Why is the Escapist obsessed with Minecraft?

NicotineStainedSoul

Jan 24, 2009
A gaming website reporting on a game at the height of its popularity. Seems obvious to me there would be a lot of reporting on it. Plus, what other game do you know of where people can actually make computers inside the game playing games, or 3d printers building stuff automatically. c'mon man, that's pretty damn cool.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Stall said:
Minecraft is just popular. That's about it really. It's an easy way for the Escapist to milk hits on their articles, since they are so desperate for them.

AzrealMaximillion said:
You hear of anything that exciting this year? We have sequels to look forward to. This game is new.
Dude, what does that have to do with anything? Minecraft has been out for at least two years... it is hardly new. YOU might have just discovered it, but it has been floating around on the internet for a while now.

Woodsey said:
Because a Minecraft update brings new features, and people want to know about them.
Only if there existed some kind of notes-like object that documented the changes made in patches. And these bizzare contraptions could be posted by developers! Do you know what we might call these things? Patch documents? Patch pads? Patch... damn I got nothing.

Such a concept would revolutionize the very way we would play games! I'm going to patent this and make a fortune!
Wrong, Minecraft has been in BETA for two years. It's just about to be fully released so there's a massive buzz around it. It's in constant update and each new feature brings something new to the game.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Wrong, Minecraft has been in BETA for two years. It's just about to be fully released so there's a massive buzz around it. It's in constant update and each new feature brings something new to the game.
Um, what the hell does the game being in beta have to do with fucking anything? Minecraft has still been around the internet for a few years now-- beta or gold. It's not new by the very definition of "new". Also, there's no "massive buzz" around it. That's all in your head. If you think Minecraft is new, then you really, REALLY need to re-evaluate your definition of "new".

Seriously dude. You need to go look up "new".

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Stall said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Um, what the hell does the game being in beta have to do with fucking anything? Minecraft has still been around the internet for a few years now-- beta or gold. It's not new by the very definition of "new". Also, there's no "massive buzz" around it. That's all in your head. If you think Minecraft is new, then you really, REALLY need to re-evaluate your definition of "new".

Seriously dude. You need to go look up "new".
First if all, no need to be an asshat. Seriously you can disagree with me without the need to be a prick about it.

Second of all going gold, and being in Beta are two completely different things. Look the terms up.

"Um, what the hell does the game being in beta have to do with fucking anything? Minecraft has still been around the internet for a few years now-- beta or gold."
Being in beta means the game is not done... That's the difference.

You wouldn't call beta testing an upcoming MMO a full release would you? Why whould you do it for Minecraft? The game isn't done so it's considered incomplete by default. Yes it was made available 2 years ago, but then again, it wasn't that much of a game 2 years ago was it.

Again try to be more polite.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Second of all going gold, and being in Beta are two completely different things. Look the terms up.
I know what those words mean. I'm not an idiot. I used them in my post... did you even read it?

AzrealMaximillion said:
And? Minecraft still isn't going to be "done" when it has it goes gold (whatever that term is supposed to mean with discussing a game such as Minecraft). Hypothetically, if it sat in beta for another two years, you would STILL call it new when it has its launch date in 2013 just because it hasn't gone gold? That makes no bloody sense.

Plus, the game has already sold 3 million units. How can it be "new" if the game has effectively already been selling like hotcakes?

AzrealMaximillion said:
You wouldn't call beta testing an upcoming MMO a full release would you? Why whould you do it for Minecraft? The game isn't done so it's considered incomplete by default. Yes it was made available 2 years ago, but then again, it wasn't that much of a game 2 years ago was it.
Your post is nothing beyond sound and fury. You didn't once say why Minecraft is a "new" game, when it has virtually "been out" for 2 years now. All you said is that it is incomplete. And what does that have to do with anything? Just because something is incomplete doesn't mean it isn't "new" until its done. That's horrible, horrible logic. The game has been incomplete for two years now. People have been playing it incomplete for two fucking years now. It's SOLD 3 million copes incomplete. How can it possibly be new in ANY definition of the god damn word? It isn't a new game for god's sake. The progress of its "completeness" somehow doesn't qualify it as new.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Stall said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I know what those words mean. I'm not an idiot. I used them in my post... did you even read it?

AzrealMaximillion said:
And? Minecraft still isn't going to be "done" when it has it goes gold (whatever that term is supposed to mean with discussing a game such as Minecraft). Hypothetically, if it sat in beta for another two years, you would STILL call it new when it has its launch date in 2013 just because it hasn't gone gold? That makes no bloody sense.

Plus, the game has already sold 3 million units. How can it be "new" if the game has effectively already been selling like hotcakes?

AzrealMaximillion said:
Your post is nothing beyond sound and fury. You didn't once say why Minecraft is a "new" game, when it has virtually "been out" for 2 years now. All you said is that it is incomplete. And what does that have to do with anything? Just because something is incomplete doesn't mean it isn't "new" until its done. That's horrible, horrible logic. The game has been incomplete for two years now. People have been playing it incomplete for two fucking years now. It's SOLD 3 million copes incomplete. How can it possibly be new in ANY definition of the god damn word? It isn't a new game for god's sake. The progress of its "completeness" somehow doesn't qualify it as new.
You seriously need to calm down. Seriously. I can feel the rage behind your keystrokes. In my opinion, a game isn't a full game until its release. It's not even really a game until its been fully released. There are functions in it that don't have a purpose yet. Like an experience bar with no point to it for now. And the fact that some new worlds can be spawned with the intent for purely underwater experience, which has not been implemented. It'll be a new game this November upon release. Yes it have been playable for 2 years but it's not done. Therefore, not a game.

Umm... The Old Republic is in closed beta but still has over 200 thousand pre-orders. I know that there are thousands of people who are currently beta testing the game. It'll still be called a new game when it goes gold.

You're arguing semantics here. You're also getting mad for no reason.