Why is under-eating more demonized than overeating in society?

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I'm not sure if undereating is more demonized. If anything, people are more likely to excuse those who undereat with "They are victims of social standards" or "They are actually mentally ill", while those that overeat are considered "Oh, they're just greedy and lazy"

Now don't get me wrong on this: anorexia and bulimia are indeed very much affected by mental illness; that is to say those that practice these things are often themselves suffering from a mental illness. When I said "excuse", I didn't mean that people were making shit up, rather that people are more willing to look for multiple explanations for undereating while overeating is usually seen from one view.

There is a reason however why this dichotomy exists: while undereating is seen as dangerous to a single person, overeating is seen as something that is dangerous to a single person but has negative effects on multiple people. That is, overeating is seen as wasteful and as such is a practice that limits the amount of food that other people can eat. Undereating, while indeed unhealthy, is at least something that doesn't necessarily take away something from other people. Also this dichotomy is also relevant to the view of perfect body images, as in while people are likely to call people who undereat victims of this view, it's not viewed as badly because a) there's a killing to be made in the weight-loss market, and b) people, while accepting that someone is a victim of a view, are unlikely to admit that a certain view of beauty is dangerous/unrealistic enough to cause a problem

If you ask me personally, both have their issues, and I can't say for certain that one is necessarily worse than the other

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
SacremPyrobolum said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I should think any body type beyond "average" gets demonized one way or the other these days.
And isn't that the crux of it, what the fuck is "average"?
By World Health Organization standards, any weight that results in a Body Mass Index higher than 18.5 and lower than 25. Apparently if you have a BMI lower than 18.5 you're underweight, if you're higher than 25 you're overweight (physically unhealthy) and higher than 30 is diagnosed as morbid obesity. If you're anywhere between 18.5 and 25, science declares you "average" - or healthy, which I think is a prettier word.

jnixon

May 27, 2013
America is the only place where it's ok to be obese, in other countries it's kind of seen as a problem (shocking right) so over-eating is much more demonised. I'm pretty sure even in america though people value being skinny more than being overweight so you're just talking out of your arse really

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
For one thing, I think the stigmatization behind our language is also partially to blame. If you greeted someone with, "Hey! You're really fat," it'll probably lead to a fight.
Replace "fat" with "skinny" and many people will take it as a compliment.

Henrik Knudsen

Apr 15, 2013
Governments and all kinds of experts talk about The Obesity Epidimic.

Yap, fat people getting sidelined with The Black Death, The Spanish Flu etc.

Think that answers all.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
People who under-eat are considered victims of societal standards of body image and tend to be pitied.

Overweight people are considered greedy and lazy, with no self control.

Which one is more demonised again?
This, this so hard.

The worst I've heard levied against an anorexic is that they're vain, but that's pretty uncommon. Anorexics are almost always characterized as victims, while the obese are most most commonly seen as weak. While calling them victims as well isn't unheard of, it's more often the former than the latter.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
As an aside, apparently now that obesity has been labelled a disease in the US (against the advice of the experts they asked, of course), there's lots more money to be made out of it. More than there was before, I mean.

And more dangerous pseudoscience, of course.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
afroebob said:
Type "biggest loser" into youtube and tell me fat people arent demonised. That program is actually sickening. Its basically about this scary lesbian woman (who is probably less attractive than the fat women) and her muscly man friend who together have the personality of a brick, a big grey breezeblock infact. Their lives revolve around eating leaves and lifting heavy shit. They make it their life ambition to abuse fat people. Its almost as if they were the school bullies and that was all the were good at. Even the title "biggest loser"meaning the contestant who has lost the most weight and still makes it sound negative.

Im not saying that being obese is attractive or healthy but neither is being a ****. Id rather we had a nation of nice happy fat people than a nation of irritating self obsessed twats

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Probably because eating disorders that cause malnourishment are mental health issues, and much of the western world still has an appalling attitude towards mental health issues.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's demonised as much as overeating, though. I suppose overeating, while it can be compulsive and a serious problem, is an easy thing to end up doing and is therefore more easily relatable and ultimately becomes a topic for amusement (not precluding concern). Undereating is the opposite, it rarely comes without some kind of mental health problem, and there's a stigma there; thus people prefer to sweep it under the table rather than discuss it.

