Why i'm skipping out on overwatch.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
I personally love the 60 dollar price tag with cosmetics and I wish to see a lot less f2p models on games.

That being said i'm not impressed with anything else I see. The gameplay clearly pales in depth to older fps games, such as hl1dm adrenaline gamer, ns2 compmod, jedi academy, ff and quakelikes such as cpma, xonotic and warsow. Even the new unreal tournament, l4d2 promod and tribes are faster paced. Each character has their movement mechanic that's on a cooldown and that's all they have as far as hitbox erraticity because movement speed on the characters is extremely low.

That paired with the fact that blizzard has been mostly silent in development, even only allowing a very small amount of people into their forums. That means that what we see now in terms of gameplay isn't going to change.

What's that? You don't think i'm right? Well then maybe I should just trust blizzard and give them 60 dollars to see for myself. Let's not consider that hearthstone is less competitive than yugio and hots aimed to be more watered down than league. Let's not also forget how extremely competitive wow pvp is, being one of the few mmos that still doesn't use scaling gear and forces you to lose to farm gear. Let's just take a leap of faith and assume that all of this will change and overwatch is going to be anything more than stomping teens in another w + mouse 1 fps.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Aren't you being a bit *ahem* over_dramatica about this?

It's not like you can't just play Overwatch AND something else like counterstrike or UT if you're in the mood for something more competitive. Plus Overwatch just looks fun, from all the gameplay I've seen the people playing have been having a blast so far to the point some people like TB even made it their best game of 2015 despite it not even being out yet. I think I'm willing to give it a try now that all that hero-pricing nonsense has been sorted out agreeably.

On another note it's also 40 bucks standard, not 60. The $60 price point is for the pre-release special edition thingy.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm skipping out on it because Blizzard - in their infinite wisdom - decided to saturate youtubers, influencers and media with overwatch keys and everywhere I've turned for the last two months are just these people jizzing over how great the game is constantly.

I'm just so goddamn exhausted of the game despite having never actually played it. Same thing happened with Hearthstone; by time the common man could play it I was beyond tired of the game. Probably put like 40 minutes into it, uninstalled, and never looked at it again despite watching an insane amount of it on youtube and twitch.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
The game looks alright and will probably do ok but i'm not completely sold on how good the retention rate will be. Is it just a thing people will play for a few months before the lack of depth makes them go back to other games (my experience with Heroes of the Storm in a nutshell, god damn it's so boring) or can it stand up to be as long lasting as TF2 or CSGO. I've come around to the idea of it being full price because holy shit I cannot bear to spend ages grinding to unlock shit. I spent years doing that with League and I cannot be bothered to do it with anything else.

The "open" beta probably lost Blizz a few sales because practically every youtuber in existence got a key so they can drool over it in front of an audience and i've not heard of anyone else really getting one. It comes off as a cheap grab for publicity at best.

I'll probably buy it because a few characters look really cool and I find characters are more important than actual mechanics and a friend will get it with me.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I'm sorry to ask. But, is there a point for this thread?

*sees the OP's name*

Oh, nevermind...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Is there a point to this thread? Threads are supposed to have discussion value, they aren't there for you to make blog posts.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
The Madman said:
Aren't you being a bit *ahem* over_dramatica about this?

It's not like you can't just play Overwatch AND something else like counterstrike or UT if you're in the mood for something more competitive. Plus Overwatch just looks fun, from all the gameplay I've seen the people playing have been having a blast so far to the point some people like TB even made it their best game of 2015 despite it not even being out yet. I think I'm willing to give it a try now that all that hero-pricing nonsense has been sorted out agreeably.

On another note it's also 40 bucks standard, not 60. The $60 price point is for the pre-release special edition thingy.
Undertale is TB's game of the year, overwatch being included on the list was part of an injoke for choosing undertale as his number 1.

That isn't to say that he didn't enjoy it though, I think he's gone on record saying it's the best multiplayer fps he's played all year.

NinjaTank56

Jan 14, 2015
Well you don't have to give them $60, because it doesn't cost that much.

Also I'm not sure why you compared an online first person shooter with a third person lightsaber combat game, with some guns you will maybe use once a mission, if you have to.

