Why gamerscores/achievements might win MS the next console war. Please no.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
KarmaTheAlligator said:
At the same time, considering MS presented the fact that XBL accounts with achievements will carry over, they certainly are hoping that it will be a deciding factor.
Except for the fact Xbone is gonna fuck up the entire achievement system. Added monthly achievements. Achievements for watching TV (rumor). Achievement whores are not going to appreciate the fact they can never again 1000 a game.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
squid5580 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
At the same time, considering MS presented the fact that XBL accounts with achievements will carry over, they certainly are hoping that it will be a deciding factor.
Except for the fact Xbone is gonna fuck up the entire achievement system. Added monthly achievements. Achievements for watching TV (rumor). Achievement whores are not going to appreciate the fact they can never again 1000 a game.
Do we know this for a fact, though? Because they did make a pretty big point that you could continue building your gamerscore, but hey, that could be yet another weird move on their part.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
FieryTrainwreck said:
CannibalCorpses said:
Let me stand up and defend achievements for a moment. You see, when i look at someones achievement list i can tell what kind of player they are. I can tell if they are hardcore players that always go for the difficulty achievements first or if they are more casual and take their time with games. I can see the people who use guides on the first playthrough and who do it afterwards when they have beaten the game themselves. With 5 minutes of exploring your list i can tell if you are a cheating bastard who is beneath my worth to deal with or whether you are a willing gamer who might be fun to play with.

Now...what you see as a tool for forcing brand loyalty, i see as a way to spot the cheating bastards i left pc gaming to avoid. I despise the new things i've heard about the new xbox and despite having 160000 gamerscore on the 360 i will gladly throw that away in favour of a better system. You see, my having a high gamerscore is a reflection on my ability to destroy every game that is thrown at me and, no matter what system i play on, i will always be that game destroyer if i set my mind to it. With enough understanding of achievements you would be able to tell that just by looking down my list but alas, you seek only the negative aspects and ignore the information that could be usefull to you.
How is that information useful to me again? For properly categorizing you? To what end? Giving you the "respect you deserve"?

You're sort of representing everything I hate about not only achievements but, well, people.
This isn't about me...this about me being able to find the cheating bastards i detest and having a great way of avoiding them. I look at your list of achievements and look in what order you gained certain achievements and i can tell if you used a guide, straight cheated or whether you play games on child difficulty first etc. From that i can tell if you are worth a chance at playing multiplayer with me and whether you are more likely to be a pain in my ass that i can head off without ever having to deal with you directly.

You have the same ability to do the same things to me so this isn't about me me me but about the big picture...something you completely missed because you have a preconception about the subject that wont be interrupted by outside influences, no matter how straight forward the logical progression actually is.

*shrugs* For the record, fuck respect. You assume far too much and listen far too little and for that reason you aren't worth my time to speak with any further. When i need people to gush about my abilities to know where i stand in the pecking order then i will truly be a sad pathetic individual and the fact you see achievements as little more than that shows how little thought you have put into your argument.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
KarmaTheAlligator said:
squid5580 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Do we know this for a fact, though? Because they did make a pretty big point that you could continue building your gamerscore, but hey, that could be yet another weird move on their part.
Your gamerscore carries over. They are gonna use a system that devs can add and change achievements on the fly. There will be achievements for community events with a monthly cap on how many they can add. Possibly achievies for using smart glass, watching tvs and the best one yet there is an achievement for pre ordering the xbone itself lol.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
If it makes you feel better, I, as someone who has very much enjoyed getting achievements (132k GS) for a variety of reasons (mainly the replayability they add to many games), will be getting a PS4 before I get an Xbox One.

