Why Jim Sterling's Mario Kart 7 review is bullshit.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
Jim Sterling, the character, is a professional TROLL. Everything he does is designed to educate you (against your will, of course) or just piss you off.

You need to grow a thicker skin or just don't watch his videos. If you take Jimquisition(!) seriously then it only leads to bad things.

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
Honestly, if he bases his score on the fact that it's a rehash of older games in the series, he's one of the few critics who does something right.

The Mapper

Feb 17, 2010
itsmeyouidiot said:
http://www.destructoid.com/review-mario-kart-7-216484.phtml

Jim Sterling, once again showing what a hypocrite he is, gives Mario Kart 7 a 5 out of 10 for being a "stagnant, crawling, and indolent effort" despite being more lenient towards the Dynasty Warriors series, which is just as stagnant as this game, if not more.
5/10 if anything that show Jim sticks to he word he like most people who understand how to count can see that 5/10 is an average game (as he devoted a hole episode to explaining on his show) 5/10 being exactly half way between 1 and 10... not good but not bad.

from what i read it seems like it got a 5 because it a fun and formulaic game but it doesn?t do anything great enough to warrant a marking up.

Just because you demand that a game that is bad should be given a 6 or 7 doesn?t mean that everyone who still has the ability to use numbers to rank something in a rational way must follow you!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
They get away with it because they keep making games with enough changes that it seems fresh and new and still enjoyable. Hell I dont even like mario kart and could probably count the number of nintendo games I actually enjoy on one hand.
They get away with it because nostalgia gives them a license to not make changes.

Sep 4, 2009
My reaction to reading the original post:

itsmeyouidiot said:
http://www.destructoid.com/review-mario-kart-7-216484.phtml

Jim Sterling, once again showing what a hypocrite he is, gives Mario Kart 7 a 5 out of 10 for being a "stagnant, crawling, and indolent effort" despite being more lenient towards the Dynasty Warriors series, which is just as stagnant as this game, if not more.
Hmm. Its a medium length post, I guess itsmeyouidiot is going to respect the audience by making a point by point argument detailing the overwhelming similarities between a the two games, contrast the single difference being how they are received by Jim Sterling and make the reasonable conclusion that Jim is welcoming one game and giving the cold shoulder to another.

OK, I'll keep reading.

But I kind of have a problem in general that the idea that being similar to previous games makes a game bad.
Umm. OK, I guess this will cover the merits of "innovative games" versus "refinement of games" too. Well, I don't see how that can be covered even in brief in such a post of this length. Still, I'll keep reading, because if I don't give the itsmeyouidiot a chance, how will I know it is not a thoughtful forum post.

Let me ask you something, Jim. Does Mario Kart 7 have new tracks? Does it have new characters? Does it have various minor tweaks to the formula, such as gliding, underwater racing, and kart customization?
Aw crap. This is starting to look egomaniacal. A poster directly addressing an issue on a video with its own forum post? That's the height of self aggrandising. I mean, if this was a genuine attempt at addressing this, emailing Jim to complain or whatever would at least show some constraint, or a sign that you want to address something.

But this? This is just like standing in the middle of a room full of people, getting on a soapbox, labelling someone as disengenuous and asking rhetorical questions - and all of them irrevelevant.

We're halfway thorough, and still haven't covered the fundamentals of making a reasonable argument that two very different games are similar and Jim is a hypocrite for reviewing them differently. I'm losing all hope for this fast.

If you answered "yes" to any of these, you've invalidated your own argument. Simply having new levels or any sort of new content more than a reskin is enough to keep any game series fresh. If a sequel has the exact same gameplay and graphics engine as the previous game, but has new levels, then it is still just as fun as the previous entry but is new enough to warrant a purchase.
JIM. ISN'T. HERE. This is a forum. You don't complain to Jim by going onto a forum no more than you go order a pizza by filming something and sticking it on Youtube!

Your inner dialogue is spilling incoherently onto the internet. Oh look, last paragraph. Last chance for relevance, c'mon, gimme some relevance...

I'm not saying innovation is bad, I'm just saying that you shouldn't automatically assume that the absence of it is bad.
He... what? Where'd he do that? I'm not sitting next to you watching the same videos with you, and a mind reader! Link it, you've squander my time already!

