Why is Sunday the Beginning of the Week?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
I mean, some day has to. Some... summmmm... summnnn... sun... Sunday! It makes perfect sense! You just need to use your logic-brain to thinkify the answermajig. Didn't you go to school?

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Because Sunday IS the beginning of the week.
Why the hell would Saturday be part of the "weekend" if Sunday was the end?

No. A week is a linear span of time, and a linear span of time, like all other lines, has two ends. Sunday is one end, Saturday is the other, and Wednesday is the MIDDLE.

Seriously, it's the ONLY logical interpretation if you accept Saturday as the "weekend" or Wednesday as the middle if the week, and everyone pretty much seems to accept both.

That said, weeks are a meaningless human construct. Days and months are the two smallest cosmically determined units of time. Weeks are just how we happened to decide to divide up the days in a month.
A much BETTER question, is why in the bloody hell 12:01am is in the middle of the night.
THAT'S NOT HOW COUNTING WORKS!!!!!

11:59pm night time
12:00pm midnight
12:01pm a minute after the middle of the day!?!?!??? WTF is that shit?!?!?

NO, you incompetent humans in charge of time:
12:59pm is in the middle of the night
1:00am is a minute after 12:59pm where the whole am/pm 12hr cycle starts over.

If I ever find out who the morons in charge of that crap are, they're getting fists to the throat. I'm not saying how many fists. Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.

Arfonious

Nov 9, 2009
Ieyke said:
Because Sunday IS the beginning of the week.
Why the hell would Saturday be part of the "weekend" if Sunday was the end?

No. A week is a linear span of time, and a linear span of time, like all other lines, has two ends. Sunday is one end, Saturday is the other, and Wednesday is the MIDDLE.

Seriously, it's the ONLY logical interpretation if you accept Saturday as the "weekend" or Wednesday as the middle if the week, and everyone pretty much seems to accept both.

That said, weeks are a meaningless human construct. Days and months are the two smallest cosmically determined units of time. Weeks are just how we happened to decide to divide up the days in a month.
But Sunday is also part of the weekend

The weekend is Saturday and Sunday (sometimes friday night to)
Here it's always been Monday-Sunday and I find that more logical as you start work mondays

Ieyke said:
A much BETTER question, is why in the bloody hell 12:01am is in the middle of the night.

NO, you incompetent humans in charge of time:
12:59pm is in the middle of the night
1:00am is a minute after 12:59pm where the whole am/pm 12hr cycle starts over.

If I ever find out who the morons in charge of that crap are, they're getting fists to the throat. I'm not saying how many fists. Wouldn't want to ruin the surprise.
I never understood why you would use a 12 hour time system

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
I like Sunday at the beginning of the week because it makes the week seem more symmetrical to me. Five week days between the two weekend days.

That might be a terrible reason but I like symmetry...

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
"The weekend" is the two days where the back end of one week (Saturday) and the front end of the following week (Sunday) meet.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
tradition left over from the olden days , some stuff about god creating the world in 6 days and on the 7th he rested , they called it the sabbath and made it a saturday or fri night/saturday its a bit wierd but the point is the week ends on the sabbath which is/used to be saturday which is why sunday starts the week on most calenders in most european/western countries.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Meh, I don't really think about it too much but OP is right. Monday FEELS like the first day because it's back to work.

Alternatively it would also work if you put Saturday at the beginning with Sunday so that the week ends with Friday.
Ieyke said:

Actually 12:00pm is noon not midnight.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
The only calendar I use is:

So clearly the week ends on Sunday, which makes sense since the weekend is Saturday and Sunday.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
linkmastr001 said:
EDIT: Frankly, I'm more concerned with date formatting. In America it's mm/dd/yy since we write dates as Month, Day Year, but I believe other countries have several variations of it. I think we need to standardize THAT, if anything. Someone tell me how confusing 12/11/12 could be to anyone? It could easily be Dec. 11th of this year, or Nov. 12th, depending on what you're used to.
Agreed. In New Zealand we do dd/mm/yy. Also when I write the date I would do 29th November 2012, yet most American people I know do November 29th 2012. So is this difference a result of the dd/mm - mm/dd difference, or is the dd/mm difference a result of how we write it in full?