Achievements/trophies hold no sway over which console I choose despite the enjoyment I have gotten from them, and I think many people are the same.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
squid5580 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
squid5580 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
Your gamerscore carries over. They are gonna use a system that devs can add and change achievements on the fly. There will be achievements for community events with a monthly cap on how many they can add. Possibly achievies for using smart glass, watching tvs and the best one yet there is an achievement for pre ordering the xbone itself lol.
I dunno, I see that as a move on their part to target achievement whores, since they'd want to get as high a gamerscore as possible. And I'm sure they'd find the time to grind for them and get the full points anyway, except now they'd need to do some extra monthly, which is probably not going to stop them. And I assume they'll only do this on games that are very popular and that have an online multiplayer that people would still play well after getting all achievements. Not sure how the TV and other ones will be received, though.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
KarmaTheAlligator said:
squid5580 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
squid5580 said:
KarmaTheAlligator said:
I dunno, I see that as a move on their part to target achievement whores, since they'd want to get as high a gamerscore as possible. And I'm sure they'd find the time to grind for them and get the full points anyway, except now they'd need to do some extra monthly, which is probably not going to stop them. And I assume they'll only do this on games that are very popular and that have an online multiplayer that people would still play well after getting all achievements. Not sure how the TV and other ones will be received, though.
Sure except alot of achievement whores get the 1K and move on to the next game. Usually paid for by trade in or selling. But with MS's new DRM this new system feels like a drop of lube to make it a little less painless.

MS has come out and said they want all devs to include at least 1 smartglass and 1 community achievement in each game. I don't know if that will be a rule set in stone or not though.

aceman67

Jan 14, 2010
I'm not buying an Xbone because its 500 bucks, not because I want to keep my gamerscore/profile.

I'm also not buying an Xbone it because a buddy of mine runs an Independent video game/hobby shop, and I prefer to get my games from him,the majority of games i get there are used, so more money goes into my friends pockets, and it supports local business. The majority of the profits he makes are from Used game sales, and the only new games he stocks are big name titles.

And lastly, I'm not getting an Xbone because Micro$haft is disguising its middle-finger to the gaming community as a "good thing", by trying to kill the used game market (for xbox games at least), which helped sell Xbox 360s in the first place because people could buy cheap games.

Sony is making all the right moves this time around (cheaper console then M$, no restrictions on used/borrowing games, ect). Just from the PR standpoint alone, Sony seems to be the top one out.

And this... This is just comedic gold and a kick in the teeth to M$.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
CannibalCorpses said:
This isn't about me...this about me being able to find the cheating bastards i detest and having a great way of avoiding them. I look at your list of achievements and look in what order you gained certain achievements and i can tell if you used a guide, straight cheated or whether you play games on child difficulty first etc. From that i can tell if you are worth a chance at playing multiplayer with me and whether you are more likely to be a pain in my ass that i can head off without ever having to deal with you directly.

You have the same ability to do the same things to me so this isn't about me me me but about the big picture...something you completely missed because you have a preconception about the subject that wont be interrupted by outside influences, no matter how straight forward the logical progression actually is.

*shrugs* For the record, fuck respect. You assume far too much and listen far too little and for that reason you aren't worth my time to speak with any further. When i need people to gush about my abilities to know where i stand in the pecking order then i will truly be a sad pathetic individual and the fact you see achievements as little more than that shows how little thought you have put into your argument.
Is this satire?

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I would just like to say this really quickly. 77 million Xbox 360 units were sold. There are 46 million Xbox Live accounts. This means that there are 31 million Xbox owners that play it simply for single player games and probably don't even use an internet connection with their 360. These 31 million people that don't use online will probably not want to do that also with the next generation, or probably cannot. Which all in all means most of those 31 million people will not be buying and Xbone. They will either stick with the 360 or buy a PS4. With all this in consideration, there probably won't be many people that will switch from Sony to Microsoft because Microsoft has nothing to off Sony fans, so the 77 million PS3 owners will probably still stick with Sony. All in all, if people are as predictable as I think, Sony will still sell more PS4 units than Microsoft will sell Xbox One units. Meaning more people will be buying the AAA games for the PS4, meaning there will be bigger third party support on the PS4's side. That is my current belief for the next generation.