Why I Don't Have to Care About You

FirstPersonWinner

Apr 16, 2009
Now I have stumbled upon an annoying trend of topics on forums that all are titled around "The Reason X is Stupid" or "Why I Am Never Getting X" or the like. (There is actually one of these posts up now I believe)

The problem with this is that it never adds to any sort of debate or discussion, it is just whining. Not complaining-- whining. What I don't understand is why people expect others to care, or why some people actually do. I am not selling this product, and I doubt most of the people on this forum are either, so why should I or they care if you buy it? And so what if you don't like it? If you didn't like spicy food, would you go post on some food sites forum saying you hate spicy food? Would people on that forum then in turn need to have some sort of reaction to try and convince you to like spicy food, or at least be appalled that you are one who dislikes spicy food? That is not logical reasoning.

And the main thing is also that a lot of the "I Won't Buy X" posts go like this: "I refuse to buy X because they want me to pay money, and that I find offensive. Therefore I find myself resolved to not buy the product in question until the company sells the product ceases there unethical and immoral behavior of wanting to be paid for things"

Seriously, I read most of these posts and the first thing that pops into my head is always somewhere between "You need a 'Holiday in Cambodia'" to "First World Problems, much?"

The most recent thing that people are ranting about is the Mass Effect 3 launch DLC. "Oh, No, the Collector's Edition gets more stuff for paying more money that the regular edition buyers have to pay more money for? That DLC could be anywhere from $5-20 more dollars! You'd have to be making minimum wage (such as myself) to be able to afford that kind for entertainment!"

Seriously, does anyone think that this is really more than a minor inconvenience?

(Also, all of the above quotations are to be read in comedic-ly angry voices. American or pseudo-British accents are acceptable.)

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
FirstPersonWinner said:
Now I have stumbled upon an annoying trend of topics on forums that all are titled around "The Reason X is Stupid" or "Why I Am Never Getting X" or the like. (There is actually one of these posts up now I believe)

The problem with this is that it never adds to any sort of debate or discussion, it is just whining. Not complaining-- whining. What I don't understand is why people expect others to care, or why some people actually do. I am not selling this product, and I doubt most of the people on this forum are either, so why should I or they care if you buy it? And so what if you don't like it? If you didn't like spicy food, would you go post on some food sites forum saying you hate spicy food? Would people on that forum then in turn need to have some sort of reaction to try and convince you to like spicy food, or at least be appalled that you are one who dislikes spicy food? That is not logical reasoning.

And the main thing is also that a lot of the "I Won't Buy X" posts go like this: "I refuse to buy X because they want me to pay money, and that I find offensive. Therefore I find myself resolved to not buy the product in question until the company sells the product ceases there unethical and immoral behavior of wanting to be paid for things"

Seriously, I read most of these posts and the first thing that pops into my head is always somewhere between "You need a 'Holiday in Cambodia'" to "First World Problems, much?"

The most recent thing that people are ranting about is the Mass Effect 3 launch DLC. "Oh, No, the Collector's Edition gets more stuff for paying more money that the regular edition buyers have to pay more money for? That DLC could be anywhere from $5-20 more dollars! You'd have to be making minimum wage (such as myself) to be able to afford that kind for entertainment!"

Seriously, does anyone think that this is really more than a minor inconvenience?

(Also, all of the above quotations are to be read in comedic-ly angry voices. American or pseudo-British accents are acceptable.)
You heard it here. If you want to discuss what you don't like about a game then you are whining and shouldn't be posting.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
FirstPersonWinner said:
I have a feeling they exist for the same reason facebook still hasn't shut down yet XD some people just can't stop themselves from declaring to the world their opinion.

The whole Mass effect DLC dealio was cause the DLC included a Prothean which is basically extinct in the ME universe. Just having one on your team would have revealed so many secret plot points in ME's story. Aaaaand it's unavailable unless you pay about 20 dollars more.

You can see why people would get angry as it's like if Shadow of the Colossus removed 3 bosses to be bought separately even though they're very important to the story.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
You usually dont read the first 2 pages of the post do you? its easy to say that all post are whining when you dont do the research.

But anyway, at least in my post i usually pick up the comments that are actually factual or coherent to keep the conversation going (like the Half Life 2 post) but now i have reached a point that i have something to address but i am fearful that nothing will be advanced and therefore it will reinforce what i already suspected even if its the wrong information (sort of like assuming that all the post are about whining by looking the first 2 pages even if it ISNT absolute true)

Lets just say that i found something that Half Life and Twilight are related to and may possibly explain why people react so defensive to those. I will stop there until i find people able to discuss

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
daveman247 said:
You know what is worse than the whiners?
The whiners who whine about the whiners :p
Yeah.

However, the people who whine about the whiners who whine about the whiners are a pretty cool bunch.

And the guys who direct snide comments at the people who whine about the whiners who whine about the whiners are just plain awesome.

FirstPersonWinner

Apr 16, 2009
The whole Mass effect DLC dealio was cause the DLC included a Prothean which is basically extinct in the ME universe. Just having one on your team would have revealed so many secret plot points in ME's story. Aaaaand it's unavailable unless you pay about 20 dollars more.

