Why Indigo Prophecy 2 May Never Happen

Jul 9, 2008
scnj said:
Has anything of Heavy Rain other than a long string of QTE's been shown yet? Because I'm interested, but I kind of want more than QTE: The Game.
That's what Indigo Prophecy was, and it's the game I point to for where QTEs were done right: warning before they happen, rarely too big a punishment for failure, no RE5-Style button mashing, feeling like what you're doing actually affects things.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
orannis62 said:
scnj said:
Has anything of Heavy Rain other than a long string of QTE's been shown yet? Because I'm interested, but I kind of want more than QTE: The Game.
That's what Indigo Prophecy was, and it's the game I point to for where QTEs were done right: warning before they happen, rarely too big a punishment for failure, no RE5-Style button mashing, feeling like what you're doing actually affects things.
Only the action sections were QTEs. There was more to the game than those. I'm wondering if we'll actually be able to walk around ourselves on Heavy Rain or if the whole thing will be done for us while we push buttons when prompted.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Good morning blues said:
I wouldn't be interested in an Indigo Prophecy sequel, but I would be interested in an Indigo Prophecy remake where everything from the museum on was chopped out and replaced by something that matched the first half of the game and was good.
I totally agree. I loved the game up until about that point, and then it got really wierd(and not in a good way).

The sequence with the Angels and the Giant Green bugs were cool. Too bad they never bothered to explain just why those things happened. And okay, I was down with the whole ancient mayan conspiracy thing, complete with the occasional SEELE meetings. And then all of a sudden....AI's are introduced with no explanation or rationale.

Oh, and the whole 28 day gap between Lucas and Carla meeting at the grave and the rest of the game. I presume there was supposed to be 28 days or so worth of game in there and it all just got cut, because why else have the gap? It reminds me of "Planet Terror" from "Grindhouse" where they are in the BBQ restaurant and then and all of a sudden, the place is on fire with no explanation. But that was part of the joke.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Leroy Frederick said:
Just another thought, I found some of the 'as kids' gameplay frustrating too, it was very difficult to tell if the soldiers were gonna nab you or not, but I suppose that's nitpicking a little. It was fun trying to maintain everybody's lives and mental states and the soundtrack (Haaaaaaaang it up! Don't you know you gotta...) was great too, very memorable!
I liked the part in the mental hospital. Creepy as hell. One of the things I liked about the game is that it at least tried to factor in people's mental and emotional states into the gameplay, even if it didn't always pull it off.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
It's a good riddance. Fahrenheit was a good experiment of deeper interactive story-telling in games with many good thoughts, but ultimately much of it was flawed - including its reliance on QTEs and, not least of all of course, the story.

Heavy Rain, on the other hand, is by far my most anticipated game of the year =) If they manage to do it well, it will be the kind of deep, story-driven and adult-oriented experience I've been saying games need for many, many years now. It's a shame they're not starting up the hype yet, I really hope it's not getting pushed back to next year.

Leroy Frederick

Jan 27, 2009
Dalisclock said:
Leroy Frederick said:
Just another thought, I found some of the 'as kids' gameplay frustrating too, it was very difficult to tell if the soldiers were gonna nab you or not, but I suppose that's nitpicking a little. It was fun trying to maintain everybody's lives and mental states and the soundtrack (Haaaaaaaang it up! Don't you know you gotta...) was great too, very memorable!
I liked the part in the mental hospital. Creepy as hell. One of the things I liked about the game is that it at least tried to factor in people's mental and emotional states into the gameplay, even if it didn't always pull it off.
Yeah, the mental hospital was tense, especially when one of the dudes is coming towards while trying to maintain (her) calm!

9of9 said:
It's a shame they're not starting up the hype yet, I really hope it's not getting pushed back to next year.
Exactly, where's the plants vs zombies style viral music video already!?

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Yes. Thank you. We need more of this kind of attitude. "I didn't have anything more to say on the story", so he let it be, rather than coming up with some half-assed story lengthener and twisting up the plot even more, just to squeeze some more cash out of the title. I love this man.