Why I can't bring myself to buy Fallout 3

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Leorex said:
oliveira8 said:
Woe Is You said:
pimppeter2 said:
The problem lies in the fact that I'm an Oblivion fanboy that doesn't want to be an Fallout fanboy!
I'm frankly not getting this. Why is it so important to be a fan of one game that you're afraid that you might like some other game more?
Its like being married you see.

He is afraid to cheat Oblivion with Fallout 3. And if Oblivion finds out about it Oblivion might ask for divorce.
how about you become a polygamist as in you play more than one game. im sure if you ask oblivion, reasion with her. she'll under stand.
You know how are single-player games...they just hate you when you go out with another SP game.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
I had similar problems with Fallout 3; "It looks cool, but the internet is full of people howling about how terrible it is..."

The people slagging it off wanted it to be exactly like the original Fallout (released in '93) and/or Fallout 2 (released in '98). It's rather like bitching that Super Mario Galaxy is shit because it is nothing like Super Mario Bros 3.

Buy it, love it. You can pick it up for twenty quid now.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Wargamer said:
the original Fallout (released in '93)
'97

Just one year between game releases is probably why Fallout 2 had to deal with so many bugs. >_>

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Wargamer said:
The people slagging it off wanted it to be exactly like the original Fallout (released in '93) and/or Fallout 2 (released in '98). It's rather like bitching that Super Mario Galaxy is shit because it is nothing like Super Mario Bros 3.
I don't know. Reviews of the game have been glowing and it's just the guys on online boards that have had issues with it. And even then, basically you're saying that everyone who has a beef with Fallout 3 has the NMA stance on it or is a frothing idiot.

Some of the issues are valid issues: modernizing it is fine (making it first person, battles real-time) but there are lots of things in both of the original Fallouts that you could do that aren't there. Sure, we have more geographical freedom now, but that doesn't really equate to more options. For example, making a character with an intelligence of 1 in the original games had far reaching consequences to the actual gameplay. In Fallout 3, not so much, it mostly just affects the amount of skillpoints you get per level. Another example is the possibility of being a smooth talker throughout the game while resorting to little violence. In this case, the Super Mario example would be more like if Mario suddenly couldn't jump and the levels had far fewer secrets than before.

One of the reasons why I often don't like Bethesda's RPGs (Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion) is that they feel like single player MMOs in that what you do has little effect on the world. Fallout 3 feels much less so, but they still haven't managed to get rid of that feeling. But, eh, that's probably not going to be the OP's problem.

Bucket0Bones

Feb 19, 2009
4000 hours?

Really?!?REALLY?!?

Is that even possible?

I've logged about 200 hours into Oblivion and i thought i played the game too much.