Why is TF 2 better than other FPS's?

Chewyjazz

Feb 11, 2011
Instead of making you pay out the ass for rather worthless DLC like most companies do, TF2 is constantly updating which keeps it fun for everybody, and the updates have really changed the game. TF2 has changed so much from day 1 that it always feels unique.

Hong Meiling

Oct 29, 2009
Robot Overlord said:
Well, it isn't. Because Battlefield 2 is the greatest FPS in the history of gaming. Although it is good, except it runs on the source engine which for some reason is now shite on my system :(
Maybe it could be the horrible unoptimized mesh use? Lots of meshes in this game has way too many polygons and no LOD models.

I mean before they put in LOD models for some unlock weapons, the direct hit was 10k polies, from any distance. I think the character models in TF2 weighs in at similar numbers. Many of the hats and weapons remain unoptimized and without any LOD models.

But thankfully they are finally working on it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
TF2 is a non-serious and more campy-hilarious sort of FPS. If you're taking it too seriously, like any Call of Duty game, you've missed the point of this game. Because people can relax and who gives a flarp if you DIE, it's more fun and open to people around the FPS lounge.

pendragon177

Jul 12, 2009
I think it's pretty much because it doesn't take itself seriously.

The basic plot of TF2 (if you can find it) is that 2 rival business companies, whose owners are brothers, decided that instead of settling their business with deals and paper, they opted for guns and mercenaries.

That could be taken and viewed pretty seriously but instead you have exaggerated body-types running around with crazy-impossible weapons killing each other over briefcases containing secret documents hats.

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
It does stealth correctly and gives diversity so if your tired of playing spy you can swap to another class.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
It's different because it's not overly realistic and doesn't take itself seriously. It's really customizable and well, but not perfectly, balanced. Everything has its place... Well, mostly. As an example of where TF2 is unbalanced, the Amputator for the Medic is objectively better than the vanilla Bonesaw due to its added effects (taunt applies "healing melody" and, with the Crusader's Crossbow, adds +1 to the Medic's normal health regeneration). Other than that, all of the classes and their weapons have their uses and most alternate weapons are side-grades based on personal preference. The game has team focus, and while a team working as several individuals, like in CoD, can certainly get some things done, a full team communicating with each other can do really great things. The classes are well-characterized, unlike in CoD or other shooters where you play a faceless soldier.

I prefer TF2 to other shooters because of its differences. However, this doesn't make it better.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
-Large customization
-Varied, large quantities of voice messages from each class
-Balance
-HUGE amount of free updates constantly being released
-Developers focus on the community -- with community-made items (Polycount update), maps (countless), and a new Beta for them to test their inventions.
-Said developers are also charitable to community, with the new stamp system and winners of the Polycount update got a percentage of money made from the Mannconomy store
-It's damn fun

Jan 29, 2009
It isn't caught up trying to look "realistic". It drops the crap and has fun with itself, instead. Plus- because it's not as well known as, say, MW2, little kids don't jump on the bandwagon to be cool for their friends, so it is a *relatively* mature crowd (it's the internet, you'll never escape idiots).

cgmetallica1981

Mar 15, 2010
Since when was TF2 even close to better than other FPS games? That title has always belonged to Bad Company 2, an actually unique, squad-based FPS that I never see hated on.

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
TF2 has decent balance compared to most FPS games. Which is nice. It's not perfect, but it's more balanced that most of the shooter market. But if anyone actually claims the game requires teamwork, they are a liar.

It encourages teamwork, but it is entirely possible for a team of people working solely to fulfill their own goals, without a single thought to teamwork, to win regularly. Or even a medic-less team, too.

It's not...better...but it is different. And it's far from perfectly balanced. But you can't show me a perfectly balanced FPS. Because it doesn't exist
Yeah, that's the question about teamwork. I mean in COD or Battlefield you have teams, you have classes kinda and team work helps you win.

What is the difference between team work in these games?

Do they encourage it in an obvious way? Like Medic should heal high HP classes or that each class has an extremely specific task to do?

heyheysg

Jul 13, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
For me it's a combination of the variety, the balance, and the utter unrealism of it all. The game is almost as high mobility as the old arena shooters, and would be equally high if bunny hopping hadn't been taken out of the Orange Box version of the Source engine. Further, it has a playstyle for everyone, and each of those playstyles is a hard counter for another one. Is there an engie on the flag? Go demo, soldier, or spy, and take out his nest. Unhappy about that spy that keeps killing you? Go pyro and spycheck the crap out of everyone. I've played plenty of well balanced games, but I've never played one before that has such a strong sense of rock-paper-scissors, at least not in an FPS. It really is a unique game.

All that aside, it's not better than all other FPS games, just the vast majority of them. I've been playing a lot more of the older Battlefield games in the past couple of months than I have TF2, and they're different but I wouldn't say one or the other is objectively better. Stugeon's law may say that 90% of everything is crap, but there's so many FPS games out there that a fair few are really good.
So in terms of balance, there is something there that is obvious to the player. How come other FPS's don't seem to be able to do it? (The rock paper scissors thing).

And how is it that the OVERTIME always seem to come into 90% of the games I play?

