Why illegalizing guns will not work in the U.S

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Vegosiux said:
Nitpicking.

Switzerland is not a member of the EU. Please, people, differentiate between Europe the continent and European Union.
My bad. I really should remember all of the European countries. After all, they are all significant and important. Let me go back to my recitations to remember things that don't honestly concern me. Slovenia's capital is Ljubljana, it's currency is the Euro,...etc

Strazdas said:
The country is lithuania. But there are mroe factors why Switzerland is different from USA other than mandatory military service.

Also it appears someone has gone angry and is reporting my posts. oh well when does those green warning ticks go away, if ever?
As someone who has lived in North America and Europe, they aren't as different as you'd assume. Of course, you haven't provided solid reason behind why manditory military service wouldn't work, so I'll consider that conceding the point.

Also, those warning ticks do not go away for a long, long time. Sorry to hear you got reported, likely for stupid reasons, my friend.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
jboking said:
Vegosiux said:
Nitpicking.

Switzerland is not a member of the EU. Please, people, differentiate between Europe the continent and European Union.
My bad. I really should remember all of the European countries. After all, they are all significant and important. Let me go back to my recitations to remember things that don't honestly concern me. Slovenia's capital is Ljubljana, it's currency is the Euro,...etc
What you should do is get informed on whatever the hell you're talking about so at least you got your facts straight. Whether it concerns you personally or not.

I will ignore the thinly veiled insult in your post, but just this once.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Vegosiux said:
What you should do is get informed on whatever the hell you're talking about so at least you got your facts straight. Whether it concerns you personally or not.

I will ignore the thinly veiled insult in your post, but just this once.
My jokes clearly don't work for you. Fair enough. Then I'll say that the important thing that was pertinent to the topic was Switzerland's gun laws and military programs, not whether they are in the EU. Your added, completely unnecessary, correction was a side note to the issue. It's like saying you need to know the United States major trade partners in order to have an opinion on their gay marriage laws. Sorry I'm not as worldy about issues that I have no concern for and are not on topic.

And I'll ignore your overt insult in your first sentence, but just this once. Just this one time, not ever again. (or, you know, I could behave like a grown adult and realize I am reading too far into your comment and not make pseudo-threats)

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
FelixG said:
That happened to me as well, someone went back and reported me for something I said back in like december of LAST YEAR and a mod decided to smack a warning on me
Damn, that's crazy. That is the nature of an internet forum, though. Remember, this is a land where mods rule and they are a little quick on the banhammer. I blame march mayhem for the mod's trigger finger, because reasons.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Nouw said:
Ulixes Dimon said:
IF not... remember the prohibition, this would be exactly like that, except with even more shooting people and less parties.
That's really quotable, just wanted to tell you that :p. Perhaps guns aren't quite on par with alcohol but I can definitely see where you're coming from.
I like the simple quotes.. So let me start with this one.

I think there are rational suggestions and none of those are the absolutes. Until we realizae that BANNING all guns in the U.S. will never happen, you can move on. If you introduced restrictions on the types of guns you'd get some leeway. I think creating certain things such as restrcited clips, auto-matic restrictions, etc. you'd get somewhere. Creating better registration systems, ignoring the criminal element, better education, mental health screening, parental involvement, better controls on who sees violent movies, games, etc. We've become de-sensatized to violence. If people want to fire the big guns, why not make a "gun park" where it's limted and you can use a gun in that park for a period of time (sounds silly though, think of the liability). I know I don't have the answers, I am not a gun owner, but most of my family and friends are.

There is a lot of history around being armed in the US, and some of it still makes sense, so the rest of world giving us advice, well it worked here and here. It's probably not going to be taken well.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Vegosiux said:
Terminate421 said:
Again, I'm going to slap this one on here.

You don't win an argument with a quickmeme generator, and if "But criminals will always break laws because they're criminals!" is all you have to say for your case, maybe you should stand aside and let people who actually make good points speak for that case, as you're doing it a disservice.
Bombs.

Your meme is invalid.

Funfact, columbine was suppose to be a bombing not a shooting.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bombs.

Your meme is invalid.

I'd almost pay money to see someone trying to stab someone else with a bomb. Almost.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Vegosiux said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bombs.

Your meme is invalid.

I'd almost pay money to see someone trying to stab someone else with a bomb. Almost.
One would make bombs to kill people though.

Also, your statement could be done via shrapnel.

I win!

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
Vegosiux said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Bombs.

Your meme is invalid.

It was both, really, the bombs just didn't go off. The book "Columbine" is actually a very good read.

I'm optimistic that we will defeat this wave of gun-control nonsense as well. The fact that I can take my legally owned M9 pistol and practice at the range by myself before shooting an M9 pistol for military qualifications is quite nice. The fact that I can do the same with an AR15? Even nicer, I'd say. Euros are a smug bunch when talking about their gun control but I swear, first time someone sets foot in America they immediately want to hit the gun range.

Any I'm always glad to take them. Education is key here. They're just guns, people. Unbunch your panties.

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
ArmyTanker8402 said:
Really? I'm pretty sure if I interviewed a thousand soldiers from Iraq, or still stationed in Afghanistan, they'd tell me that the only thing to really change in ground warfare is that we don't line up in giant squares anymore.
And in the 1700's, much like modern Iraq & Afghanistan, a numerically inferior force with inferior weapons could be an incredible pain in the ass for years.

BakedZnake

Sep 27, 2010
Friendly Lich said:
The problem is it just wont work, guns have become an enormous part of america's culture and are apart of the nation's heritage/identity.
You should also bring back slavery, american indian genocide, and nuking countries you are at war too.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I think america is different in culture, in such a way that a ban on guns is just not culturally applicable.

