Why Kinect Would Make For A Bad Spying Device

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
1. The camera can be easily blocked and the microphone muffled all with a simple pillow.

2. People will inevitably reverse engineer it for their own purposes like what they did with the first Kinect and find anything suspicious and when they do, a big deal will be made about it.

3. I'm sure it can be disconnected after you're done playing on the Xbox One.

Besides, I love how all of you are talking about privacy issues while completely ignoring the fact that smartphones (or actually any phones at all) are a much better, more widespread, and effective way of spying on people.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
1: That's a problem already. Why on earth would you buy a console that requires you to do such things for it to not be able to spy on you in the first place? Especially when it's competitors don't have the same problem.

2: A big deal has already been made out of it. It can grow bigger still, yes, but it's already a big deal. Doesn't mean they'll be discouraged to do it in the future.

3: Once again, why would you want a console that requires you to do such things in the first place?

True, smartphones are a more effective way of spying. But you can turn off (most) of those features permanently quite easily. There's the whole PRISM debacle, but that's a different topic.

In other words, a console that (at least in my case) requires me to block the camera and mic with something, and disconnect/reconnect it to the internet every time I start/stop playing is not a console I want to own.

Heck I wouldn't even ever use the Kinect. My current console is standing inside a small cabinet, and I like it there. There is no room for a Kinect to even work.

And finally: Sure, you CAN block the camera and mic, and you CAN disconnect it every time. But people are too used to convenience these days. So they don't want to do those things. They might at first, but then that laziness will kick in and they'll just go 'eh, fuck it'. At least, if they bought one in the first place.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You're just answering the issue with half-baked afterthoughts.
"It could be blocked", "It could be outsmarted", "It could be disconnected".
That's not the point.
The point is, why should we have to do any of that in the first place?

To quote Thoreau's Walden, " . . . instead of studying how to make it worth men's while to buy my baskets, I studied rather how to
avoid the necessity of selling them."

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
1. The camera can be easily blocked and the microphone muffled all with a simple pillow.
And how many people do you think would do that? 10% of all users? I'd say that's a bit high, even 5% would be high. The answer is "not a lot". How many people do you think currently tape off their webcam? I know 3 people, I think, that's not a lot, considering how many have webcams.

Arnoxthe1 said:
2. People will inevitably reverse engineer it for their own purposes like what they did with the first Kinect and find anything suspicious and when they do, a big deal will be made about it.
Yes, they would reverse engineer the Kinect and find it's a camera. Wow, that's earthsattering revelato-...wait, your webcam is also just a camera. Ern, sorry, but this point doesn't seem to make a lot of sense right now - the piece of hardware that accepts audio/visual input actually accepts audio/visual input. What ELSE is it supposed to do? Does it need to have a "TEH EVILZ!" chip inside with, like, pentagrams and dripping blood?

Arnoxthe1 said:
3. I'm sure it can be disconnected after you're done playing on the Xbox One.
So? At the very least, how many people do you think would bother? You clearly wouldn't. You have a very interesting argument "This is harmless because I turn it off, therefore I won't turn it off". Or are you planning to unplug the Kinect? In which case you're sort of contradicting yourself again - clearly in that case you won't think it harmless.

Arnoxthe1 said:
Besides, I love how all of you are talking about privacy issues while completely ignoring the fact that smartphones (or actually any phones at all) are a much better, more widespread, and effective way of spying on people.
And I love how you just made a generalisation with no basis in reality. Like really, do tell us more of these "smart-phones", I am sure nobody else thought of this before. I mean, if we disregard the thousands that have, nobody else has.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
sanquin said:
1: That's a problem already. Why on earth would you buy a console that requires you to do such things for it to not be able to spy on you in the first place? Especially when it's competitors don't have the same problem.

2: A big deal has already been made out of it. It can grow bigger still, yes, but it's already a big deal. Doesn't mean they'll be discouraged to do it in the future.

3: Once again, why would you want a console that requires you to do such things in the first place?

True, smartphones are a more effective way of spying. But you can turn off (most) of those features permanently quite easily. There's the whole PRISM debacle, but that's a different topic.

In other words, a console that (at least in my case) requires me to block the camera and mic with something, and disconnect/reconnect it to the internet every time I start/stop playing is not a console I want to own.

Heck I wouldn't even ever use the Kinect. My current console is standing inside a small cabinet, and I like it there. There is no room for a Kinect to even work.

And finally: Sure, you CAN block the camera and mic, and you CAN disconnect it every time. But people are too used to convenience these days. So they don't want to do those things. They might at first, but then that laziness will kick in and they'll just go 'eh, fuck it'. At least, if they bought one in the first place.
Alright, I know this response is kinda TL;DR but please read it anyway before anyone responds or I'm not going to take you seriously.

