Why its still not cool to admit youre a Gamer

Tunahead

May 29, 2009
Deguasser said:
Irridium said:
Fallout 3 good plot?
HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sorry, you may like it, but I find it just laughable.

And this article has been discussed to death. I agree with most points as well.
really? I felt that way towards Half-Life.
Guys, don't argue, you're both right.

The story of Fallout 3 sucks because it's a story about clean water and the importance thereof. Meanwhile in the magical land of gameplay, when you actually find clean water you don't actually ever consider drinking it for sustenance or saving it for harsh road trips in the wilderness. Instead you are likely to go "Sweet, I just murdered a ton of people so it's a good thing I got this so I can forcefeed it to a hobo". Awesome. No seriously, it is awesome. I am not being sarcastic. It is awesome in the same way that it is awesome when the physics glitch out after you murder a raider and he turns into a noodleperson and flies into the horizon and I laugh until I need to go to the bathroom. Awesome, yet so very, very stupid.

The story of Half-Life on the other hand is stupid because the main character doesn't fit into the storyline. Let me just refresh all your memories of the storyline with this brief summary: Once upon a time there was a man named Gordon Freeman, who was the most awesome warrior that ever lived. So naturally when an alien apocalypse came, everyone cried out to G-Dawg to save them with his awesome combat skills while they personally huddled in their shacks. This is actually not a bad story so far, but then someone had the ingenious idea of making the main protagonist a scientist. This is especially stupid in the HL2 Episode 2 finale, where you have a bunch of extremely heavily armed resistance people cowering in a base while Gordon drives around shoving some scientist's balls into a strider's face. Ridiculous.

Legendairy314

Aug 26, 2010
I think a lot can be said about the general population of gamers and the people who make them. Marketers aren't helping either.

Naota_391

Mar 6, 2010
ultrachicken said:
How the hell does Half-life have a good story? That's fine if you like the game, but it's really just the standard "aliens invade and badass silent protagonist shoots them with machine guns" storyline.

Fallout 3 also had a shit story, though I loved that game.

*flameshield*
What? Oh, yeah. Half-Life had the standard "aliens invade through stupid rift in dimension, lab gets fucked up, main hero somehow disappears for a number of years and appears again without aging and then struggles in a fight for oppressed people against a group with a strong military and the technology to enslave aliens, along with the occasional visit from a man who pops out of nowhere to somehow intervene with your life at ridiculous moments". That aside, it has good and believable characters that you see continuously throughout the story. It's GOOD.

And come on, WHAT? WHAT was wrong Falout 3's story? WHAT made it complete shit? I'm getting so got damn tired of this. What, it's shit because the plot on its most BASIC level seems pretty familiar? If people saw this in a movie (which they do ALL the fucking time), they would not be half as quick to dismiss it.

THERE ARE ONLY 7 BASIC PLOTLINES WITH WHICH TO TELL A STORY, PEOPLE. GET USED TO BEING FAMILIAR WITH THEM.

Naota_391

Mar 6, 2010
ShadeHedgehog1 said:
Naota_391 said:
I'll tell anyone and everyone I'm a gamer. It's been a long time since it created any kind of real social barrier for me. I make friends with all different kinds of people regardless of my hobby. Any douche bag who throws a fit over me whipping out a DS isn't the kind of person I'd want to be around, anyways.
Yeah, exactly!

Just today, my friend dissed me for getting out my PSP to play Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep,
It led to this big argument between us and I just stopped hanging out with him and his group.

I mean, yes it's ok to admit your a gamer, but don't take the crap people give you (if any).
I hardly ever pull it out randomly in the middle of hanging out, but it's not incredibly rare to walk up on me sitting alone and playing it while I wait for people I know to show up. Maybe I'm at the bookstore or something. Even if I do pull it out in the middle of a group, I'm cool with being teased a little bit. I'll run with it, get funny about it, and so on.

But I remember in Freshman year, I'd sit with a couple of guys every morning and eat breakfast. At some point, I'd pull out my DS and start playing NEW Super Mario Bros. This guy would give me shit all of the time for it. He'd look at me and say, "Really?" I'd look at him and say, "Uh, YEAH, really. Why?" He'd always says shit like, "Man, put the video games down and get out every once in a while." Shit like that pissed me off, because I actually did get out a lot. I could get laid, I had friends, I went out to places with people, blah, blah, blah.But people like that talk so much about they don't care what people think of them and they're going to be who they are, but they'll get real shifty anytime they're seen around something that can mess up their image.

