Why I Think The PSVitaTV is a bad Idea for Sony:

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
You can get a PS4 and a VitaTV for the same price as a Xbone.

That's ridiculously good.

BabuNu

Nov 19, 2009
I can only see it as a good thing. I haven't got a Vita but I have a PSP and I can distinctly remember thinking "Fucking hell, I wish I could plug this into my TV and play Crisis Core on the big screen".

They won't be competing with home consoles, it's not like anyone would be put off buying a next gen console because they can now play their Vita games on the big screen. If anything it looks to me like it's making the Vita a bit more of an attractive option.

legendp

Jul 9, 2010
once you add the controller on and a memory card on it's close to $200 you could pick up a ps3 or 360 for that much. both have much better games for them and are designed for tv. ouya and vitaTV and similar products just seem a little redundant. I could poorly write out several long paragraphs why, or instead just link in this article which covers my thoughts on it very nicely. I recommend a read to the one or two people that happen to actually read my comment by some fluke.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/10/vita-tv-and-microconsoles

Needless to say, your better off going for quality over quantity when it comes to a home console (imo at least).

ps vita games are mainly designed for a small screen short burst experience, compared whith a large interesting environment. and the resolution of 950x550 (roughly) will not upscale well on a large tv.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
I just think it's not a very well thought out product.

The lack of a touchscreen means it won't be able to play the most notable Vita exclusives like Uncharted, Gravity Daze or Killzone Mercenaries. All those games decided to implement touchscreen controls in order to leverage their positions as Vita exclusives. Even multiplatform games like Rayman Legends will be unplayable without the touchscreen.

That leaves the few Vita titles that don't use the touchscreen, none of which are all that notable, and a collection of PSP, PS1 and PS2 games you can download from PSN... which anyone can already do if they own a PS3. Seriously, if anyone is interested in buying classic Playstation games at this point, they'll have already got themselves a PS3 to play them on.

The Vita TV is unable to actually fully do the 'Vita' part of its title, and its only other use is to play games you could already play on a PS3. I get that it's pretty cheap, but PS3s aren't exactly expensive anymore, and you at least get access to a full range of titles there.

I think this was just Sony's attempt to try and quickly kill two birds with one stone- do something to try and save the Vita to appease investors, and do something to try and compete with Apple TV, again to please the investors. It's the same thing as Microsoft trying to rush through the Xbone as a living room media centre. It just seems like a hastily put together plan so that Sony can go "See? We are working to save the Vita, and we're going to take on Apple at the same time!"
A patch that allows you to turn off the touchscreen wouldn't be hard as most games use it for useless stuff anyway.

To be honest I think it's a wise move, their going for those that are after:
1) A small console (due to space concerns)
2) A cheap console (Ouya style)
3) A retro console (plays PS1/2 games)
4) All of the above

Honestly at $100 it's a bargain and it's only competitor the Ouya is having issues with games, where as this has a collection of good games (PS1/2) not to mention any Vita games that make themselves compatible. Will it make PS3/4 sales? Hell no, will it sell and have uses for those that might want one? Yes. Heck even though I have all the above consoles I may grab one myself once it's available in AU/UK, at $100ish it'd be great as a small PS1/2 console I can take around to friends and play my PSN games on at a lan party etc, and being all digital it'd just be the case and the controller.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well that is all sort of nonsense OP so I'd rather not even go into it.
And just so everyone understands console makers get their profit from games not the consoles, in fact they usually have to lose money on hardware in order for you to buy one and then make that money back via games, and Sony has been hemorrhaging money like crazy on Vita because everyone was holding out for price drops, VitaTV simply allows them to extend the Vita userbase with something more affordable to you and them.

Only problem I see with it is this could put developers off touch support since VitaTV won't have that, or someone will come up with good solutions to bridge that gap.

And the depressing part at this point is that Vita itself supports HDMI streaming and could do all this TV stuff if they didn't lock it away.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I think it was a pretty shrewd play by Sony, rather than cram everything into one box and end up with an overpriced set-top ala Xbone they split the two.

