Why is everyone so down on Fallout 3?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
What? It is universally acclaimed by critics and fans alike. The only detractors are some long time Fallout fans that hate how the game is inconsistent with lore.
Standard plot hook of "why does everyone hate thing I saw one or two people complain about once?"

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Fallout fans don't like fallout 3 because it was change.

It's the whole 'MY WORLD IS CHANGING AND I DON'T LIKE IT!' thing. Fallout 3 was a very, very good game. But all the fans hooked up on the older parts of the series which... let's face it, was nowhere near as good as fallout 3, hated fallout 3 and everything it stood for.

It's like people that hate modern games because they will testify to their grave that 70's retro games were better in every single way. Fuck that.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Robert Ewing said:
Fallout fans don't like fallout 3 because it was change.

It's the whole 'MY WORLD IS CHANGING AND I DON'T LIKE IT!' thing. Fallout 3 was a very, very good game. But all the fans hooked up on the older parts of the series which... let's face it, was nowhere near as good as fallout 3, hated fallout 3 and everything it stood for.

It's like people that hate modern games because they will testify to their grave that 70's retro games were better in every single way. Fuck that.
That is a strawman and you know it. There are reasons why someone wouldn't like FO3. And the game abandoning previously established lore is a legitimate criticism a fan could make. And FO3 isn't automatically better than the first two Fallout games. I haven't even played them and the strawman here bugged me.

Eggbert

Jun 9, 2010
Mydogisblue said:
It's not about lore inconsistencies. You don't need to have played Fallout 1 and 2 to realize that Fallout 3's story is absolutely terrible.
This, in so many ways. If you have time to kill, Spoiler Warning did an LP where they tore the game to shreds over the incredible stupidity of the plot. Notably, Little Lamplight. If you have to ask what's wrong with Little Lamplight, there is no hope for you.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
h@wke said:
Everytime someone talks about the fallout series any praise they give it is almost always accompanied by the phrase "except Fallout 3" why is this exactly? Did I miss the memo or something?
You visited No Mutants Allowed forums recently or what ?

It's a while since i've heard anything negative about Fallout 3, so i'm curious who gave you that impression ?

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Fallout 3 is largely liked.

Then again, the writing is certainly sub-par and the game seems rather soulless.

It's still one of my favourites, but you need to admit it's far from perfect.

GoAwayVifs

Aug 5, 2011
Let's see, the story is absolute horeshit. The characters are bland, two-dimensional and indistinguishable from one another. Every location looks are feels exactly same(Expect for the one location which is completely out of place). You move at an absolute crawl, made even worse if you want to use any half-decent armour. The games quests have an obsession with the metro system, which is one of the worst things about the game. Most of all it is flatout boring. I played every side-quest in the game included the stupid Nuka Quantum bullshit. This took about 30 hours. Half of that time it felt more like a chore than actual entertainment. So yeah, there is plenty of reason to dislike the game.

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
What? It is universally acclaimed by critics and fans alike. The only detractors are some long time Fallout fans that hate how the game is inconsistent with lore.
Most of them are bull they made up, the inconsistancies. Over all Bethesda was very faithfull to the originals.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Story is pretty poor and the lore is all messed up, the game would have been much better without Super Mutants. Still I do really like Fallout 3 but Fallout: New Vegas and Fallout 1 are my favourites (haven't played much 2 as my copy is broken.)

IAmWright777

Sep 25, 2009
I had nothing against the game. I played through the story one time. It always gave me headaches to play for some reason. That's my only issue with the game.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
I'm with the OP on this one. Can someone please explain these "inconsistencies in lore" that I keep reading? In regards to stories between sequels, I never see "lore inconsistency" as a viable argument for the quality of a game as long it still has a solid turn out.

Hell, I know people who claim to have hated WoW:Cataclysm (a reasonable opinion), but the first thing they bring up as a huge element that ruined the game was the addition of the playable Worgan and the "lore inconsistency" it brought that "ruined" the game. As a writer, I firmly believe that the only question an author should answer in regards to lore is not whether or not to change it but should it be changed in the interest of bettering the story.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
JamesStone said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
Master Kuja said:
You'll tend to find that the majority of those who dislike Fallout 3 played Fallout 1 and 2 to death. The complaints aren't entirely without merit, given the radical shift in the way FO3 plays compared to its predecessors.