When I buy the console, I'm not REQUIRED to do anything with it. I'm saying a 5-year-old could thwart this device's supposed data collection. Ergo, I HIGHLY doubt Microsoft is intentionally going to spy on people with this device along with other reasons that are listed above in the OP and below. As to why I would buy such a console is another matter entirely which I will not discuss right now. That's a different topic.

1. and 3.: I'm not saying you have to or should. Just that you can. If Microsoft really wanted to make a device or software designed to effectively spy on you, they're more than capable of doing it and a lot less conspicuously too.

2. Whether they will be discouraged or not is irrelevant at present. The point is they could get caught red-handed VERY easily. They're not going to take that chance just to nab some piddly extra bucks from selling information to advertisers.

And which brings me yet ANOTHER point.

4. A lot of people don't have a stable internet connection or don't want the Xbox connected even sometimes as a lot of people were so keen to point out before Microsoft shifted in reverse. This just makes the Kinect look even WORSE as a spying device as it can't spy on all of its intended targets.

And to answer your last point, if the public don't want to take precautions to make sure Microsoft doesn't spy on them then that's their choice. They also have a choice to not use a smartphone or any such device capable of tracking them. If they don't care enough to do either such things then protesting this Kinect is simply wasting your time which is exactly what I'm trying to tell everyone.

Now, even with all of the above points, can one still use this product to spy on people at an occasional rate? Probably. Just as many other devices and software can be used to spy on you. You can't have it both ways when it comes to privacy unless you want to be a hypocrite. If you trash the Kinect because of its privacy issues then you should be trashing Facebook, Twitter, your online email provider, Windows, iOS, your phone, and etc. as they can all be used to spy on you. If not, then you have no grounds to whine about privacy issues with a device that's probably even less likely to spy on you than the above mentioned.

Lygus

Apr 7, 2013
Kinect is a godly device, soon to be manufactured for evil purposes in huge numbers.

The main and most problematic question is - why should I pay $100 more for a corporation's opportunity to spy on me? It's like I'm giving your brother $100, buy some cameras, external software to manage them, connect everything to your laptop at home, and enjoy watching my living room. And who's your brother? Of course, the famous Big Brother.

Currently, MS business logic is inevitably stupid, if they won't reverse their Kinect dependability policies and consider consumers idiots.

MS fail on Windows, Phones, the time has come for their console, too.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Lygus said:
Kinect is a godly device, soon to be manufactured for evil purposes in huge numbers.

The main and most problematic question is - why should I pay $100 more for a corporation's opportunity to spy on me? It's like I'm giving your brother $100, buy some cameras, external software to manage them, connect everything to your laptop at home, and enjoy watching my living room. And who's your brother? Of course, the famous Big Brother.

Currently, MS business logic is inevitably stupid, if they won't reverse their Kinect dependability policies and consider consumers idiots.

MS fail on Windows, Phones, the time has come for their console, too.
You're right dude, EVIL corporations are going to spy on us through a super inefficent device!
Like, evil, man!

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
You're right dude, EVIL corporations are going to spy on us through a super inefficent device!
Like, evil, man!
There's different types of spying. Sure, if I'm worried that Microsoft want to spy on ME individually for some reason, and I know about it in advance, then I could stick a pillow on it and be fine. It would be more efficient for Microsoft to break into my house and install a bug in my living room.

But know one is worried about that kind of scenario. I'm sure Microsoft have got better things to do than listen to my private conversations. What they do want to do is collect MASSES of data from as many people as possible, so that they can sell that data to advertisers.

Imagine having a conversation with a friend in your house, say you're talking about playing golf at the weekend. Suddenly, your XBox and TV spring to life and play an advert for Calloway golf clubs or something like that.

This is not as far fetched as it sounds, they've been working on similar technology for Skype:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/06/13/skype_in_call_ads/

They want to gather as much data as possible about the kind of things you talk about. They will then sell this data to marketing companies in order to target adverts to you. And then, as we've found out recently with PRISM, they will pass this data onto the government so that they can spy on you as well.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
*SIGH*, it's a camera sesnor with a microphone not the eye of Sauron (I have all that stuff on my computer all the time anyway). If you're really concerned about your privacy you may as well go join an Amish farm. People act like having a kinect will somehow detract from their gaming experience, maybe it's just me but I seriously doubt The kinect will be that much of a burden.
infohippie said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Piorn said:
Disable the Kinect?
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
That joke is way too old. You should feel bad for making it.
Don't listen to him. Any reference to 2001 is awesome.
Not when it's made for the nine millionth time.

