Why it is acceptable to criticize smokers, but not fat people?

CthulhuMessiah

Apr 28, 2011
Jaime_Wolf said:
Third, why shouldn't people who lack willpower and motivation be a "protected" class?
I lack the willpower and motivation to move out of my parent's basement and get a job. Does that mean that the government should pay my bills to an apartment and give me enough money to live off of comfortably via welfare per month?

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Extravagance said:
You can criticise smokers for affecting other people if and only if they affect other people. If its in the comfort of your own home/other designated area, then they should be left alone. There is alot of very controlling anti-smoking stuff happening here in the UK, above and beyond pretty much any other health concern like drinking or obesity. They recently tried to pass a law forcing unhealthy foods to either carry massive health warnings or increase their level of..healthiness. Didn't pass though.

As to the smell: I smoke a pipe, it smells loverly as most tobacco is flavoured. Coffee caramel <3

If you're going to critcise people for unhealthy habits, it needs to be across the board. Smokers, drinkers (of any amount) and unhealthy eaters. That or give over and just let people be.
Small problem with your theory on drinkers. It has been proven that drinking one glass of red wine per day is heart healthy.

Drink all you want as long as you are single, can hold your job and don't drive. Smoke smells, either it is laced with chemicals to make the smoke smell decent or it reeks. Either way it bothers people.

There is also a degree of fat that we are talking about here. If your BMI is too high, I don't care. If you take up 3 seats on a plane and still won't stop eating greasy food I have a problem with you.

I am by no means a small person, but at least I'm not a 300+ lb behemoth and I still think that I need to drop a few pounds just for my health. If I can see your ass while you are walking towards me, you need to lose some weight.

CthulhuMessiah

Apr 28, 2011
uncanny474 said:
1. Being fat hurts other people.

As for the health insurance thing, that's like saying that you're selfish because you've got any other chronic disease. Being fat isn't necessarily something you can control with healthy eating. There's a lot of genetics that plays into it, as well as you stretching as far as you can for something to hurt fat people with.

As for your assertion that it hurts children because there's "no healthy food in the house", that's just not true. Period. My mother keeps the pantries stocked with whole-wheat foods, vegetables (both canned and fresh) and fruits (mostly fresh). Yes, we have ACCESS to junk food, but we have access to non-junk-food as well, and my brother is thin as a twig to show for it.

Plus, begin fat isn't harmful to everyone in a radius around you. If I binge, everyone gets grossed out and calls me a pig. If I smoke, I give the people around me cancer. Kind of a difference there.

*Snip*

Stop generalizing, stop soapboxing, and stop trolling.
1. Just because YOU had a good mother that gives you more to eat than cheeseburgers, it doesn't mean ALL mothers give their kids health alternatives and tell them they should eat healthy.

2. Unless you have constant exposure to second-hand smoke, the effects are negligible.

Plus, some studies (Which some people posted earlier) show that if someone hangs around with multiple people who are eating excessively/obese, that person is more likely to eat excessively.

3. You generalized earlier *Troll face*

Hendar

Mar 20, 2009
I criticize neither and I don't think it's okay but in Sweden at least it's okay to criticize both, more obesity than smoker these days. I'm overweight, people are appalling sometimes. Actually most of the time, I don't ride the bus any more because of it. People will outright laugh at you, I'm not kidding. Some will just stare and snicker at you and others will taunt you openly. If you even defend yourself you will be attacked by others around you verbally.

I'm not overweight because I have an eating disorder, I eat normally but I was depressed for many many years because of the situation I was in with my school where my teachers and class mates bullied me. I basically stopped going out or moving at all on a daily basis and gained a lot of weight because of it. It's not all about eating disorders or eating a lot of candy, tbh some of the stuff that media outlets claim people like me drink and eat constantly like some sort of eating machine I can't afford. It's very common that obese people are paraded in the media as some sort of freak show and that it's as easy as taking two steps to loose 100 pounds in weight. It isn't, a lot of health issues that people don't talk about is the constant pain. Cracked feet that bleed out, busted knees and sometimes your feet can twist causing you even more pain.

