Why Left 4 Dead's DLC Is Free

Kirra

Apr 14, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Kirra said:
It's probably free bacause it doesn't add a lot. Sure a new mode might seem like a huge addon but it rather simple: Just stay in one place (Unless a Tank decides to show up) and shoot. I have tried to survival mode only twice now (Fist time my teammates commited suicides and the second time it crashed) but it doesn't add enough to ask money.
And you think Horse Armour is worth a cent?

Geez...

And....it's because Valve are AWESOME!

Ummmm... Horse armor?

junkmanuk

Apr 7, 2009
Benny J said:
Because its not that good
Booker prize winning review there chump.

Kirra said:
Ummmm... Horse armor?
That's what I thought.

Captain Blackout said:
I bloody well need to be able to move the items around. All of them.
This made me laugh, mainly because I'd just accepted that it's there... Heaving gas canisters and oil cans around and leaving the useful stuff in a completely awkward place. I guess that's why the other survivors left these four behind in the first place?!

Bunnymarn

Oct 8, 2008
Evilbunny said:
Man, survival mode is really hard. I can't last for more than 3 minutes.

Btw, the first person that makes a sexual joke about that I am going to personally hunt down and murder.
I've heard you can get cream for that.

Back on topic, it's free to entice more people to buy it. So, they still make a bit of money.

LordBag

Jan 10, 2008
Have they ever charged for any additional content? I can't think of anything off hand...

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
stinkychops said:
The Half-Life expansions. I'm pushing the boundry though.
AHHAHAH WHUT?
they were basically new games...

And the reason it's free:
Valve never charge their customers like that,
they said something about if you bought the game you expect to have the rest of the game free.

And I don't and won't ever care if it gets charged for the 360.

LordBag

Jan 10, 2008
stinkychops said:
RockWhore said:
Have they ever charged for any additional content? I can't think of anything off hand...
I thought that as I posted, I was thinking of content other than expansions though >_>

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Kirra said:
oliveira8 said:
Kirra said:
It's probably free bacause it doesn't add a lot. Sure a new mode might seem like a huge addon but it rather simple: Just stay in one place (Unless a Tank decides to show up) and shoot. I have tried to survival mode only twice now (Fist time my teammates commited suicides and the second time it crashed) but it doesn't add enough to ask money.
And you think Horse Armour is worth a cent?

Geez...

And....it's because Valve are AWESOME!

Ummmm... Horse armor?
http://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductView.aspx?ProductId=2

That horse armour.

stinkychops said:
RockWhore said:
The Half Life expansions were made by Gearbox and not Valve.

spikenog

Oct 17, 2008
Very glad to see it was free. The basic boxed game was NOT worth $50...the added value of the free DLC is great.

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
It should be clear why the DLC was free: lack of content.

I'm not a fan of the Survivor mode (face it, you die, period), and there's no way they could charge for the two Versus maps, plus fixes (the latter being a *patch*, not new content). The "16 new maps" for Survivor are just edited piecemeal areas cut out of the others.

That said, I'm still a big fan of L4D. I just didn't do backflips over the DLC.

puppybeard

Oct 29, 2008
Skrapt said:
I think they chose to make this free because a major part of it was unlocking versus mode for the other couple of campaigns, and there'd probably be a backlash over that as really they should have been in the original release.
I'd agree with you on that. It did make it feel a bit like half a game. I imagine it was a case of Valve realising how much playtesting is necessary to ensure the VS mode doesn't fuck up. Bad spawns for Vs, etc). I'd say it takes a long time to get a Vs mode ready as opposed to a campaign mode. Based on the fact that they can't control what a human player does.

I think the reason they gave this DLC away fro free is that Valve do well out of keeping us playing their games until their next games come out. As far as I can tell, they've kept people playing their game since Half Life, thanks to their mod-friendliness. Just a shame community mods don't make it onto Xbox live, now that'd be good.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
This makes sense to me. From what I heard the original 60 dollar game was very short and had little story line, but the multiplayer made up for it. Releasing the content for free shows Valve understands the kind of game this was, and that in effect the gamers already paid their due.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
This makes sense to me. From what I heard the original 60 dollar game was very short and had little story line, but the multiplayer made up for it. Releasing the content for free shows Valve understands the kind of game this was, and that in effect the gamers already paid their due.

sorry if this is double post

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I know that I wouldn't pay for it. Its fun, but I'm sure glad I didn't pay for a massively difficult mode.

Kirra

Apr 14, 2009
oliveira8 said:
http://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductView.aspx?ProductId=2

That horse armour.
Wow they actually charged money for that.

Frederf

Nov 5, 2007
The reason the DLC was free is simply due to the horrid backlash that would result from trying to charge for the 2 versus campaigns that should have been in the game at release. The nicest explanation is that Dead Air and Death Toll versus campaigns were left out due to time/money. The most cynical would be that they delay-released it intentionally so their game would have this resurgence in sales mid life-span.

The Survivor mode is STRICTLY DISTRACTION. The mode is very simplistic and all the levels (save one) are cut n' paste jobs out of the existing level content. The entire point of having Survivor mode is to be able to release the 2 missing Vs campaigns as a tiny note under the 9-foot high SURVIVOR MODE text.

Make no mistake, playing Dead Air and Death Toll in the Versus setting is the cake and the survivor minigame is the icing, not the other way around. The icing is simply marketed in 200pt font because it disguises Valve's handing in their term paper way past the due date with the thin viel of new content.