That is pretty good balance

Kenny Doyle

Jun 4, 2008
It's not. It's just a game that PC gamers think they can stand on and be smug about.

They had to change it into fuckin' Gaia Online for it to remain "popular", that and the mass amount of nerd appeal that goes into it.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
TF2 has decent balance compared to most FPS games. Which is nice. It's not perfect, but it's more balanced that most of the shooter market. But if anyone actually claims the game requires teamwork, they are a liar.

It encourages teamwork, but it is entirely possible for a team of people working solely to fulfill their own goals, without a single thought to teamwork, to win regularly. Or even a medic-less team, too.

It's not...better...but it is different. And it's far from perfectly balanced. But you can't show me a perfectly balanced FPS. Because it doesn't exist

If the two teams are both largely ignoring teamwork, then it's like that. But when one team has at least a few people working together well, then the other team isn't going to fare well if they don't do the same. That's been my experience, at least.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
it's just flat out fun. you can work as a team or just throw yourselves at the enemy, either way, you're helping you team to win. there's plenty of customization and it's all balanced quite well. the maps are fun, the art style is fun, the game is fun. play it.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
heyheysg said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
For me it's a combination of the variety, the balance, and the utter unrealism of it all. The game is almost as high mobility as the old arena shooters, and would be equally high if bunny hopping hadn't been taken out of the Orange Box version of the Source engine. Further, it has a playstyle for everyone, and each of those playstyles is a hard counter for another one. Is there an engie on the flag? Go demo, soldier, or spy, and take out his nest. Unhappy about that spy that keeps killing you? Go pyro and spycheck the crap out of everyone. I've played plenty of well balanced games, but I've never played one before that has such a strong sense of rock-paper-scissors, at least not in an FPS. It really is a unique game.

All that aside, it's not better than all other FPS games, just the vast majority of them. I've been playing a lot more of the older Battlefield games in the past couple of months than I have TF2, and they're different but I wouldn't say one or the other is objectively better. Stugeon's law may say that 90% of everything is crap, but there's so many FPS games out there that a fair few are really good.
So in terms of balance, there is something there that is obvious to the player. How come other FPS's don't seem to be able to do it? (The rock paper scissors thing).

And how is it that the OVERTIME always seem to come into 90% of the games I play?

That is pretty good balance
I'm responding both to this post and the one above it with this quote, so bear with me. The three games you mentioned, Battlefield, CoD, and TF2, all have very different sorts of teamwork. In CoD, teamwork is really unnecessary, and is in fact discouraged by the mechanics; grouping together is a bad thing when K/D is the main indicator of victory, and a single grenade can take out the entire team. None of the classes are a specific counter to much of anything; people generally make the best class they can with the weapons available, and try to get as many kills as possible.

In the Battlefield games, at least Battlefield 2, teamwork is absolutely necessary, but the form it takes is squads of six people, five of whom answer to the squad leader, and the sixth of whom answers to the commander. Orders trickle down from the commander, and the squads scramble to capture flags. A good squad leader can get his squad in and out of the spawn points, capturing them quickly and with minimal losses. The different classes can be used to counter specific things -- for example, every squad needs at least a couple player of the Anti Tank class, as well as a medic or two -- but they aren't quite as hard of a counter as the ones in TF2. The real power in the game is in the vehicles, and any class can use those.

As for TF2, my other post pretty much explained it. There's only so much any single class can do; a good team not only needs a decent spread of classes, it also needs members who recognize when to switch classes to counter something on the other team, as in the examples I mentioned. Unless both teams are full of rambos, team work is an absolute must; if one team is working togther, and the other isn't, the team that doesn't work together will be steamrolled. The same can be said for Battlefield, but not so much CoD.

As for the Overtime thing you mentioned, Overtime kicks in when the objective is partially captured by the team that would otherwise lose. For example, in a CP map, if the blue team has part of the final point captured, the game will go into overtime until they either cap it, or the meter runs out, and it goes completely back to red/uncapped. In a payload map, overtime lasts as long as there is someone from the attacking team on the cart. It's kind of an acknowledgment by the game that sometimes the the defending team has lost, even if the timer says they won.

To answer the last question, why the strategy in other games isn't as obvious as it is in TF2, I'm not sure. TF2 is almost RTS like in the way each unit counters another. In most FPS games, the differences in the overall abilities of the different classes -- if there even are different classes -- are minimal beyond what weapons they happen to be carrying. I can think of very few games that have classes as specific as the ones in TF2, and most of those are F2P games that came out after TF2.

tsaweeos

Nov 5, 2008
I don't play TF2 (I can't get into it) but I do like it a lot.
It's cartoon art style is refreshing to the FPS genre and lets be honest,
every FPS multiplayer game has the same generic, recycled game modes:
Deathmatch, Team deathmatch, CTF, king of the hill (aha hold area for X amount of time) or territories (battle field, cod, halo). Bomb/Defuse (Was great in Counter Strike but in other games it's meh.)
I'm sure there's other game modes I'm forgetting but at least TF2's Gold Rush freshens things up a bit and L4D's versus mode was pretty damn original.

I don't mean to sound like such an intense valve fan but those game modes are the only things I can think of (at the time of writing this) that are original in this genre.