Why, for me, gaming peaked in 1999.

elitecrewer

Apr 22, 2009
(NB - unsure of whether the goldsrc mods actually were in 99, and you may have noticed that I've *slightly* twisted when Starcraft was released... only the Mac release was 99, I believe)

It's about the games then, really.

Half Life -> arguably the single greatest step that FPSs have made -> still fantastic fun to play, and most definitely the start of something special - a long string of fantastic valve shooters and mods

Counter Strike -> clearly linking into the above, it's my very favourite online FPS to date. Endlessly replayable and impossibly successful for a mod, its legacy is unmatched. Probably still my most played game over the last few months.

Team Fortress, Day of Defeat -> both pretty great, and probably underrated. A testament to the quality of HL and the Goldsrc engine that such great mods can be made. Obviously leading onto some very nice Sourcey sequels (even if many claim that source ruined DoD)

Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 -> Between them, the ultimate deathmatch games. My pick of the two is UT.. to the point that I automatically try double tapping A and D in other games (doesn't work, FYI. except if you're playing GOW PC).

Starcraft -> Probably my single favourite game of all time (rivalling Counter Strike and Metroid Prime), Starcraft is also the number 1 E-sport, and, I believe, the national sport of Korea. The game which combines style and endless replayability (endlessly replayable games tend to lack charm -> e.g. CS, Civilization and stylish games, e.g. Jet Grind Radio, tend to lack staying power) better than anything else ever, for me. Terran ftw.

System Shock 2 -> powerful memories attached to this games, it's a lot better than Bioshock for me. An actual FPSRPG (Bioshock is missing the latter 3 letters), SS2 had more substance than style, but capped it all off with a tremendous story, wonderfully told. The only game ever to have scared me.

Age of Empires 2 -> Didn't *everyone* love that game?

Tony Hawk Pro Skater -> the original that started off *that* bunch of games

Descent 3 -> just a fantastic shooting game really. Possibly preferred 2, but they just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Also -> Homeworld, Alpha Centauri, BG1 Expansion (tales of the sword coast), Heroes of Might and Magic 3 (best of the series), original Silent Hill, original Super Smash Bros, Planescape (great RPG), Soulcalibur (alongside Tekhen 3 as the best fighting game ever), Battlezone 2, original MoH... etc.

I rest my case with the above really. It's an *unbelievable* line-up for a single year. My 3 most played games recently, Starcraft (yes, I know), Counter Strike and UT were all that year. In all, a phenomenal year for gaming -> much better games than the rubbish that the future seems to be bringing us.

Discussion welcome, as always.

EDIT: ouch, slight wall of text.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
You are right. New games are terrible. All that people in the games industry care about are their pointless careers and all gamers care about are graphics and voice acting. Let's give in and start following literature or sports instead.

Plauged1

Mar 6, 2009
Combine the new with the old, and it won't be that bad of an era for todays standards.

For me the peak was the space of time between 1998- 2003.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
A time Before this graphics and dull grey colours phase came about? are you mad!, these games are nothing campared to the grey brown black colour schemes of today!

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
Agreed, games back then actually excited me, now its a big pile of "meh". Certain aspects of gaming has improved from then I do believe, but it depends on the genre (zeldas have gotten better and better imo)

Nageck

Feb 8, 2009
I'm sorry but as the technology improves games are only going to get better. I'm not saying those games are bad, they are really good, I'm only saying that I expect games to continue improving. 1999 may have been a good year but to say it was the peak of video gaming is nonsense. Saying that every game that comes out now is no good is ignorant generalizing. Also, the first super smash bros. wasn't nearly as good as melee or brawl.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
More Fun To Compute said:
You are right. New games are terrible. All that people in the games industry care about are their pointless careers and all gamers care about are graphics and voice acting. Let's give in and start following literature or sports instead.
This week's book - Dune; Discuss!

heartshooter

Jan 3, 2009
Nageck said:
I'm sorry but as the technology improves games are only going to get better. I'm not saying those games are bad, they are really good, I'm only saying that I expect games to continue improving. 1999 may have been a good year but to say it was the peak of video gaming is nonsense. Saying that every game that comes out now is no good is ignorant generalizing. Also, the first super smash bros. wasn't nearly as good as melee or brawl.
but games aren't all about graphics, are they?

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
Whoa. You seem to not realise that gaming lived for a further two years after 9/9/99. Funnily enough, it died around about the time the Dreamcast did...

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
Doug said:
The cover of Dune was pretty good but the voice acting sucked so I couldn't read it. It does have lots of sequels so it must be a profitable franchise. Maybe the later books had better voice acting but the original is literally unbearable by today's standards.

matsugawa

Mar 18, 2009
I might argue that 2000 or even as late as 2003 was the 'peak year' but then again,
1999 gave us the Dreamcast. Truly those were days the likes of which shall never be seen again.

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
heartshooter said:
Nageck said:
but games aren't all about graphics, are they?
Hate to say this of course they are, no matte rhow good a game, you aint gonna go out and shell 50 big ones for a 360 games that looks like it is from the Commodore 64 days, no matter how much you believe graphics don't make games. New technology doesnt make a game, new technology makes a game look and play better. I agree with 1999 being a good year. But being a person that started in the early 90's witha Commodore 64 I could probably list the same amount of good games for every year up until now.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Doug said:
Dune is awesome.

Every night George Lucas cries himself to sleep cause he couldnt create a sci-fi story half as good as Dune.

Hell yeah!

f1r2a3n4k5

Jun 30, 2008
For me, gaming peaked with the release of Baldur's Gate II. Especially RPG and computer gaming.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Doug said:
Dune is awesome.

Every night George Lucas cries himself to sleep cause he couldnt create a sci-fi story half as good as Dune.

Hell yeah!
True, but I think he's movied on to try and get revenge by permanently linking sci-fi to Starwars, so Dune gets thrown away with the god-awful prequel Star-wars (although some of the battle scenes where good).

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Doug said:
The cover of Dune was pretty good but the voice acting sucked so I couldn't read it. It does have lots of sequels so it must be a profitable franchise. Maybe the later books had better voice acting but the original is literally unbearable by today's standards.
Actually, I listened to it by Audio-book, and the voice acting was great :p