Why is counter-strike popular?

ShoobieDoobie

Jun 13, 2016
This game is pure shit. Here is a list of "tactics" in counter-strike:

-Camping
-Teammate baiting
-Hide like a little ***** using only the OHKO sniper rifle every single round
-play nothing but cs_office and if playing any other map vote to change the map to cs_office and succeed 90% of the time

Also I won a case or something but in order to open it I need a key that I have to pay something like $3 for what kind of bullshit game design is that?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I remember cs_assault & de_dust being the defaults. Anyway, it was a fun LAN party game. Dunno about its continued popularity.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Well back in the day, it was sorta the tits. Then it grew into a persistent mass that can't die cause it's too huge.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Well, you're an angry fellow.

It's a long standing game (For comparison, Call of Duty has had 4 releases since CS:GO was released, with another two this year), that's cheap, has low system requirements, an 'old school' PC lobby system, a professional league, a massive player and streamer base, and it's smaller scale so it's easy to get pre-mades going. And there's loot! Who doesn't love loot, even if it is a bit weird to open.

Also there's the gambling scene, and the cheaper-to-circumvent ban system.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Sounds like someone got rekt.

It costs 3$ because you can actually win money by opening cases. Never seen the steam market?

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Silentpony said:
Its popular among Lets Players and teenage boys. That's not an insubstantial market.
How the fuck would you lets play Counter Strike? Genuinely curious.
I think he means streaming/youtube strategizing. 'Let's Play' is becoming a catch all phrase alarmingly fast.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Because it's a long-standing game(I'd say franchise, but one game to the next is largely just an update) that has a solid gameplay loop. The shooting mechanics are tight and outside of a handful of complete fuckups like the Rollout(? I forget the exact name, pistol that had broken stats a few months ago)

It's a game that rewards good play(or even lucky play) and has quite a bit of strategy involved in it. Most maps have three different basic approaches to how you go for your main objective, and the mindgame is quite a bit of fun. Then there's the fact that different guns have different uses instead of most other shooters largely just having sniper, shotgun, machine gun. I've never been much of a shooter fan since arena shooters went out of style, but CS is one of those games you can keep playing and improving in. Not that I play it enough to actually improve, don't even particularly like the game, but I can appreciate why people play and enjoy it.

Liljumpman

May 11, 2016
Because it's probably still considered the best competitive multiplayer fps of all time or if not the best at least the biggest mainstay of the genre competitively anyway. The skill ceiling is enormous with most people ranging between shit-average. It comes from an era before supermoves, airstrikes and ultimates where the game was purely about your personal skill, teamwork and map control.

Your complaint about camping is straight up retarded considering the nature of counterstrike which is usually one team defending an objective the other team trying to take it.

I see plenty of reasons why it's still popular, although I haven't played it for years.

Your post is literally the dumbest one describing Counterstrike I have ever seen to be honest, I'm not convinced that it isn't some kind of bait. I mean office? Seriously that's the map you think is overplayed?

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
ShoobieDoobie said:
This game is pure shit. Here is a list of "tactics" in counter-strike:

-Camping
-Teammate baiting
Firstly, I've never played CS. But EVERY SHOOTER IS ALL ABOUT CAMPING. Camping does not mean sitting a corner hoping for someone to run by. Camping is first rushing out to take a key map point or objective area that you need to hold to win the game. Then, you win by having better positioning/map control by camping key areas that are advantageous. You always want to engage your opponent when the odds are in your favor and you try to do anything to tip the odds in your favor because just having as good aim as your opponent means you win 50% of your gunfights, which isn't good. Most people play shooters wrong and do the exact opposite by camping first and just let the other team have map control thereby only making it harder to kill them.

And, again, every shooter is about teammate baiting. Teammate deaths no matter the shooter are very very informative. The whole point of moving around a map as a team is to not allow the enemy team to get easy double kills. Why would 2 players both turn a corner right at the same time or move in basically a straight line? When I play any shooter I'm super conscious of where my teammates are; I don't care if I'm the one pushing or following as long as it's only one person making the initial push. The thing I hate is when someone is right next to me when I'm pushing or jumps in front of me and I then back off right away because I don't want to be part of a double kill. I'd much rather have my teammate kill the guy that got me vs us both dying because most games have some sorta squad spawn mechanic where I can spawn right back in then and keep pushing to gain more of the map. It's selfish to be the only one reaping the benefits but depending on a lot of things, there is usually a certain player that should be the pusher depending on gun selection (the sniper shouldn't be pushing), class selection if it's there (the tankier class should push), or just based on the players (some people are simply better at pushing than others).