Those people are called Fake, and Fake people get annoying to hang out with one way or another at some point.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
I've seen this article before in another thread here a few months ago. I'll say the same thing now that I said then. I don't give a toss if playing games isn't "cool". I don't play games to be cool. I play them because they're fucking fun!
Thread done. I play games because I enjoy it, and the day I'm ashamed to admit I'm a gamer is the day I hang up my controller and leave.

Naota_391

Mar 6, 2010
You think you just get to walk away, son? After all you've seen? After all you've DONE?

No. No, sir. You lived by that controller, and you'll die by it.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
Macgyvercas said:
I've seen this article before in another thread here a few months ago. I'll say the same thing now that I said then. I don't give a toss if playing games isn't "cool". I don't play games to be cool. I play them because they're fucking fun!
This. I like to play video games, so I play them. If someone is going to judge me based on one of my hobbies, well then they are an idiot.

freedomweasel

Sep 24, 2010
The most annoying thing I've noticed in relation to the topic:
(re-enactment)
Person looking at facebook for the past 5 hours takes a pause to mock someone playing xbox for 30 minutes.

Same goes for actually "knowing" how a computer works, being able to troubleshoot, build your own, minor coding etc.

Basically it all comes down to it's okay/cool to use computers/tech more often than breathing, but if you actually like the tech part on its own, you're a nerd.

Talon_Skywarp

Aug 2, 2010
bbbbbbaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I don't want to keep seeing this crap.

Pointless rubbish.

Lets get this straight people, who cares?

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
Vault101 said:
1) YOUR AVATAR IS DOG. YOU ARE NOW FOREVER IN MY LIST OF PEOPLE I RESPECT.

2) I agree with a lot of the points raised in that article, to be honest. But I don't think it's not cool to admit to being a gamer.
I'm not saying it's "cool", either, but I'm in first year uni, and about half or more of the guys I know on my floor (and most floors I've been to in which I've actually gotten to know the people) play games, and aren't shy about admitting it. And they're your typical/cliche sporty, drinks-and-heads-out-to-parties-a-lot guys that most people generally think of when they think of first year guys at uni.

Admitting you're going to a LAN party to non-gamers is, admittedly, a little harder to pass off. But just admitting you're a gamer is pretty widely accepted. At least, here in Victoria, Australia. :p

Naota_391

Mar 6, 2010
Dude, forget that. A couple of months ago I was trying out D&D. I'd be out with some chick, or maybe even my dad, when a friend would call and let me know when we were getting together next. I'd lay that shit down with no mercy. They'd be like, "Hey, who was that?" And I'd be like, "That was Oringer, our Avenger. Yeah, we know the name doesn't match his style, but his parents were peasants, so what can you expect? We're meeting again this wednesday in a dunegon to determine the fate of a grim group of warriors, traveling the lands far and wide with only the wind (and the occasional shop owner) as their guide!"

I'd make this really creepy face or something and the girl would just laugh. My dad would just cry silently in his corner, fumbling with the remote for ESPN. I loved it.

JaysonM

Sep 29, 2010
I personally thought that gaming was becoming more and more socially acceptable.

It's turned from only stereotypical 'geeky guy with glasses' and 'children' playing video games to just 'play video games as you would to watching television when you get home from work'.

I personally know people who thrash out 'Starcraft 2' or 'World of Warcraft' who you would never actually stop to think were hardcore video gamers. Infact, my sister who is quite a pretty girl who has all the boys chasing her plays 'The Sims' more than I play video games, and I play them a lot!

I still wouldn't bring up video games in a conversation for the same reason I wouldn't bring up television into a conversation.. It's boring!

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
I could post a nice wall of text, but I think they said it best [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits/2005-Gamer].

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
I never care very much of the plot, actually I can only think of one game that has a good plot and that's BioShock.

What I prefer is when a game has a good and realized setting/world/universe. Many games have a good setting but none has a good plot.

- Grim Fandango
- Fallout
- Half-Life
- Mass Effect

All have fantastic settings but they don't have the strongest plots (except Fallout of course)

TurtleBay

Sep 22, 2010
I think that part of the anti-social nerd tag also has to do with the length of games. It is much easier for somebody who wants to avoid the realities of the real world to escape to the video game world which eats up their time tens to hundreds of hours per game. By comparison, people who are into movies or music tend to get out more because these formats condense into segments that are less than two hours for the average album or feature film.