Why is Battlefield Premium controversial now again?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Heinrich843 said:
Why is it controversial? Because consumers would be paying early for an unspecified product. Like a grab bag. Could be great, could be really bad. My money is on the latter.

I don't think it was really hard to understand why it was controversial, because any time there's a pay in advance without receiving the product type model, there's controversy.

But you knew that didn't you? Or if you think you didn't, you were focusing on the optimistic possibility that gamers could be rewarded for shelling out money to EA. (A well established publisher with lots of money that has no real incentive to reward customer loyalty.)
Except we know what the product is.

DLC that provides new maps/weapons/game modes for the Battlefield 3 multiplayer. Or perhaps I can just see into the future. Who knows.........?

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
anthony87 said:

DLC that provides new maps/weapons/game modes for the Battlefield 3 multiplayer. Or perhaps I can just see into the future. Who knows.........?
The point I was making is that there's a lack of information about what in particular will be added, how much, and so on. Kind of like a gamble. It's not difficult to see why this would cause a stir, seeing the multitude of threads concerning gamers who feel neglected after the company took their money. (Whether you agree with them or not, they're there- and thus they might find this controversial.)

In short, I wasn't making the point that there's a possibility that there'll suddenly be irrelevant content in BF3. (Such as level based action RPG mechanics suddenly thrust into Battlefield 3.) I was making the point that as no one knows exactly what will be added over time, but they can pay for it in advance- thus it's not surprising some people are going to get a little bit out of sorts.

But you knew that.

Oh you.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Heinrich843 said:
anthony87 said:

The point I was making is that there's a lack of information about what in particular will be added, how much, and so on. Kind of like a gamble. It's not difficult to see why this would cause a stir, seeing the multitude of threads concerning gamers who feel neglected after the company took their money. (Whether you agree with them or not, they're there- and thus they might find this controversial.)

In short, I wasn't making the point that there's a possibility that there'll suddenly be irrelevant content in BF3. (Such as level based action RPG mechanics suddenly thrust into Battlefield 3.)

But you knew that.

Oh you.
Actually I didn't know that. Despite my(probable)future gazing powers, I lack the mind reading ability I covet so much.

With regards to information:
[link]http://bf3blog.com/2012/06/battlefield-premium-and-close-quarters-live-on-ps3/[/link]

That link doesn't tell you much but it gives the basic outline of what's going to be in each DLC pack. A small bit of further probing revealed to me that the "Armored Kill" DLC will contain the AC-130 among other things and the "End Game" DLC will be adding motorcycles to the multiplayer.

All snarkiness aside though, it's basically all there. New maps, weapons and game modes is hardly something that needs clarifying when talking about a multiplayer shooter.

Pretty damn good for a once off payment I think.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Meh. I bought it. I was going to buy all the DLC anyway, so I have saved money...and if I lose my job between now and when the DLC is released, I still get the DLC. I wish I could gift B2K though as I pre-ordered BF3 and got that for free. Fingers crossed they port some more BF1942/BF2/BF2142 maps across for future DLC.

...I wonder how the motorbikes will work?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
octafish said:
...I wonder how the motorbikes will work?
I imagine it'll just be like a much faster yet squishier jeep.

Ooooooh! Maybe it'll have a sidecar! Please god let it have a sidecar!!!

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
The issue: DICE/EA said they would NOT copy Modern Warfare 3's "CoD Elite," and then they turned around and did it anyway.

Even though, yes, we end up saving money with this, it sucks to see DICE/EA caving to money stuff like this.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Marv666 said:
Wait, seriously? Just to see if I am understanding this properly... If you bought your access to the multiplayer with an online pass you pay more for the premium too?

...Wow.

No you are not understanding it properly.
Then explain maybe?
You buy the game. Then you buy the premium to get all present and future DLC as well as some extra goodies and you're actually saving on the total cost of the DLC if you were to buy each one separately. If you bought the game used then yeah, you'd have to buy an online pass (obviously)

As for the dude you originally quoted, I can't help but think he's talking out of his ass or perhaps he misinterpreted the whole "having to buy an online pass" thing as "charging used buyers more for Premium". It doesn't mention anywhere that they're going to charge extra to used buyers.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
chadachada123 said:
The issue: DICE/EA said they would NOT copy Modern Warfare 3's "CoD Elite," and then they turned around and did it anyway.

