Why I might not buy Half life 3

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Their work on the portal games were pretty revolutionary. i have faith that IF they are making HL3, they will have some technological tricks up their sleeves from what they have learnt over the years.

I was there when HL2 was first released, it was so ahead of its time that i don't remember ever being excited about a game as much since. I know most modern gamers won't appreciate playing it first time now. Then again, i remember wallowing in the awesomeness of perfect dark on the N64 in its time...playing it now on XBLA wont ever portray to newcomers its greatness at the time, or even all the little things it includes that you still don't see in modern games...including the 360 Perfect dark unfortunately :(

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Moth_Monk said:
LOL all the hipsters wanting to let everyone know that Half Life is overrated. Pro-tip: Being a contrarian does not automatically mean that you are smart.

I'm excited for the next Half Life game.
The aren't "hipsters" that's their opinion mate.

You like Half life great but accept that people will disagree with you I accept that people hate Legacy of Kain despite the fact that I love those games( If my Avatar didn't make that obvious )

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Gameguy20100 said:
Moth_Monk said:
LOL all the hipsters wanting to let everyone know that Half Life is overrated. Pro-tip: Being a contrarian does not automatically mean that you are smart.

You like Half life great but accept that people will disagree with you I accept that people hate Legacy of Kain despite the fact that I love those games( If my Avatar didn't make that obvious )
They have hipster opinions. :D

Also, I like Legacy of Kain too!

drummond13

Apr 28, 2008
You might not buy it because it doesn't exist yet, or in the forseeable future.

If it ever comes out and is awesome, are you really not going to buy it?

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
People have memories of their favorite Star Trek story lines from 47 years ago, are you telling me Half Life somehow became less valid after 9?
For me stories are eternal, i'll remember my favorite games and characters for the rest of my life, it doesn't matter when it happens the continuation of Half Life is an important event. You'd be justified in showing less interest if they reveal the game and it looks bad, but i think Valve has more than earned some trust and respect.

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012
Moth_Monk said:
Gameguy20100 said:
Moth_Monk said:

They have hipster opinions. :D

Also, I like Legacy of Kain too!
There is no such thing mate.

Some opinions are wrong that's undeniable but if some one says "I think *insert game here* is overrated" Then that's Valid,game quality is 100% subjective (with a few exceptions)

I don't care what games you like or dislike I only care about how well you can explain your opinion. :)

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
I'm not planning to buy it because I doubt it's ever coming out.
Also HL2 wasn't that great.
I kinda agree, I never got into half life in the same ways others did. But I think everyone has this occasionally like how I love halo but others just don't understand what makes it so great. Ah well I just dread these forums when it does come out. I also fear for the reviewer that doesn't give it full scores he'll be a marked man

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Vivi22 said:
MercurySteam said:
People seem to keep forgetting that the reason HL2 was so popular because it was revolutionary for its time. Since then however there have been scores of games with amazing physics engines, storytelling and characters. Some of them even doing it better than HL2. The only way you can really still be amazed by it is if you played it around the time it first came out so it will remind you of how much you loved it in its heyday. Not everyone seems to understand that now it's infinitely harder for newcomers to take a shine to it with all the modern games that have come out since.
Not going to lie, there haven't really been any shooters since HL2 that were half as revolutionary, nor do what it did nearly as well. Hell, the only first person games I can think of that managed to pull that off were basically the Portal games.
All a matter of perspective. In my opinion, Bioshock was head and shoulders above HL2.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
MercurySteam said:
All a matter of perspective. In my opinion, Bioshock was head and shoulders above HL2.
In terms of indirect storytelling through atmosphere, yes, all the Bioshocks take Half Life 2 to the cleaners. But that was always an element for which the Half Life series was somewhat overpraised.

batti

Mar 18, 2009
MercurySteam said:
But Bioshock (1) had three years to improve on HL2. It(Bio) was head and shoulders(IMO not really true) over HL2 because it stood on its shoulders. All great games are, eventually, based on something before, be it rules, atmosphere or a game design paradigm

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
I'm not planning to buy it because I doubt it's ever coming out.
Also HL2 wasn't that great.
I'm not planning to buy it because HL2 wasn't that great. (see what I did there?)

I got the Orange Box to try the series out, and it just didn't click for me. I didn't care and it wasn't fun.

Portal 3 I would be interested in. I'm always up for more fun with portals.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Meh. I didn't buy Half-Life 2 even. Shocked? I played it on a friend's computer and while nice to go through once, it wasn't that amazing. Haven't had the urge to go back to it even once since. Well, except for Ravenholm, I would've liked to play that part of it again I suppose.

Half-Life 1 hasn't aged too well, so I'm not interested in retreading that, either.

So... yeah, my enthusiasm for Half-Life 3 would be minute even if it hadn't been such a long time.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Surely I want Half Life 2 Episode three, if I seem to accept the notion of a half life 3 they might see it as viable reason to TIME SKIIIIP~~

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
magicmonkeybars said:
Disclaimer:
I don't know anything about any kind of release date or if it is even coming out at all.

It's been so damn long, DNF long and well, I've kind of lost interest.
They'll hype the fuck out of it and you'll be able to buy a $250 special edition and get all tens from everyone but I just don't care anymore.
It's been almost ten years since episode 2, does anyone even care at this point ?
Can HL3 even live up to the expectations of the internet/gamers ?
I feel a terrible disappointment looming on the horizon.
Maybe I'll pick it up at a summer sale somewhere in 2016 or something.
Anyone else done waiting for what might never come ?
a) No data on the game. A good old-school FPS without billions of cutscenes can work out pretty fine even by iteself.
b) It's Valve. They should understand what made HL and HL2 good. HL2 fixed lots of HL1 problems and made a graphical breakthrough. HL3 can do it again. Maybe.
c) There is no data at all concerning HL3. No hype needed. No disappointments needed. The game might even be frozen at this point ) Just wait till the announcement and first demos, and then jump to conclusions.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
Phrozenflame500 said:
...sorry, why may you not buy a game that you don't know anything about yet?

I fail to see the purpose of this thread.
The best part is "might". It's not enough to start a speculation thread about a game that exists only in the hypothetical, but he's even speculative about whether or not he's angry enough not to buy it if it ever does exist.
The premise of the thread is so insubstantial and speculative that a stiff breeze would blow it away.
Fortunately, it has the collective groans of the forums for creating yet another HL3 thread.

Moth_Monk said:
Uh, nobody is claiming to be smart because they're being contrarion.
One person said that HL2 isn't that great, and that's it.

TreuloseTomate said:
magicmonkeybars said:
Disclaimer:
I don't know anything about any kind of release date or if it is even coming out at all.
Gabe has confirmed that they're working on HL3.
*citation needed*

Not Gabe Newell

Jul 14, 2013
Ha.

Ha ha.

Wouldn't it be so funny if the credits rolled right after Eli died, then the sequel was never made.

Wouldn't it be HILARIOUS?

My dreams of Half Life 3 are long since dead. Valve, I love you guys, but you sort of screwed the pooch on this one.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
magicmonkeybars said:
Can HL3 even live up to the expectations of the internet/gamers ?
It's Valve. Gabe could blow his nose in a box, put "Half-Life 33" on the box, and it'd live up to the expectation of the internet, because they'd view it through the "Gabe/Valve is awesome and can do no wrong except not releasing (game I want)" filter.