The other concern is that there is too many guns in circulation, taking guns away from the normal people will be easy, but getting it away from the criminals will take a long time, and in that period, the citizen may be an easy target.

Then of course there is the constitution right to have guns.

It may just be easier to fix the people controlling the guns, than taking the guns away.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
In before an armed, "guardian" teacher guns down an entire classroom full of 3rd graders.

darkfox85

May 6, 2011
Looking across the Atlantic, guns and gun control has interested me for a long time. I?ve yet to make up my mind what side I?d take because there?s much I don?t know, and ?facts? never seem to come from unbiased sources. But it seems to me guns are a solution to their own problem.

Maybe certain types of ammo or rapid-fire weapons could be banned? Basic firearms for hunting and defence would still be permitted, and the situation could be reviewed a few decades down the line.

Maybe I?ll be laughed out of the forum for suggesting public information commercials about guns, but it might be a good reminder. (I?m not sure if America already has these ? like warnings about the dangers of smoking.) It might be petty, but I wonder.

I?m not sure I buy the fact that America is innately more violent or their cultural leans towards violence, or that Europe is more responsible. I can?t help but feel if the shoe was on the other foot, things would be the same. But on a different foot.

I don?t know much about it, but can we stop calling the ?other side? smug? Calling someone smug makes you look... well, smug.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Friendly Lich said:
First I want to recommend a book "Deer hunting with Jesus" that I had to read in college. The author grew up in a very conservative home and is a "cultural defector" if you will. This book will give you an insight into the U.S gun culture, its also very funny.

With all the talk of guns and shootings recently I've read allot of posts from users oversees that suggest we simply make guns illegal in the U.S. The problem is it just wont work, guns have become an enormous part of america's culture and are apart of the nation's heritage/identity. I don't identify with the subculture that is obsessed with guns but I know people who are and if guns were made illegal there would be very large, very dangerous, armed riots all over the country.

Secondly there are huge, powerful lobbying groups that spend billions to maintain influence in Washington and they will not see the day when guns become illegal.

Gun laws and control might work but making guns completely illegal is not an option anymore.
Since the Assault Rifle ban in the US expired in 2004, the amount of mass shootings in the US has doubled. Fact. You guys need to reinstate that ban. Seriously most recent mass shootings are done with legally acquired assault rifles/automatic guns. Just look.

Sandy Hook-Assault Rifle used.

Virginia Tech- Assault Rifle

Colorado Batman shooting- Assault rifle

Columbine- Assault rifle

Arizona shooting (where a politician was shot)- Assault rifle

I'm sorry but those Assault Rifles need to go in the US. Especially when a lot of gun shops in your country don't check mental health issues (which would have stopped Jared Lee Loughtner from purchasing the guns used to massacre those in Arizona). Making guns illegal isn't an option in the US, but banning assault rifles is. And fuck, no one should be able to buy 6,000 rounds over the internet without anyone looking twice. Ever. When me and Bill O'Reilly of all people agree on that, shit needs to change.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Terminate421 said:
thebobmaster said:
I'll have to repeat myself from your other topic, because my point still stands.

Ban all guns! Ignore the fact that there are literally millions, if not billions, of guns in the U.S., a good deal of which are in the hands of private owners! The U.K. did it! Never mind the fact that the U.K. has about a quarter of the population and 2 percent of the area. If one country can do it, every country can!
You need to go to another country.

Banning all guns in the US at one point will just make this point stand out more:

The reason that picture is stupid is because it is self fulfilling.

All school shootings that I'm aware of in the US used legally acquired guns, BUT once people started getting murdered the gun owner was a criminal.

The problem with the Wonka meme is that the people who use him never think before making the meme ironically irrelevant 90% of the time.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
jboking said:
(...) Then I'll say that the important thing that was pertinent to the topic was Switzerland's gun laws and military programs, not whether they are in the EU. (...)
Coming from switzerland, and having done my military service, I wouldn't say that it's the military who keeps the low crime rate here. Yeah we do keep assault rifles in our basements but most of us just put them in some place hidden and never look at them again. Plus, we don't keep the ammo (anymore) at home anymore, because people kept commiting suicide at home with their guns, and also because there was this one guy who killed a young girl in our city once with his rifle. The decision was to take out the ammo out of the mandatory equipement to keep at home. No one really complained about that.

It's just a different culture, mostly. We're not that gun crazy, and we like to think we can be responsible with them (meaning they HAVE to be last resort). Military training doesn't really do anything for that, it's mostly education and culture.

To be honest, one thing that kinda baffles me in the whole "pro gun" argument in the US is how they think in clear "teams" still. There's the good guys, and the evil criminals.

But the truth is, a majority of these killing sprees in the USA are not made by criminals: they're made either by dysfunctional people or persons who've been pushed too far, former "good guys" who just snapped and had easy access to a gun. You give them the easy way to vent their madness, so of course they're going to use it.

A criminal, or crime in general, is not beaten with weapons; it is beaten by educating our future generations and better understanding the value of someone else's life. Also, understanding that the world isn't black and white, like the US and it's citizen still seems to think.

Arming more citizens with more guns in response to some shooting is just exacerbating the problem, in my opinion. And that's coming from a gun owner, military trained and all.

Gergar12_v1legacy

Aug 17, 2012
Deadlier ways to kill people than gun

Bombs: thousands could be dead if used in skyscrapers, or tens of thousands if it falss into other buildings and crash chain effect, and debris

Planes: Don't need to explain

Poison gas: Deadly Toxins that fill a room

Fire: If I set a building on fire, and locked the doors