Even though, yes, we end up saving money with this, it sucks to see DICE/EA caving to money stuff like this.
Money stuff like what? CoD Elite is a subscription. Battlefield premium is a once off payment. The only alternative would be to sell each DLC separately.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
anthony87 said:
chadachada123 said:

Money stuff like what? CoD Elite is a subscription. Battlefield premium is a once off payment. The only alternative would be to sell each DLC separately.
(I personally dislike this kind of DLC to begin with. $15 for 4 fucking maps? Money-gauging).

Anyway, CoD Elite costs $50 and gives you two maps every month for a year, at which point Activision will probably stop making maps anyway. BFPremium just splits it up a bit and doesn't label it as a "subscription." They'll probably have another Premium-type thing for their NEXT Battlefield game, too.

I contend that it's basically the same thing, and will cost basically the same amount, for the same amount of content.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
chadachada123 said:
anthony87 said:
chadachada123 said:

(I personally dislike this kind of DLC to begin with. $15 for 4 fucking maps? Money-gauging).

Anyway, CoD Elite costs $50 and gives you two maps every month for a year, at which point Activision will probably stop making maps anyway. BFPremium just splits it up a bit and doesn't label it as a "subscription." They'll probably have another Premium-type thing for their NEXT Battlefield game, too.

I contend that it's basically the same thing, and will cost basically the same amount, for the same amount of content.
4 maps, two new game modes, 10 new assignments and 10 new weapons. Not bad for 15 quid I'd think. Future packs will also be adding new vehicles to the game.

CoD Elite costs 50 quid a year. BFPremium is a one time payment. A purchase, not a subscription. Saying that Activision will probably stop making maps just to help your point doesn't make it so.

They're similar, they're not the same and BFPremium saves you money which brings us back to the OP of why exactly that's a bad thing?

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
anthony87 said:
Marv666 said:
Wait, seriously? Just to see if I am understanding this properly... If you bought your access to the multiplayer with an online pass you pay more for the premium too?

...Wow.

Then explain maybe?
You buy the game. Then you buy the premium to get all present and future DLC as well as some extra goodies and you're actually saving on the total cost of the DLC if you were to buy each one separately. If you bought the game used then yeah, you'd have to buy an online pass (obviously)

As for the dude you originally quoted, I can't help but think he's talking out of his ass or perhaps he misinterpreted the whole "having to buy an online pass" thing as "charging used buyers more for Premium". It doesn't mention anywhere that they're going to charge extra to used buyers.
Well, thanks for clearing that up. Unlike Marv, that unhelpful son of a... *Angry glance* :p

Don't think Dusty was talking out of his ass though, seen a lot of his posts and never really seen him do that. We're probably misinterpreting his post or he got some false information somewhere along the line.
Yeah most likely. That "talking out of his ass" line came off as more prickish than I had intended.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
anthony87 said:
Marv666 said:

...Wow.

Then explain maybe?

No, I was referring to the Online Pass [http://www.destructoid.com/naturally-battlefield-3-has-an-online-pass-213761.phtml] that used gamers must buy to access multiplayer. People buying the game new wouldn't have to deal with that. Notice the quote from the DICE fellow in which he explains the reason for the Online Pass
"Because servers cost money, and used games don't make developers any money."
So the implication is that the Online Pass helps support the servers.

The issue I take with the Premium service isn't the access to DLC, but the
server queue priority [http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-battlefield-3-s-premium-service-will-cost-50-228301.phtml], which would would give purchasers of the Premium service priority over people who had just bought the game normally or used with the Online Pass. Such a priority isn't unheard of in private servers (I actually donate to The Roost's TF2 clan server and receive the privilege), but I think it's a bit dirty to include them in public servers (which I'm guessing are more commonly used on consoles. I'm not sure on that, so feel free to call me out if I'm bullshitting here). And I especially think it's dirty to include them when you're already charging for an Online Pass to help support your servers.