I'm happy with myself the way I am, I at one point cared what others thought and said but I don't any more. I am losing weight though but I came out of my depression, it is a very slow process though. I really do not like it when others bully or criticize others for being overweight. The fact is you don't know why, it's not okay to go at others for smoking either. You just don't know why they do the things they do, everyone has a habit they should probably quit. Why is yours any different from anyone elses? I knew a woman who weighed more than 300 pounds, want to know why? She wanted to be unattractive so that her father wouldn't rape her any more. Her father used to take her down to the basement when she was young and rape her over and over again but he stopped doing it when she was overweight because he was no longer attracted to her. So she kept eating and eating. So she got an eating disorder because of it, she felt safe from him because she was overweight. Don't criticise others until you know why or how, it's not all black and white. The world is far from 2 dimensional, being overweight doesn't always concern food or the overconsumption of it. Why someone might have an eating disorder isn't always that simple or why someone is smoking. It isn't as simple as just quitting. When it comes to eating disorders, psychological trauma is more often the case of why and how.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
I'm not sure if too many people will see this, and I'm not sure if it's been posted yet, but I really think this explains why losing weight is so difficult:

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=141794801&m=141855724

There are a lot of people in this thread who are saying "just exercise and you'll lose the weight!" or "just stop eating 30 hamburgers a day and you'll lose those pounds!" but honestly, as someone who has tried, it's not that simple. Your body actively fights against weight loss the harder you try to lose the weight. It is insanely easy to be come discouraged and think it's not worth trying. Making fun of people who are trying to lose, or have given up trying, does not make them want to fight harder. It can validate the thought that losing is impossible for them--they're too weak to try.

And what happens if you get motivated and lose the weight? You have to keep up whatever diet or exercise plan you were on for the rest of your life (this is, incidentally, why fad diets don't work). Mess up and you're overweight/obese again. Add to this the fact that people who have never been overweight will always get to eat more than you while your body tells you it's dying.

So, please, while smokers get a pretty bad rap (honestly, I don't care what you put in your lungs, your personality should not become null and void because someone else dislikes that thing), don't think all/most/any fat person is simply just "too lazy" to be thin. What may have started as a simple poor lifestyle decision can easily be an incredible challenge to fix, no matter if it's smoking, drinking, drugs, or daily hamburgers.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Because I can't recall the last time a fat person walked by and threw their fat into my face...

My problem with smokers is when I'm sitting/standing somewhere, and they walk to me (or walk in front of me when I'm walking somewhere) and throw their smoke in my face. At that point I want to, and gladly and remorselessly would if the law allowed it, detach their heads from their necks. As long as you're not affecting me I don't care if you're a 500 pound smoker sniffing crack off of a hooker's tits. It's your life. Do whatever you want with it.

The closest I can think of for fat people is if they sit next to you and "flab" over your sit. But then you're shit out of luck cause I will push you out of MY seat. Easy to fix, and doesn't really happen often. I rarely come across people fat enough to take two seats, let alone have them sit next to me.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Personally I think that Fat people do get an easy ride when it comes to criticism, there is a very apparent desire within to society to blame fatness, or fat related issues, on anything BUT the fat person. Whilst smokers get all the blame and hatred lumped on them, without ever stopping to consider other contributing factors.

On the subject of which is easier to control (Smoking habits vs bas eating habits) I, personally, am finding changing my diet (i'm heavier than I want to be, not overweight to any obvious degree but certainly more than I'd like) to be more than a few orders of magnitude more difficult. Though I am not a typical case; I quit smoking, after 3 years of smoking heavily, cold turkey in a single day without even a mood swing and I know that this is anything but an atypical example.

Overall I dont think Fat people deserve the same level of vitriol as smokers (Though tbh I dont think smokers deserve the amount of vitriol they get), but they certainly deserve SOME - Smokers should receive less, Fatties should receive more.

Fatty Fat Fats.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
If a person got fat by choice then I will complain if it is a hindrance to me.

thatreynoldsman

Jan 2, 2011
Implying it isn't acceptable to criticise fat people.
Yeah, because fat people are never criticised, and when they are told, it is NEVER just accepted by everyone else.
/f***ing thread