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Which one? I like Counter-Strike Source because its well, very casual. That is to say, I can just play a few rounds, and stop. Its very simple, very quick, and not a big time taker if I don't want it to be. Global Offensive, well, I started playing Arms Race, and find that super fun. Demolitions and classic mode though, not so much, mostly cause they expect you to stay for so long. If I want to play classic mode, I will just play Source.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
AccursedTheory said:
It's a long standing game (For comparison, Call of Duty has had 4 releases since CS:GO was released, with another two this year)
If you go by the original Counter-Strike, which still has a playerbase thousands strong, then EVERY single Call of Duty game has been released in its lifetime. And every Medal of Honor. And almost every Rainbox Six (save the first game) or Ghost Recon. I've never been particularly enamored with CS, but a game must be doing something right if its 17 year old, arguably obsolete, version can still draw more players than most current titles of similar franchises (assuming these Steam player statistics are correct [http://store.steampowered.com/stats/])
Phoenixmgs said:
Firstly, I've never played CS. But EVERY SHOOTER IS ALL ABOUT CAMPING.
Agreed for the most part. Though I'd say every shooter is about map control and camping is an important, tactically sound means to that end. Even arena shooters like Quake III are all about map control, making sure you are at the pick ups when they respawn before other players do. In essence, it is not much different from holding key objectives in something like CS, TF2 or Overwatch, with the exception that 'holding' requires you to move from key objective to another in the most efficient way.

Buffoon1980

Mar 9, 2013
Honestly, the popularity of CS:GO kind of mystifies me, too. Compared to modern shooters the gameplay is incredibly unsophisticated and dated, and not in a good way (for instance, I consider the gameplay of the original Doom to have aged very well, although I'm talking only of the single player in that case). CoD gets a lot of crap, but the gameplay is highly refined. Battlefield, too, is vastly more sophisticated than CS. I loved CS ages ago (I only started with Source, though) but I just can't see why it's still so wildly popular.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
Buffoon1980 said:
Honestly, the popularity of CS:GO kind of mystifies me, too. Compared to modern shooters the gameplay is incredibly unsophisticated and dated, and not in a good way (for instance, I consider the gameplay of the original Doom to have aged very well, although I'm talking only of the single player in that case). CoD gets a lot of crap, but the gameplay is highly refined. Battlefield, too, is vastly more sophisticated than CS. I loved CS ages ago (I only started with Source, though) but I just can't see why it's still so wildly popular.
Because it's balanced and simplistic. The kind of stuff a good skill-based shooter requires to flourish. It's the same reason chess is still massively popular even though we live in an age of increasingly complex and shiny RTS games. You don't need a ton of bells and whistles to be popular.

Also, only public games are plagued by camping and using teammates to bait for kills. Go play it with some friends before you complain about tactics. (Not you, Buffoon. Talking to the OP)

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Phoenixmgs said:
Most people play shooters wrong
Yes, this is something that needs to be said. It's why I finally left Counter-Strike - it's an amazing game, but the vast majority of people not only are unable to go with the simple rules it operates on, they are actively trying to pretend they don't exist. I've been kicked and/or banned on multiple occasions from multiple servers for some of the following reasons:

- rescuing the hostages
- planting the bomb
- defusing the bomb
- preventing somebody from defusing the bomb
- orientating by sound
- using grenades (no, not against my teammates)
- being able to guess correctly the only obvious place somebody could be camping at
- not directly engaging
- not acting in the predictable way
- exploiting somebody acting in a predictable way

And I'm not even good at the game. I've had friends who are good been kicked and/or banned for stuff like being able to land a headshot with the first bullet or taking out multiple opponents.

Basically, I stopped playing because the vast majority of pub players were not only bad at the game but wanted everybody else to also be bad at the game.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
From a historical perspective, Counter-Strike was one of those "right games at the right time" moments. It was one of the first "realistic" (and I use that term VERY loosely) modern FPS titles, it started as a free mod for Half-Life (the hot game of the time), and it arrived on the scene around the same time the general public started dabbling in online multiplayer gaming. Since then it's garnered a large and passionate fanbase that helped signal boost its status and keep the series popular over the years.