Why isn't Anonymous helping us against SOpa and PIPA

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
Seriously, They've occasionally been dicks and have definitely done stuff to gain the hate of many.
But These two acts are the sum of everything they hate, if they attacked Jean Simmons because went against their ideals, why aren't they attacking something that threatens to destroy the internet by massive Censorship.
Oh and here's another thing
on a different train of thought Who the hell does the US congress think its is? the internet is everywhere, like in Canada. SO they are imposing on international affairs, seriously this isn't legal.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
Do you think their help would actually help here? Or do more harm than good?

I think they are wise to stay out of this, their reputation is not exactly stellar among some people so their help might just muddle the issue. Not to mention that their help is not really even needed here.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
What could they really do? With all the website protests and blackouts and politcal figures speaking out against SOPA, I don't think Anonymous' involvement would make any difference at all.

This isn't a case about hacking the website of some old washed up loudmouth. A majority of the internet has something to say about this, and everyone is coming out about it.

Now's not the time for lulz. This is serious business.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'm impressed the many factions of Anonymous have had the foresight to stay out of this.

Remember this; they are regarded by the American Government as little more than cyber terrorists. Having them oppose a bill would give senators a strong reason to support the bill (the enemy of my enemy is my friends).

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Presumably because they didn't feel like it. OP has Anonymous confused with Superman. They don't fly around the world looking for injustices to put right. They're completely whimsical and amoral.

Derek_the_Dodo

Sep 28, 2010
anonymous isn't one group. its everyone without an identity online. sure there are a few people who use the name "anonymous" but it doesn't mean that they are an organised body ready to act with unity. It's their greatest weakness, but also their greatest strength.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
AC10 said:
Remember this; they are regarded by the American Government as little more than cyber terrorists. Having them oppose a bill would give senators a strong reason to support the bill (the enemy of my enemy is my friends).
Naw, doesn't really work like that. Congress wouldn't be scared off from not supporting a bill just because some idiot hackers came out against it, too. Just like liberal congresspeople don't vote for wars just because racist morons like David Duke and Alex Jones are against them.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Dont give "them" any ideas.

The last thing we need is Anonymous attacking sites and shit to protest SOPA. Fuck that dude. Every time they get on the news its "herp cyber TERRORISTS" and you know how most americans react when you mention terrorists.

Tohuvabohu said:
What could they really do? With all the website protests and blackouts and politcal figures speaking out against SOPA, I don't think Anonymous' involvement would make any difference at all.

This isn't a case about hacking the website of some old washed up loudmouth. A majority of the internet has something to say about this, and everyone is coming out about it.

Now's not the time for lulz. This is serious business.
Damn right. This is about protecting the lulz, and so much more. For once, the internet IS serious business.
So you think that they didnt make claims on videos already?? or that they didnt do the peacefull thing of gather a bunch of protesters??

Hussmann54

Dec 14, 2009
anonymous should probably stay out of this. They are just the sort of thing the people behind SOPA would love to have as ammunition for their argument. If any anons are reading this, please just stay out of the limelight on this one... please.....

Gralian

Me, I'm Counting
Sep 24, 2008
Considering the internet isn't owned by any one nation, and that corporate enterprises do not represent nations themselves, they are entitled to censor whatever they deem inappropriate - that's the thinking, anyway. It isn't about America encroaching on the sovereignty of other nations and their peoples, it's about free enterprise protecting their interests on a free internet. Which is hilariously ironic considering if SOPA passes it will be 'free' no longer.

I think Anonymous is smart enough to recognise that an organised collective bigger than themselves is taking the reigns of the SOPA protest and that their input would only classify as interference. They want it gone just as much as us, and they're going to support us whether that is through inaction or otherwise. For all we know they might already be doing things behind the scenes. Anonymous isn't always about the big flamboyant cartoon villain gestures.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Because they don't attack anyone/thing that might actually be able to bite back.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
What is with all the people treating anonymous as a "single entity"? You know that if you put on a guy fawkes mask, make a video and just say you're anonymous, and then just put it on 4chan, you actually are a part of anonymous.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Quite frankly their methods would do us NO good in the issue since we already have websites and people that actually HAVE accountability standing up for us. Their methods would only harm rather than help anyway now that we've already established to congress that it's common, level-headed citizens who are heavily concerned with it.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
If the police were keeping a close eye on you because you're a suspected criminal, you don't go on a fucking shooting spree inside the police station. It's as fucking simple as that.

Kristian Fischer

Aug 15, 2011
Orinon said:
Seriously, They've occasionally been dicks and have definitely done stuff to gain the hate of many.
But These two acts are the sum of everything they hate, if they attacked Jean Simmons because went against their ideals, why aren't they attacking something that threatens to destroy the internet by massive Censorship.
Oh and here's another thing
on a different train of thought Who the hell does the US congress think its is? the internet is everywhere, like in Canada. SO they are imposing on international affairs, seriously this isn't legal.
If Anonymous did A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G about this, it would play into the hands of this idiotic bill's sponsors at lightspeed. We're trying to get rid of SOPA, not help it pass.