OlasDAlmighty said:
Alternatively it would also work if you put Saturday at the beginning with Sunday so that the week ends with Friday.
Ieyke said:
Exactly, it goes 11.59pm, 12.00am. That's why I always preferred the 24 hour clock to be honest. That way it goes 2359 then resets with 0000. Makes far more sense to me. Although I never say the 24 hour time out loud. If it's 1800 and someone asks the time, then I will say 6. Weird.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
J-dog42 said:
Exactly, it goes 11.59pm, 12.00am. That's why I always preferred the 24 hour clock to be honest. That way it goes 2359 then resets with 0000. Makes far more sense to me. Although I never say the 24 hour time out loud. If it's 1800 and someone asks the time, then I will say 6. Weird.
24 hour clock is always better. Perhaps in the future we'll start saying it's 17 o' clock instead of 5.

Captcha: by the book - it obviously disagrees with my maverick time telling idea.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Better question is... Does anyone really have so much free time, to dwell on and be upset about measures of time?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Religiously speaking, Sunday IS sort of the end of the week, but consider this: Would you REALLY want to start the week with that hated of all days, Monday? Or would you rather have the week with two end-points most comminly seen as break days?

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
viranimus said:
Better question is... Does anyone really have so much free time, to dwell on and be upset about measures of time?
No, we spend literally every second of every day digging clean wells in third-world countries, trying to find a cure for cancer, and solving the energy crisis. Why, don't you?

OT:

I always thought it made me sense with the 'weekend' thing is Saturday and Sunday were at the end of the week. Since weeks don't go backwards, we have a 'start' and an 'end', not two different ends. Plus, if the whole Creationist idea is what got the ball rolling on the seven-day week, then it'd make sense for Sunday to be at the end considering that God apparently rested after the work, rather than put it off and hit the snooze button for a day.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I don't know why honestly...I actually just wanted to chime in real quick and admit that I'm the one percent in that I absolutely love Mondays and despise Sundays. Monday rocks!

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
Fappy said:
You'd anger the sun god. He doesn't like coming in last.
Pretty sure Thor doesn't like it either that thursday isn't first, but you don't see him bitching about it.

OT: pff, probably has some kind of religious significance, with sunday being God's day or something silly like that.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
You guys are lucky you live in western countries. Where I live people work all the time... every frickin' day... so meh.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
Meh, I don't really think about it too much but OP is right. Monday FEELS like the first day because it's back to work.

Ieyke said:

Okay, apparently that depends on the particular clock as to if it switches at 12:00 or 12:01, but regardless, THAT'S STILL NOT HOW COUNTING WORKS!!!!
You don't end at 11:59 and then start over at 12:00! That doesn't make any gorram sense!

It's a 12 hour cycle. You start at 1:00 and end at 12:59. It's simple basic logic that any person with half a brain and the ability to count to 20 should be able to follow!!!!

Gah!
You have no idea how much failure to adhere to simple systematic logic bothers me.
You know what else is retarded?
Day Light Savings time.
All it does it make me an hour late to something once a year, and an hour early to something once a year.
And it's COMPLETELY POINTLESS.
It was made based on the idea of giving farmers an "extra" hour of daylight to work(and several other stupid ideas that can just as easily, and vastly more logically, be accomplished by doing things an hour earlier or an hour later) so they went and dicked with everyone else's schedule.

You know who is used to insane schedules and waking up when roosters crow at dawn? Farmers. You know what is a self-adjusting alarm clock that farmers very often own? Roosters.
You know who is fully capable of starting to get up at 5am instead of 6am if they need to, instead of screwing with everyone else and tricking themselves into believing 6am came an hour earlier? Farmers.

There's an "old wise Indian" meme that went around the Internet a few weeks back during the time change. I don't know if an old wise Indian ever actual said it, but the meme is completely right -
"Only the Government could believe that cutting the bottom of a blanket off and sewing back on to the top of the blanket would somehow result in a longer blanket."

For this crap, if I ever get my time machine back, I'm going back in time to 1895 and punching George Hudson in the throat.

Lots of people throughout history deserve throat punches for stupid, inane, bullshit reasoning that we have to put up with today....