Why I'm Not Playing Mass Effect 2

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Fearzone said:
Eremiel said:
Fearzone said:
Call it man... just say it: BioWare makes mediocre products that suffer badly when you compare it to Blizzard.
wow.. you're actually serious. o_O
No, I wasn't. Not that I was wholly being facetious, but I wasn't being dead serious either.
You could have clarified that you know, when you say it like you did you make it sound like a challenge. Aside from that though I did say since Warcraft 3 i.e. after Starcraft, which I don't really like all that much anyways. For me it's Warhammer 40k or nothing. I do prefer Bioware though (to Blizzard that is), I like their story-centric gaming model. Also I do have one last thing to say about your original comment the "suffer badly compared to Blizzard" part. Now as I take it you mean in sales, in which case I am inclined to respond as thus: what in the hell are you thinking, comparing something like WoW in terms of popularity to say Dragon Age: Origins is like comparing robotics to food. Sure a lot of the first world countries (RPG officianados) are dying for robotics (Dragon Age: Origins) but fucking everybody (everybody) wants food (WoW).
Bottom Line, the whole explanation that one kind of game is more conducive to budgeting your time well than the other sounds a little fishy. I must admit I get equally addicted to both, and for either style of game, there is usually a natural break you can find every hour or so.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
If you're playing to see the ending, you're playing for the wrong reason. These games can't be long enough for me since I'm only playing through once, as going through the same missions again is boring, but the game itself is amazing when new scenarios keep popping up.
There is no wrong reason to play.
It's play!

pinchy

Feb 4, 2010
While I totally agree that some games just take far too much of a commitment in terms of time to play through (like starting to play a new MMO) Mass Effect 2 is a pretty bad example. Ok I did spend pretty much the entire weekend after I bought it pretty much doing nothing but sleeping, eating and playing it so that I'd done everything (i.e- main story, all loyalties, side quests, 100% exploration, actually listening to the conversations, talking to party members, the free DLC) there was to do in about 25 hours. But that wasn't in any way necessary.

Playing through it again now at a much more sedate pace (in real world terms) it's very easy to split up into 20 minute chunks while I am waiting for something else or taking a break from working on something. If anything it's kinda scary just how quickly it is taking this time where it looks like being around 10 hours to finish just the main plot (though admittedly the difficulty level affects the time it takes enormously after having a go at insanity with my first shepard again and seeming to have twice as many opponents to kill and only about half as many bullets as I would like).

At the end of the day if the game was any shorter than it currently is I'd start expecting a significant discount in terms of price, as yes it's hellishly good fun, but actually over pretty quickly.

Paridice

Aug 26, 2009
Completely agree with some of the replies i have read. If you don't have time to play the game, that is not really a reason to hate the game. It makes sense not 2 play it, but an example is 1 of those damn rainy days where you can not do anything outside, Mass Effect 2. The story is deep, like a good book, art is amazing, gameplay is wonderful. Need I say more? This game is not for everyone, but for the people that do have time to play the game... they have spoken. A true work of art that can be played again and again. Have already put over 100 fun filled hours on Mass Effect 1 and still haven't played as all of the character abilities and difficulties. Keep it up people, your hard work of creating great games is paying off.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
Fearzone said:
Bottom Line, the whole explanation that one kind of game is more conducive to budgeting your time well than the other sounds a little fishy. I must admit I get equally addicted to both, and for either style of game, there is usually a natural break you can find every hour or so.
I don't really know what that first part means or is reffering to, but the reply as a whole sounds well meaning so I guess I don't have any quarrel with that.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I would feek seriously ripped off if I got only 8-10 hours out of a game. I don't really dig online pla either...so an ME2, Oblivion, Fallout is all for me.

Anibalbox

Nov 23, 2009
I know what you mean. Since I have classes almost every day, besides my regular 9h job, I cannot play a long (30+ hours) game. Also, it is a risk, I mean, I could get REALLY addicted, and end up studying 0 hours...
But even when it's college time, I always have time for an hour of TF2... I have already clocked in +300 hours, since my girlfriend gave it to me last July. What a great game!!

GeneralGrant

Dec 1, 2009
Er... Mass Effect 2 was definitely not 50 hours of material. I beat it in 30 and did pretty much all the side quests. Mass Effect 1 was a similar length.

There's no need to do all the side quests either-if you skipped all of them and just did the main story you'd be done in maybe 15-20 hours.

Bruden

Oct 26, 2009
been said a bunch already but for reiteration. Mass effect 1 is minimum 9 hours long, and that's including BSing with your crew to get one to hump you. I know, cause I did it after my 2nd ME2 play through when I wanted to try some new things with some new characters.
ME2 doing all the loyalty side quests, leaving the game on to cook food, doing junk side quests (not all of them, but several) and I still only logged, 25-30 hours on each of my 3 play throughs. So really, your "50 hours" is if you run through the main stories of both games, and some of the side quests. heck even with all the side quests you're only looking at maybe 70-80 hours total.