Since there's not much else to discuss in this thread, I'm going to point out that the aim for Heroes was to make a more accessible MOBA, (which it did) and you forgot to mention Starcraft 2, which is still by far the most popular RTS. I will give you WoW and Hearthstone though, they're not the best competitive games.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Overwatch looks, to me, what most blizzard games have been over the years. Well polished, easily accessed by the masses, but lacking in depth or longevity. I dunno, will just have to wait and see...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
the_dramatica said:
What's that? You don't think i'm right? Well then maybe I should just trust blizzard and give them 60 dollars to see for myself.
Or - and I know this is an absolutely insane idea, but just bear with me - you could save your money until it's released, read some reviews, maybe watch a few streams of the final finished product, and then decide if you think it's worth your money.

I've heard that's what sensible people try to do: research a new product that's been released to the masses before deciding whether they want to buy it or not.

Or screw it, don't buy it based upon your views of it now. Though the question still remains as to why you felt people would care that you have no intention of buying the game enough to warrant making this topic to announce to the forum that you have no intention of buying the game.

I'm here because I've nothing better to do at the moment...what's your excuse? :p

Weaver said:
I'm skipping out on it because Blizzard - in their infinite wisdom - decided to saturate youtubers, influencers and media with overwatch keys and everywhere I've turned for the last two months are just these people jizzing over how great the game is constantly.
Hehe, that reminds me of my favorite comments from the youtube comment section on that "new" trailer that came out a short while back: "We are Blizzard fans. We are patient. We are not streamers. We are...Onlywatch." :p

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Weaver said:

I'm just so goddamn exhausted of the game despite having never actually played it. Same thing happened with Hearthstone; by time the common man could play it I was beyond tired of the game. Probably put like 40 minutes into it, uninstalled, and never looked at it again despite watching an insane amount of it on youtube and twitch.
This describes how I feel about most AAA video games (Call of Duty X, Batman Arkham Knight) and even movies (fucking Star Wars). I admit, it does get tiresome when there are so many people getting aboard the hype train and demanding that you follow suit. "You haven't seen the Force Awakens?! You gotta see it!" No, I don't HAVE to do anything. Ugh. I really do get tired of so much getting shoved under my nose these days.

Anyway, I'm the kind of person that only really likes Blizzard for Diablo, so I dunno... I don't really think that much about Overwatch. I would also question why you created this thread, given that you don't seem to want to start a discussion... you just seem to want to complain. And that's fine. The internet is most certainly a place where a lot of complaining takes place. And hell, you've gotten some responses, including one from me, so I guess I can't say shit.

But then again I'm bored and have been drinking.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
When I first saw overwatch I thought it was just going to turn out into another shallow class based deathmatch game similar to just about every multiplayer FPS released over the last many years. Now that Ive seen gameplay...well I see a shallow class based deathmatch game hidden behind some shallow objectives

I havnt seen much of overwatch because Ive been trying to avoid the hype war surrounding it but with that said Im already sick of the game and I havnt even played or looked into it all that much. I feel like Ive seen it and played it all before in other games. Thats exactly how I felt with Hearthstone, Diablo 3, and heros of the storm so I think theres a bit of a trend there. So far Ive seen no reason that Ild want to buy it when I have more interesting games that are still alive and kicking

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
erttheking said:
Is there a point to this thread? Threads are supposed to have discussion value, they aren't there for you to make blog posts.
Skim through my post, find things you disagree with, post em. You can criticize me as a consumer, my perspective, the average consumer, the game, blizzards approach to pre launch, all sorts of things.

Other forums condone personal perspectives because they are more controversial(draws more discussion) and communities sometimes have agreed spending habits to try and shape the industry. I suppose that doesnt happen here, but you cant pretend a live and let live approach is always appropriate in life, since you swim in the same ocean as everybody else.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
the_dramatica said:
erttheking said:
Skim through my post, find things you disagree with, post em. You can criticize me as a consumer, my perspective, the average consumer, the game, blizzards approach to pre launch, all sorts of things.
You're being criticized for pointlessless and being overly dramatical, by just about everyone on your thread.