And all this is even more dirty when you note that EA/D have shut down [http://kotaku.com/5909466/where-did-all-the-official-battlefield-3-servers-go] many of their official servers (though I think they may have brought some of them back since that story broke). Server queue priority is the issue most people are upset over here. The DLC access has little to do with it.

Though, I again have to say I don't play this game, so this is completely an outsider's perspective and I could be missing a few (or metric fuckton) of facts.
Well, thanks for clearing that up. Unlike Marv, that unhelpful son of a... *Angry glance* :p

Don't think Dusty was talking out of his ass though, seen a lot of his posts and never really seen him do that. We're probably misinterpreting his post or he got some false information somewhere along the line.
Yeaah. Trying to clear it up here. Though I could just be wrong about this. In which case, I'll just continue drinking heavily and harassing snipers in TF2 for the rest of the night.

(Though I have another consumer issue. Dish Network just dropped AMC from its lineup. So I'm gonna have to watch the Mad Men finale and this season of Breaking Bad in probably very shitty quality online. The bastards)

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Making gold out of crap. For a hardcore fan the cost of the game just went up 50 dollars, not to mention the added cost of the special edition that the fan may have bought. I don't approve of this at all, but hey I haven't bought an EA title since Bad Company 2, so what ever. It would be nice if this doesn't become an industry norm.

There is no way to measure the quality of DLC, which makes this whole subscription thing kind of shoddy. You are paying for a subscription with no assurance of quality other than the original product. Not to mention you may end up paying for things that don't interest you at all. I would prefer a much smaller micro-transaction system where you have the option of buying individual maps and cosmetic items for relatively cheap. If you want to make a bigger purchase then the store will also have bundles that can save you money, like a map pack.

Heinrich843

Apr 1, 2009
anthony87 said:
That link doesn't tell you much but it gives the basic outline of what's going to be in each DLC pack. A small bit of further probing revealed to me that the "Armored Kill" DLC will contain the AC-130 among other things and the "End Game" DLC will be adding motorcycles to the multiplayer.

All snarkiness aside though, it's basically all there. New maps, weapons and game modes is hardly something that needs clarifying when talking about a multiplayer shooter.

Pretty damn good for a once off payment I think.
Is that outline in particular part of a contract with the consumer? Or is it subject a wide range of change and substitution like most unreleased content? Are the premium purchasers therefore guaranteed that outlined content? (If EA decides they only want to release 3 DLCs, what happens to the consumers who bought Battlefield Premium?)

I'm not being "snarky", I'm willing to concede the point if that is the case. If it's not the case, then I will remain unsurprised that people are willing to be upset about this.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
TheKasp said:
So I get a shitty SP campaign for 60$ and then have to pay 50$ to get better access to the MP? Yeah, fuck that.
Well if you bought Battlefield 3 because of the single player, then I feel for you. However, you should have known that Battlefield is all about multiplayer. And the the 50 $ is just a pre-order for coming DLC.

I guess it matters from what outlook you have on the game. Battlefield 3 is the first game where I went directly to multiplayer instead of playing the campaign first since I knew that it was just an afterthought. Played some multiplayer, ran through the campaign the same day I got the game. Campaign was disappointing to say the least, had expected more Generation Kill than Call of Duty and Duty Calls.

However, I have played around 100 h multiplayer so I got my money worth.

GREENeggsANDead

Jun 7, 2012
I dont know what this conversation has twisted in to about ea being evil or what have you butt im seriously upset about the BF premium pack WHY would i pay 50 dollers for somthing i already own i preorderd the game in the first place i already have back to karkand I PRE ORDERD close quarters BEFORE they came out with this premium pack now these dinks are going to get special privlages THEY GET THE GAME BEFORE I DO WHEN I PAID FOR IT BEFORE THEM AND they get special privlages they get hint videos and extra weapons they get to clear there stats and i get nothing? i have to wait longer for somthing i paid more for? this isnt right premium pack includes 3 map packs back to karkand (owned) close quarters (owned) and the next pack featuring all vehicels which im obviously going to have to pre order again and wait 2 weeks longer and be at the disadvantage to mommy and daddys favorite who gets the extra hint videos CHEAP