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
Spying? Oh, for fuck's sake, stop listening to the whiners. No one's gonna spy on you, you don't need to cover the device with a pillow.
They'll collect data on you, just like any other connected device out there does.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Lusty said:
Imagine having a conversation with a friend in your house, say you're talking about playing golf at the weekend. Suddenly, your XBox and TV spring to life and play an advert for Calloway golf clubs or something like that.
Do you know how fast the Xbox One would get dropped if they did that crap? Let's put it this way. It would make the massive DRM controversy that was happening a while ago seem like piddles.

Seriously, I can see the news headlines now.
Microsoft Tries To Implement Involuntary Advertising! Xbox One's Getting Thrown Into Garbages!

Same thing with Skype. In fact, it's even more ludicrous with Skype since it isn't a service. It's simply a program that interacts with other Skype programs over the internet directly. If they started implementing video ads during calls, one would simply have to downgrade to the latest version which didn't have the ads to completely avoid such nonsense.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
We aren't even sure how it 'spy's' on us. I thought it would just be picking up on certain things to what can sell well to whoever is using the Xhole. Maybe it can't be blocked, who knows? Also, who cares? I'm not being forced to use the Kinnect and I also hate the idea on what they need the camera for anyway. It really should be just them making great products to sell, not find whats the most popular all the bloody time.

Revolutionary said:
infohippie said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Piorn said:
Disable the Kinect?
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
That joke is way too old. You should feel bad for making it.
Don't listen to him. Any reference to 2001 is awesome.
Not when it's made for the nine millionth time.
It's funny because it fits so well this time. Timing is one of the most important parts of comedy so anything can be revived any time. Also, just because you've heard it a lot doesn't mean I have.

Lusty

Dec 12, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:
Lusty said:
Do you know how fast the Xbox One would get dropped if they did that crap? Let's put it this way. It would make the massive DRM controversy that was happening a while ago seem like piddles.

Microsoft Tries To Implement Involuntary Advertising! Xbox One's Getting Thrown Into Garbages!

Same thing with Skype. In fact, it's even more ludicrous with Skype since it isn't a service. It's simply a program that interacts with other Skype programs over the internet directly. If they started implementing video ads during calls, one would simply have to downgrade to the latest version which didn't have the ads to completely avoid such nonsense.
Sure, if they did it today. But they'll implement it bit by bit, over a number of years, and slowly but surely people will accept it. I'd rather we didn't set off down that slippery slope in the first place.

10 years ago the idea of having to pay to play games online would have been ridiculous, now both the major consoles are going to require it.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Lusty said:
Arnoxthe1 said:
Lusty said:

Sure, if they did it today. But they'll implement it bit by bit, over a number of years, and slowly but surely people will accept it. I'd rather we didn't set off down that slippery slope in the first place.

10 years ago the idea of having to pay to play games online would have been ridiculous, now both the major consoles are going to require it.
I don't believe that is really true since people were already paying to play online MMO's, some of them even asking for 10 to 15 a month. Of course this whole thing goes into a grey area and I don't believe we have all the news yet.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
nevarran said:
They'll collect data on you, just like any other connected device out there does.
Well maybe I don't want data collected on me.

I don't want to get caught drinking a can of pepsi, and then suddenly drowned in a torrent of ads from pepsi affiliates.

I don't have a problem with my computer doing the same, because I have a way to make ads... let's just say 'less bothersome' on my computer. I doubt I'll be able to do the same on the xbone.

Comocat

May 24, 2012
IMO its just a pointless feature. I can't think of one game (in the genres I play) that has been made better by having kinect. Same with their cloud processing, I can't think of a video game that's successfully done this bit I can name some games that have screwed it up royally.

Also, I literally push 1 button to start my Xbox, why do I need to shout from my couch, sounding like an idiot for something so easy?

Microsoft has claimed they are pushing us I to the future with a string of add-ons riddled with historical failures and anti-consumer leanings. Is some of the hate hyperbole? Probably. But when the best thing going for kinect is that ridiculous star wars dancing game its not hard to see why I don't care.

I suppose an argument can be made once every one has kinect, because they are forced to, developers will build better games. I suggest that as gamers we are easily lured by hype, so why not show us a great game run with kinect to get me excited? Because that game doesn't exist, that's why. That's the whole problem with this console at the moment. Trust us it's going to be great is a terrible way to get any one who values money to buy your product.

Blueshadow

Jun 8, 2013
Even if Microsoft wasn't using the Kinect to spy on users, they are already doing so with Skype. Which is also going on the Xbox one, that's food for thought. Regardless, the Kinect is still mandatory, which is ridiculous. I don't need nor want to talk or scream at my console and TV like an idiot. I don't need yet another camera in my home. I have to have the stupid thing in-order to use the console, why? It's not moving gaming forward. Why anyone trusts this company after the Prism debacle is beyond me.