise you'll enjoy it! :)

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
The Plunk said:
I played it for a while and got to level 40-ish. Then I realised that the end-game would be pretty much the exact same repetitive grind as WoW and quit.

I think that the biggest problem was that Rift was marketed to the many people who had recently quit WoW as something different. And it was different for a while, but then with each patch they made it more and more like WoW.

I did enjoy the rifts and invasions though.
I feel exactly the same way. I also felt like the world was very very small. There was absolutely no exploring to be done and everything was just one long rail rid to the raid grind hell.

Speaking of that the fact that many many folks came from WOW to Rift kinda....well not to be harsh but it didn't make for a nice community. When folks are getting kicked from pugs (within the first 3 days of the game being released!) for low numbers on a parser...then the majority on the forums are screaming for Gear Score, Re-count and DBM.

...yea I ran as fast as I could in the other direction.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I enjoyed Rift very much for about three weeks, but all it did was making me want to go back to WoW... My only complaint about the game was that travelling on mount was painful. If you got aggro from a mob he'd spam you down with slow effects and dismount you instantly. >.<

The class system was pretty impressive. My rogue saboteur was also the most fun I've ever had with a class in an instance.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Alucard788 said:
I feel exactly the same way. I also felt like the world was very very small. There was absolutely no exploring to be done and everything was just one long rail rid to the raid grind hell.

Speaking of that the fact that many many folks came from WOW to Rift kinda....well not to be harsh but it didn't make for a nice community. When folks are getting kicked from pugs (within the first 3 days of the game being released!) for low numbers on a parser...then the majority on the forums are screaming for Gear Score, Re-count and DBM.

...yea I ran as fast as I could in the other direction.
Shoulda stuck with it, things have gotten much better since the "free month after purchase" expired. Still a few arseholes about, but no where near as bad as it was.

Actually there is a great deal of exploring to do in Rift, admittedly in a smaller world than wow, but still plenty of exploring. But you are correct about the rail ride and raid grind, questing is easily Rifts weakest point and gearing up for raids is just the same as any other mmo at level cap.

But there are elements that beat wow hands down, 9 specs per class, with one of them being a dedicated PvP talent tree, no flying mounts, zone wide events, better character customization, a "wardrobe" so you can cover up that unsightly clown suit in favour of items of your own choosing, better armour design (even the most hardcore of wow fanboys cannot deny tier sets have plummeted downhill of late) and more perverted armour for the lady avatars (if your into that sort of thing :p).