You can have a sequel change the formula to keep things new and exciting, as long as it's true to the spirit of the original and still fun, but after a certain point, there's nowhere left to go.
Which game are you even talking about? On a gaming forum this shouldn't be the kind of thing that need clarification.

Mario Kart has reached the point where there really isn't much to improve, but that's not a bad thing at all. Don't act like you NEED to make a radical change with each new game to keep the series fun, that's just bullshit. You just need new levels, new characters, a graphics update, and a few other minor tweaks.
Your post and reasons like this do nothing to improve gamers' standing, and game fora' standing in the eyes of others.

- You made a vague, sweeping generalisation with nothing supporting it and not even a link to the stuff to give anyone on the forum to draw their own conclusions.
- You went off topic into total irrelevancies.
- You insult someone by calling them a hypocrite, without even demonstrating you know what hypocrisy even means, you used it just like it was a generic insult.

Please don't do this, you're making everyone else look bad.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Man with all this CoD stuff I guess EA can get away with the Madden re-hashing with no problems now(sky rimshot =D...sorry). But I can't say anything for or about Jim cause I don't know him, but Mario Kart does feel old. Playing it on the Wii I was feeling...eh it's ok. But playing Call of Duty Black Ops I was feeling...eh it's ok. To be fair all sequels that doesn't change the game completely ala Final Fantasy is at risk of stagnating the series(And some how even that is stagnating a bit...). But games don't need to completely reinvent the wheel to be popular or good, look at dragon quest(Madden, Pokemon, Call of Duty). Even since the first one it has the same setting's pretty much the same themes (I only played 4,5,6, and 9 so I haven't got to play my copies of 1 2 and 3 yet). But it is the most popular RPG in japan. Point is you shouldn't really give a game a bad mark because of it's past series unless it has direct connection for plot coherence. Is Mario Kart the series good, meh; Is Mario Kart 7 good, I don't know didn't play it.

EDIT:Oh yeah a thought on Jim's review...who cares. If you love Mario kart you know your going to buy it anyway. I don't understand this whole "OMG he hates a game I love I must rage", I like negative reviews for a game if they are with in reason. Not just a troll review but one that makes good points. I loved the hell out of Sonic Chronicles and beat it twice, I read the reviews for it and noticed all the flaws they mentioned...now I just can't touch it anymore. But yeah games don't need to be given high scores because a reviewer's thoughts on a game =/= your thoughts on a game.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Yeah, he's not right! You're right!

Look, I know it hurts when someone insults the games you love, but the fact of the matter is that opinions will always get in the way of stuff like this. There's no need for the moaning.

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
DrederickTatum said:
It will be $10 in a bargain bin in a week, you are greatly exaggerating with $60.
Unlikely, but yeah, how dare he talk list price?

Farson89 said:
Threads like this are the reason why the whiny gamer stereotype exists.

"Oh noes! Someone has a different opinion from my own! Troll! Y U SO MEAN!?"

Seriously, fuck you people.
Yahtzee fans don't hurt.

"I want to see you rip into video games...But NOT THE ONES I LIKE!!!!!"
But I love it when he rips on games I like, one of my favorite reviews is Torchlight. I want him to rip up a Disgaea game soooo badly.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
You would have a point except your wrong about that. If you were not so blinded by hate you might actually see that they do indeed make plenty of changes in each new game. Sure the basics stay the same but that is how nearly every single sequal is.
You had me until "blinded by hate."

Your accusations are silly and baseless and the best you could come back with was "your (sic) wrong?"

Sorry.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
BoredRolePlayer said:
But I love it when he rips on games I like, one of my favorite reviews is Torchlight. I want him to rip up a Disgaea game soooo badly.
We're in a minority, though. It's like, every week you see people go "well, I normally agree with Yahtzee, but I LIKE THIS GAME!!!!!"

I think part of the reason I like it when he does the games I like is I actually know what he's talking about. Couldn't tell you jack about HALO, but when he covers an Assassin's Creed game, not only do I know the game (which can somewhat be said for a lot of games I don't like), but I liked it enough to stick with it and have seen what he's talking about. Sure, COD reviews are funny, but I'm just basically taking him at his word.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
no one cares, if the games are from different franchises, then of course the standards for them will be different. Also, its still his opinion.

but i haven't played either game so i don't know.

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
How dare Jim Sterling give HIS honest opinions about the game. HOW DARE HE!!!1!

Also, have you even played the game yet OP?...Well, have you?