Feb 28, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
By World Health Organization standards, any weight that results in a Body Mass Index higher than 18.5 and lower than 25. Apparently if you have a BMI lower than 18.5 you have anorexia nervosa, if you're higher than 25 you're overweight (physically unhealthy) and higher than 30 is diagnosed as morbid obesity. If you're anywhere between 18.5 and 25, science declares you "average" - or healthy, which I think is a prettier word.
Are you sure that they regard <18.5 as anorexia nervosa? I am looking at the WHO site on BMI and can't find a mention of it, and it would seem rather sensational for them to say this. As an aside, I have a BMI of 16.9 according to the calculator, and yet I eat what I like and don't in any way restrict my food -- so clearly this is the weight I should be, and I don't like being told I'm "underweight".

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
MasterOfHisOwnDomain said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
By World Health Organization standards, any weight that results in a Body Mass Index higher than 18.5 and lower than 25. Apparently if you have a BMI lower than 18.5 you have anorexia nervosa, if you're higher than 25 you're overweight (physically unhealthy) and higher than 30 is diagnosed as morbid obesity. If you're anywhere between 18.5 and 25, science declares you "average" - or healthy, which I think is a prettier word.
Are you sure that they regard <18.5 as anorexia nervosa? I am looking at the WHO site on BMI and can't find a mention of it, and it would seem rather sensational for them to say this. As an aside, I have a BMI of 16.9 according to the calculator, and yet I eat what I like and don't in any way restrict my food -- so clearly this is the weight I should be, and I don't like being told I'm "underweight".
Forgive the wording. Having a BMI lower than 18.5 is just a symptom of anorexia, not the actual condition.
Regarding whether you're underweight or not, the WHO would classify you as Underweight, of the moderate thinness kind.

http://apps.who.int/bmi/index.jsp?introPage=intro_3.html

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Remember BMI is not a very accurate measurement. Really BMI should be measured through your bodys electrical resistance. Remember also that people who are muscular will appear to have a high BMI when infact they are very lean.

I wouldnt worry about 16.9 especially if you eat what you like. I would like to take a stab in the dark and say you are still fairly young which is probably a factor

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
You only get demonized for eating too little if you're way, WAY under the norm. As in, barely able to walk. At that point, it becomes a danger to your well-being. You could literally fall over dead the next day- thus people are very concerned.

Meanwhile, being fat may kill you in 20 or 30 years or never.

If you're a little underweight though? That's pretty much a 100% positive trait.

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
The local culture and internet culture where I dwell demonizes both undereating and over eating; however, it is over eating which carries more of a stigma, and rightfully so. Those who under eat may be victims of the media and uncommonly concerned with image, but at least they must put forth uncommon effort to change their body. Further, there are demonstable health benefits to being under weight. Those who over eat are putting forth the opposite of effort, giving in to base desires without moderation. Sure, some people are affected by health issues which cause them to gain weight, but they represent the uncommon minority. Society should not adjust it's perception of the common cause of obesity to accomodate those affected by rare defects.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well, don't look to BMI for any real use, it's very misleading. BMI is basically just your height to weight comparison, meaning that someone who has lots of muscle and incredibly low body-fat percentage will be considered "overweight" by their standards. It also doesn't factor in things like cholesterol, resting heart rate, blood pressure, etc. There are plenty of people in phenomenal shape and extremely healthy who would be considered "underweight" or "overweight" by the BMI scale.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
SacremPyrobolum said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I should think any body type beyond "average" gets demonized one way or the other these days.
And isn't that the crux of it, what the fuck is "average"?
Male, white, between the age of 25 and 35, height between 175 and 185, weight between 65 and 75kg. If you don't fall under all of these criteria, you pretty much have no place in our current society :/

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I'm going to go ahead and say that it's not society doing that, it's your hamlet.

Because seriously, what the whatty what what?

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Not...eating... demonized? Never heard of such a thing. What part of the US are you from, OP? I've lived in various places on both coasts as well as Kentucky/Tennessee (kind of on the border), Arkansas, Idaho and Mississippi (granted, only around military installations)... and I've never seen someone with an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia treated with anything but pity or compassion.

...you sure it's not just a thing in your family?

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
What bizarro place do you live in?

It's not even close. Fat people are waaaaaay more demonized.