Instead of going for an 'all in one' format Sony has managed to get the best of both worlds, one product for the hardocre crowd and something cheaper for those looking for a cheap set-top box. Its ablity to play PS1 and Vita games is just gravy for those people but it dovetails neatly into the lack of backwards compatibility issue that the PS4 has and its ablity to stream from the bigger console will only make it more desirable.

The only issue would be those that already own a Vita, but they are already in the minority.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
superline51 said:
Blitsie said:
I really hope this doesn't end up completely undermining the Vita, its a fantastic portable device that really deserves some success for a change. Just look at the graphics in Killzone, imagine if Rockstar could jump in and do a proper portable GTA or if Sucker Punch could develop a unique superhero game for it.

There's insane potential there, letting it go to waste would truly suck.
How in the world would this undermine the Vita? You do realize it is basically a Vita that you plug into a TV and control with a DS3 right? If anything, this coming out will make things much better for Vita software.
You know, being tired led me into a pretty interesting state of mind where I could only think absolutely stupid things, actually facepalmed when I read my post again this morning, sorry about that.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
So what I see here is A device that can play PS1, PS2*, PS3*, some PS4** , PSP and same PS Vita games for around $100 I was sold on ps1 and I wish for the love of Sony they will release Suikoden 2 for the PSN

* Gaikai Integration
** via Remote Play and Gaikai Integration

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
popa_qwerty said:
So what I see here is A device that can play PS1, PS2*, PS3*, PS4, PSP and PS Vita games for around $100 I was sold on ps1 and I wish for the love of Sony they will release Suikoden 2 for the PSN

* via Gaikai Integration
... I am pretty sure that the PSVitaTV cannot play PS4 games. Also, It can't play all PS Vita games because the Controller doesn't have Touch Screen Capabilities (Being a PS3 Controller).

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
Blitsie said:
superline51 said:
Blitsie said:
I really hope this doesn't end up completely undermining the Vita, its a fantastic portable device that really deserves some success for a change. Just look at the graphics in Killzone, imagine if Rockstar could jump in and do a proper portable GTA or if Sucker Punch could develop a unique superhero game for it.

There's insane potential there, letting it go to waste would truly suck.
How in the world would this undermine the Vita? You do realize it is basically a Vita that you plug into a TV and control with a DS3 right? If anything, this coming out will make things much better for Vita software.
You know, being tired led me into a pretty interesting state of mind where I could only think absolutely stupid things, actually facepalmed when I read my post again this morning, sorry about that.
We've all been there at some point.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
... I am pretty sure that the PSVitaTV cannot play PS4 games. Also, It can't play all PS Vita games because the Controller doesn't have Touch Screen Capabilities (Being a PS3 Controller).
Question, do you honestly think it'd be hard to add in support for the PS4 controller, which has a touch screen pad built into it, when it becomes available to the public? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't require much at all really, and actually makes it seem more like they were planning this a lot.
It's also already sold out on Amazon.JP so that shows that Japan wants it. :p
Plus there is gonna be Vita and PS4 cross play, so in a sense yes there will be PS4 games on the Vita, but they'll be ports.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
popa_qwerty said:
So what I see here is A device that can play PS1, PS2*, PS3*, PS4, PSP and PS Vita games for around $100 I was sold on ps1 and I wish for the love of Sony they will release Suikoden 2 for the PSN

* via Gaikai Integration
I thought that all ps4 games will have remote play support but I may have been wrong.
Edit Not all games will use remote play
From the PS4 Official Site at us.playstation.com/ps4/features
Remote Play

Remote Play on the PS4? system fully unlocks the PlayStation®Vita system?s potential, making it the ultimate companion device. With the PS Vita system, gamers will be able to play a range of PS4? titles on the beautiful 5-inch display over Wi-Fi access points in a local area network.