Why Metal music makes us happy

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Fraught said:
I love how justification is that we're "not sophisticated and are brutish, tribal beings". Not that I dislike metal, but it just makes me smirk every time, no matter the context.
Care to expand on that? Tell us why?

Jekken6

Aug 19, 2009
All metalheads go watch Metalocalypse. Now. It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpjsgPDM4t8

Iwana Humpalot

Jan 22, 2011
I love metal, not sure if i love "exterme metal". My taste of metal music goes from metallica to slipknot, and i hate screaming. (I know slipknot has some screaming in their songs but not too much for me). I listen to metal cause it sounds good (not all ofc) and it sometimes helps me handle my feelings. When i'm sad/mad i listen to heavier stuff. When i want to feel better i play metallicas whiskey in the jar or some other songs which make me feel happy.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009

I absolutely love the guitar riffs of extreme metal (and the fast drumming) but the vocals always ruin it. The most screaming I can take is Bullet for my Valentine, because A) he screams in a welsh accent, and B) it's only done occasionally. It's also sort of punky.

Even Nevermore here doesn't have a great vocalist. If Jeff Loomis wasn't in it, I wouldn't listen, because I don't like the power metal type of singing.

Chased

Sep 17, 2010
Ironic Pirate said:
I absolutely love the guitar riffs of extreme metal (and the fast drumming) but the vocals always ruin it. The most screaming I can take is Bullet for my Valentine, because A) he screams in a welsh accent, and B) it's only done occasionally. It's also sort of punky.

Even Nevermore here doesn't have a great vocalist. If Jeff Loomis wasn't in it, I wouldn't listen, because I don't like the power metal type of singing.
I'm not a huge fan of screaming, but I can totally get behind death metal growling (Opeth, early Cynic) and some black metal vocals like in Agalloch and Drudkh.

Might want to try this out, it's metal with a very different style vocals then usually heard in the genre.

Cobweb_Morphology

Aug 2, 2010
Its funny really, it seems like the people with the most anger, pain, resentment, regret, lethargy, and generalized angst are the ones who deify certain specific bands are genres as "THE ONLY POSSIBLY GOOD MUSIC" and when the subject comes up they just get argumentative and entrenched in the idea they came into the conversation with. Clearly there are literally THOUSANDS of metal bands out there and even MORE clearly they have people who love them. If youre making something that people love, its obviously not ALL bad.

for example,the Immoral Medical Practitioners And Licentious Evil-Doers!! Cmon, its corny, but its fun! And really quite clever. Theres plenty of Carcass-worship bands out there but IMPALED really stands out

OPEN MINDS. Literally...OPEN minds. Thats what we need more of in this world.

and since normies hate growling heres an instrumental one.

WhamBamSam

Oct 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
As someone on this forum once pointed out: 'Metal is an expression of chaos through order (i.e.. structured notes) and it is beautiful and it is Zen.'
I'm happy that you liked that quote so much. lol.

Even in sophisticated situations metal has its place. I study theoretical math, and I listen to metal while I work out the proofs. The 4 post-reunion Maiden albums are my go-to music for all-nighters.

Do you 'get' metal and/or extreme metal?

Not entirely, but better than I used to. Death growls bear so little resemblance to what a human voice ordinarily sounds like that they just sound like noise if you're listening to them and nothing else. Not being a musician myself, it took me a while to learn to focus on the piece of the whole, instead of just the growling. Even so, it's hard for me to keep entertained without clean vocals to latch onto. Songs with just growling sound like instrumentals to me, so while I enjoy some Prog Death or Melodeath, I still prefer the more melodic metal bands that use clean vocals, ie Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio, Iced Earth, etc.

Are you a fan? Are you indifferent? or does it make want to scream 'ARGH TURN IT OFF!'?

I adore quite a few things about Thrash/Extreme Metal, but there are cases where the vocals have ruined it for me a bit. Still except in extreme cases - read: Deathcore - it doesn't really bother me so much as just bore me a bit. Still in the cases where repetitiveness isn't an issue and I like the vocals I really love the heavier side of the metal spectrum.

