Why I think GTA V will be a PS3 exclusive.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
I know that title just screams fanboy but please hear me out on this. So far a lot of rumors have pointed to a reveal through PSM, a magazine dedicated to all things Playstation, now I know that alone doesn't mean that it's an exclusive but there's more. A few years back Rockstar revealed Agent, all we know about it is that it's a PS3 exclusive developed by Rockstar North the developers of the GTA series, but that is literally all we know and North is now developing GTA V. What I think this may point to is that perhaps Rockstar decided to give up on the Agent project at least temporarily and give Sony GTA V as a bit of a holdover or perhaps to get them out of the deal altogether. Another lead is that on the VGA's site they tout a reveal for a "PS3 exclusive you won't believe" what's more unbelievable than this? And last but certainly not least the game looks a bit too good to be on 360 what I mean by that is that I don't know if technically the 360 could handle it, I know that there isn't a huge technology gap between the two but you can deny that the PS3 edges it out in graphical capability and processing power. When exclusively developed games for the PS3 can be noticeably more advanced. Now this is obviously all speculation but I do feel that there is a strong chance of this.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Yea, I had initially thought that it had to be a PS3 exclusive as well, it just doesn't make sense to me for a developer like Rockstar, to continue to develop on tech they have more than surpassed. Plus, Rockstar could easily make the game to it's maximum potential, then wait for the 720 to finally give it an Xbox release.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
Yes it just doesn't seem feasible that a game of this (rumored) size would run on 360 at this point, and your point about the 720 makes perfect sense because that way everyone's happy eventually.

LiquidSolstice

Dec 25, 2009
"looks a bit too good" to be on the 360? Erm. Have you seen the higher grade 360 titles recently? Forza 4's car models blow the pants off GT5's car models, for instance. Yes, the PS3 has higher specs, but that doesn't mean it's automatically always going to be better detailed. The publishers for these multi-platform games pick the easer platform to develop on, and then port to the less simpler ones (it's been this way for a while now), but there's no way in hell Rockstar is going to drop such a huge market share like that. They'll make it work. a 30 fps lock does wonders in that area.

The more worrying issue is the release date, I don't know if the current gen will still be current in 2 years.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
Why I think it won't:

Rockstar love money. Loooooovvveeeeeeeeee money. They'll find a way to make it work on 360, even if they have to hamstring the crap out of it and put it on 6 discs. Just look at the lengths Squenix went to to get the piece of crap FFXIII on 360.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
The 360 specs and PS3 specs are so similar any game that runs on one can run on the other. Look at stuff like Halo Reach, beautiful game. I've always had the impression the 360 has better graphics card and stuff and the PS3 has a better processor but the differences are so small no one really cares.

I don't see them cutting their fanbase in half like that, it doesn't really make sense. Unless Sony has bought exclusive rights which I guess is a possibility but we'll have to wait and see about that.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
GT5 was outdated from the moment of release but that was due to its horrifically drawn out development time and Polyphony's obsession with unimportant details. Look at say Uncharted 3 versus Gears 3 for a more apt comparison plus that's more in GTA's vein. And yes Rockstar does love money but they're a good game studio so I like to think that their primary concern is making a good game.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
I seriously doubt that Sony can justify to Rockstar the financial drawbacks of making it an exclusive. I'm open to it being released on PS3 first though.

I'd be sad to skip it if it were a console exclusive, being one of apparently few people who liked GTA IV moreso than all the previous titles, but until the PS3 goes below $150 I can't justify the purchase of an outdated toy even if it does play GTA V.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
Pearwood said:
The 360 specs and PS3 specs are so similar any game that runs on one can run on the other. Look at stuff like Halo Reach, beautiful game. I've always had the impression the 360 has better graphics card and stuff and the PS3 has a better processor but the differences are so small no one really cares.

I don't see them cutting their fanbase in half like that, it doesn't really make sense. Unless Sony has bought exclusive rights which I guess is a possibility but we'll have to wait and see about that.
Well that's one of the key things about this, exclusive rights. I remember reading somewhere that when Sony handed L.A. Noire over to Rockstar they received Agent in return, Sony can't be too happy with the time that Agent is taking and I'm starting to think that they handed over GTA instead to keep their business relationship intact. And Reach? Really? That's not exactly the cream of the graphical crop. It's a good game but not for that reason.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
No matter which console it's released on GTA V will make ridiculous sums of money, and it could just be a timed exclusive.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
grrr said:
And Reach? Really? That's not exactly the cream of the graphical crop. It's a good game but not for that reason.
I really liked the graphics from what I've seen of it, naturally I don't see many 360 exclusives cause I have a PS3 so I can't really compare. But yeah to reply to your following post, if it's going to be an exclusive it'll probably be timed. GTA is a bit too big a series to be handed out casually unless Sony spent a fortune getting it.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
Kasurami said:
It doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. Given GTAIV still has the highest budget ever in a videogame, GTAV will undoubtedly equal or most likely top that. Unless Sony is giving them a huge monetary incentive, it's pretty much not going to be financially feasible for Rockstar to go with a single platform. As for technical performance, Rockstar games this generation have all had an advantage on the 360, even leading to Red Dead on the PS3 having a lower resolution than the 360 counterpart. It's all about how Rockstar use their engine rather than how powerful the individual console is, and given how massively narrow the gap between the PS3 and 360 is to begin with, the 360 actually has a technical advantage over the PS3 in that many developers find it far, far easier to build for.

The VGA's promise an exclusive 'reveal', and considering GTAV has already BEEN revealed, it's not going to be that. Plus, at this point Rockstar do not need a show like the VGA's to promote Grand Theft Auto. They don't even need something like E3. They just put up a trailer and they'll have far more hits than the VGA has viewers.
One thing to take into account is that lately Rockstar has been honing their engine for the PS3 with Agent, I'm sure that they've tapped much more thoroughly into its power after such intimate contact over such a long period of time.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
Pearwood said:
grrr said:
And Reach? Really? That's not exactly the cream of the graphical crop. It's a good game but not for that reason.
I really liked the graphics from what I've seen of it, naturally I don't see many 360 exclusives cause I have a PS3 so I can't really compare. But yeah to reply to your following post, if it's going to be an exclusive it'll probably be timed. GTA is a bit too big a series to be handed out casually unless Sony spent a fortune getting it.
Sony has gotten several GTA games as timed exclusives in the past so it's not entirely out of the ordinary behavior for them.

Kruxxor

Jan 18, 2009
Sony doesn't have the money to net themselves such a large PS3 exclusive, even if it is timed.

I strongly doubt that GTA V will be an exclusive to any console.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
Kruxxor said:
Sony doesn't have the money to net themselves such a large PS3 exclusive, even if it is timed.

I strongly doubt that GTA V will be an exclusive to any console.
Then why bother being so mysterious about the consoles that it will be on? Unless it's coming out for next-gen consoles but that'd make me sad because I don't have the funds.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I saw it for pre-order on PC at EB today, so it's not an exclusive. Only thing that I would hate is if it was a 360 exclusive because I recently sold mine. Still have my PC and a PS3.

grrr

Jan 9, 2010
Creator002 said:
I saw it for pre-order on PC at EB today, so it's not an exclusive. Only thing that I would hate is if it was a 360 exclusive because I recently sold mine. Still have my PC and a PS3.
Retailers flub stuff like that all the time though, Rockstar still has yet to confirm any consoles.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I can't see GTA V being a PS3 exclusive. RockStar would lose money from the people that don't own PS3's. I sold my PS3 and I am not going to buy a new one just for one game. I don't care who makes it. Hopefully GTA V comes out for the PC because that is what I will be buying it on.