You can see why people would get angry as it's like if Shadow of the Colossus removed 3 bosses to be bought separately even though they're very important to the story.
I know what the DLC is about and the universe of ME from playing them, so I understand why people are upset on that. But, a Prothean is not going to add much to the story (Other than the "why are you not dead?" conversation) I mean, what is he going to say? Oh yeah, the reapers, those guys killed us pretty bad since we never figured out how to kill them. You guys kind of seem in the same boat. Oh, well." I don't see what more a Prothean could add beyond every so often going "Oh, that was how they killed my people 50,000 years ago, too."

It isn't like they are selling the the Lord of the Rings without Return of the King, it's like they are selling it without, at best, the Hobbit. Are the Protheans actually that important to the plot beyond being the 'guys who got killed here first so we know people be gettin' killed all up in here every 50k years'? No. Did they even need to make this DLC since it wasn't even important enough that it had to be put into the original creation of the game instead of just being part of their first batch of DLCs they made? No. Is it nice that they started right away making DLC for people to play who liked their games instead of halting production for a month between the game going gold and launch? Yes. Is it extra nice that they give it out free to people who bought their Collector's Edition even though that never had to be a part of what you get with that and could have just been made so that everyone had to buy it separate? Yes. Should people who have food and shelter complain that entertainment that they are already purchasing with excess wealth might be slightly less good unless they put a bit more excess wealth of theirs towards it? probably not. If you fight like a Krogan or run like a leopard, will you ever be better than Commander Shepard? Never.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
FirstPersonWinner said:
Are you serious? The protheans are a pretty big deal in mass effect. Not only did they get wiped out like you said, but they made all the cool stuff everybody else plays with! The wealth of questions that should be answered is immence :p And to seal off such a major character unless you pay more is just wrong. :/

Vanilla_Druid

Feb 14, 2012
It isn't like they are selling the the Lord of the Rings without Return of the King, it's like they are selling it without, at best, the Hobbit. Are the Protheans actually that important to the plot beyond being the 'guys who got killed here first so we know people be gettin' killed all up in here every 50k years'? No. Did they even need to make this DLC since it wasn't even important enough that it had to be put into the original creation of the game instead of just being part of their first batch of DLCs they made? No. Is it nice that they started right away making DLC for people to play who liked their games instead of halting production for a month between the game going gold and launch? Yes. Is it extra nice that they give it out free to people who bought their Collector's Edition even though that never had to be a part of what you get with that and could have just been made so that everyone had to buy it separate? Yes. Should people who have food and shelter complain that entertainment that they are already purchasing with excess wealth might be slightly less good unless they put a bit more excess wealth of theirs towards it? probably not. If you fight like a Krogan or run like a leopard, will you ever be better than Commander Shepard? Never.
Any real human being is better than a fictional character, for they can give intimacy and affection. Nonetheless, must you belittle those who demand a quality experience for the large sum of currency we bestow upon the publisher and developer? Granted our living conditions could be much worse, but is it wrong for people to protest being given an incomplete product? Perhaps this whole fiasco could have been avoided if Bioware did not mention it until after the game was launched, but the act of releasing a game that the consumer knows is incomplete is a tad disheartening to the consumer.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
Discussion and debate are not meant for discussion boards. We are here merely to reinforce what our corporate overlords tell us, and to say otherwise means you're entitled. Assimilate to the machine my friends. Only then can you find unity in the loss of identity and appeal to authority.

END OF LINE.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
daveman247 said:
FirstPersonWinner said:
Are you serious? The protheans are a pretty big deal in mass effect. Not only did they get wiped out like you said, but they made all the cool stuff everybody else plays with! The wealth of questions that should be answered is immence :p And to seal off such a major character unless you pay more is just wrong. :/
Actually the Mass Relays, the Citadel, and related technology are all (or are based on) Reaper tech. The Protheans ARE a big part of the series but I doubt the DLC will include anything that DRASTICALLY alters the plot beyond him/her/it being there on your team.

Condiments

Jul 8, 2010
darkcalling said:
daveman247 said:
FirstPersonWinner said:
Actually the Mass Relays, the Citadel, and related technology are all (or are based on) Reaper tech. The Protheans ARE a big part of the series but I doubt the DLC will include anything that DRASTICALLY alters the plot beyond him/her/it being there on your team.
Given the fact you have an actual living prothean ally on your team that doesn't add much to the game other than he can help you shoot dudes is kind of stupid. This is a unique storytelling opportunity hamstrung by the nature of its development. It can't bring anything to the picture due to its non-essential nature, even though the story demands that he play a potentially essential role.

But introducing a PROTHEAN COMPANION will sell a lot of collector's editions and dlc. Who gives two craps about story integrity?

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
FirstPersonWinner said:
Cant it be in Tony Jay Magnificient Bastard voice??? or how about Kevan Brighting, the Narrator of The Stanley Parable who makes sure to let you know how munch you suck in the game??