Why is Star Wars: Episode I Looked Upon With Despise?

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Mr.Black said:
Nigh Invulnerable said:
One word: midichlorians. Taking away the mystique of how the Force worked made many of the fans hate this one.

EDIT: However, this [link]http://darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0001.html[/link] makes me watch the film with new eyes, and makes it about 10000% funnier.
I don't know whether to love you or hate you. I'm up to episode 61 and I can't stop!
Lol. You're welcome. If Darths and Droids is addictive then you should never follow any of their links to tvtropes.org, you'll be lost for eternity.

Yelchor

Aug 30, 2009
evilartist said:
There isn't really much else I can rant about Episode I that already hasn't been mentioned by the other posters. However, based on your statement that I quoted, I have to ask: did you even watch the original trilogy before watching the prequels? I've got to say, I couldn't disagree more that Ep 1 is up to the same level of quality as Ep 4-6, but I'm curious to know what order you watched them in.
When I think about it, I was rather young when I saw Episode I in the theatres. I had seen the original trilogy, but wasn't really on the required mental stage to grasp what a good movie was to be based/constructed upon. No one that I knew critisized it in any way and the many bad things about it was concealed to me simply beacuse I didn't think much about it.

After having gone through the responses to this thread I have gained a clearer picture. I guess I've appeard a bit clueless by describing my liking to the movie in the beginning, but if I hadn't asked in the first place I might never have found out why.

And thanks for for linking the hilarious videos!

Cilliandrew

Jul 10, 2009
Eh, i actually have a soft spot for "Phantom Menace" and still think it's the best of the prequel movies.

It had it's weaknesses, but Liam Neeson' Qui-Gon Jinn was a great character. Too bad they cut him off so early.

The pod race and the final lightsaber duel were really strong action sequences, and i actually thought the scenes in the senate were pretty cool from a set design point of view.

Yes, Jar-Jar and the rest of the ridiculous accents stank, and Portman's acting in this entire trilogy is horrid.

Still...it's leaps and bounds better then the atrocious Episode II.

"I hate sand."