That, and some inconsistencies with the overall lore.
It's exactly the same as the transition from GTA 1 and 2 ---> GTA 3 and the transition between Warcraft 1 and 2 ---> 3. Same noise as back then, except louder, because the fanboys want to think Bethesda is somehow unworthy of making that leap. Truth is, if Interplay had done it, it would have been 20 times shittier.
To anyone that thinks that this guy is wrong, I ask you to think about this words and see what comes into your minds:

FALLOUT: BROTHERHOOD OF STEEL
Aaahh! Aaaahh! Oh God, I'm having a flashback! *deep breath*

You have a very good point. People seem to forget that before Bethesda resurrected the franchise, BoS was the lasting legacy of Fallout for five whole years. Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics were all great games, and then you have that piece of crap hanging off the end, Interplay's last gasp at trying to wring some more money from the IP.

Personally, I loved Fallout 3 when it came out. The story was terribly written, though, feeling like a weird mix of Fallout and Fallout 2's main plot, with the factions all being stuff from the West Coast that got handwaved into D.C.. However, I did like the grimdark atmosphere of the Capitol Wasteland. I think the story of the Lone Wanderer would have been diminished if placed in a less damaged part of America, like New Vegas. I still rank walking out of Vault 101 for the first time one of the most awe-inspiring game experiences of all time.

So, I don't hate it, but New Vegas was such a massive improvement in pretty much every department for me I can't really go back and enjoy it in the same way as I did when it was released. I start pining for weapons mods or the ability to join any of the factions (I still think it would have been awesome if you could have joined the Enclave or a Raider gang as an alternative main story rather than being railroaded into helping the BoS)

Dramerc

Feb 14, 2011
well for me i can say those that hate the originals may hate it for the same reasons i did i hated the control system everything was fine but that i didn't understand the hell to do on the first quest i had to look on the net to figure it out FO3 and vegas are alot easier to use and look a hell of alot nicer

they all had good plot but i had to judge based on controls system and the easyness for someone to understand and i hated the originals because of it

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Mostly because of lore problems and the writing compared to other Fallout Games. Personally I really liked it, but think New Vegas was better gameplay and character wise, and I never played the original 2 so I can't comment on those.

Busdriver580

Dec 22, 2009
IzisviAziria said:
What the bloody fuck is the difference between Fallout 3 and New Vegas? I couldn't get in to New Vegas because for all the differences between it an Fallout 3, it may as well have been a full-priced expansion pack. Gameplay mechanics exactly the same. Wasteland desert looks no different than wasteland DC. Story was still stupid in New Vegas, not that I cared much, I didn't like Fallout 3 for the story.

Lederin said:
What Bethesda need to do is make a Fallout game with the visuals/world design/atmosphere of 3 but with the mechanics of New Vegas, that would be perfect

What exactly do you mean by "mechanics"? Because from where I stand, Fallout 3 had the exact same mechanics as New Vegas.
While Vegas was basically the same thing, I'll say I liked it a lot better because of the writing(different from the story!) which felt a lot more like a Fallout game. I think many fans didn't like fallout 3 because its the only fallout to feature unambiguously good dudes fighting unambiguously bad dudes for the entirety of the game. It's really necessary to the series feel IMO that the different groups and factions sit in moral grey-areas.

Also, I found that the hardcore survival stuff and actual plot choices added enough new mechanics to not feel like a glorified expansion

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Vocal minority.
People like to rag on good high-profile games so they seem unique.
And people who like them, which is most people, just ignore the naysayers after having heard the same thing over and over for over 3 years.

piedpiechart

Dec 7, 2011
I hate big arrows pointing where to go, I hate fast travel, I hate meaningless little quests that do nothing but waste your time, so I don't just hate Fallout 3, I hate all games like it. Top it off that I've never been the biggest fan of Elder Scrolls games and that sums up exactly why I didn't like Fallout 3. I was really excited about it being an FPS, I was excited about every screenshot and preview I saw, but when I played it, it just felt like Elder Scrolls to me, a big empty pointless world with soulless NPCs and amateurish voice acting

That said, when I got mods to turn off a lot of the crutches, it was pretty decent. A trip into the city and through its massive subways was a truly epic survival quest when I knew I couldn't instantly teleport away and restock my supplies. Still though, I never got very far because the story was just plain GOOFY