If you are a fan, tell us why and how it makes you feel to throw on some good old blast beats and death growls

For Opeth, who are really the most Death Metal-y band I listen to, I find that there's a wonderful air of darkness to it that I can just sort of sink into until I reach the aforementioned Zen calm. In a way, they're the most relaxing band I know.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
WhamBamSam said:
MiracleOfSound said:
As someone on this forum once pointed out: 'Metal is an expression of chaos through order (i.e.. structured notes) and it is beautiful and it is Zen.'
Sure did. It stuck with me. That was you?? Sorry I couldn't remember who it was said it :(

MalevolentJim

Aug 15, 2008
People do get that Extreme metal isn't trying to appeal to a large audience right?
Just making sure people get that..I don't think people here do.

piscian said:
I don't know I've never had to defend any music that I love. I could give a shit. That's why I find the plethora of whiny " why can't you adore metal like we do?????" threads so confusing.

I never see threads about people feeling abused and misunderstood because they listen to kanye west, yet strangely the amount of "why can't everyone love metal?" threads is roughly equal to the number of "I'm 16 and still don't have a girlfriend" threads.

Seriously do a search for metal on these forums. It's fucking endless. Wave after wave like retarded school children at a pokemon event. There should be a built in required pre-search before being allow to post the same whiny shit over and over.
Thats the thing. Kanye West is popular. Hugely popular, in fact he's a household name.
This is to some extent the opposite of extreme metal.In fact I'd go as far as to say the genre is an easy target. The problem with people whining about "why can't everyone love metal?" as you call it, is that they don't realize that the genre will never have a mass appeal like it did in the 80's.There is no point trying to get everyone to love it because it won't work. So, the metal fans tend to end up alienated because the genre is trendy to hate on.

Yeah I agree, some of the younger fans are very annoying and can't construct a proper argument but that's just angst that passes away I guess.

Just to clarify, if you don't like extreme versions of metal music, thats absolutely fine, I don't particularly blame you. Just please don't assume we metal fans are all the exact same :)

WhamBamSam

Oct 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
WhamBamSam said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Sure did. It stuck with me. That was you?? Sorry I couldn't remember who it was said it :(
Yeah that was me. And no worries, I wouldn't be likely to remember the source of a random internet quote either unless it came from someone I knew well, or was an immediately recognizable figure of the forum in question.

While I'm here, here's something that's not really Death Metal - In fact it's actually somewhat lighter than most of the stuff I listen to - but just wouldn't be the same without the growls.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
I have never liked metal because of the heavy distortion and fidelity, making even the most impressive solo sound like a plethora of static. Noise rock at least employs it in an interesting and creative way, drifting off to instances of freeform, noise, and music concrete like The Velvet Underground, Boredoms, Sonic Youth, Zazen Boys, and Lightning Bolt.

The one's that do use clean vocals are usually so dissonant from the instrumental sound that it clashes heavily. Some do it well like Iron Maiden (If I were a metalhead I would love them solely because of Bruce Dickinson's vocal style). Blast-beats are fucking terrible and growls and screeches sound extremely forced a lot of the time. People constantly praise shit like Converge for their brilliant lyrics, but if you can't hear them without reading the lyrics, what's the point?

Also, many bands are way too heavy on excessive guitar wankery, and I'm saying this as a The Mars Volta, GY!BE, and King Crimson fan.

Bands I have heard:

Between the Buried and Me
Black Sabbath
Boris
Burzum
Cemetary
Converge
Enslaved
Iron Maiden
Kvelertak
Metallica
Mastodone
Megadeth
Meshuggah
Morbid Saint
Novasonic
Opeth
Slayer
Winder

Out of all of these, the only ones that interest me are Megadeth, Boris, and Mastodon. BtBaM and Iron Maiden were okay, and I liked maudlin of the Well most recent LP even though Part the Second is post-rock. Show me anything I might like based off of this very little information. No metalcore or black metal crap, and if you are going to show symphonic metal, keep the cheese to a minimum since that's a huge gripe I have about the subgenre.

Deathkingo

Aug 10, 2009
I just got back from a Cradle of Filth concert, but more importantly a band called Turisas was there. During the show, there was a battlefield of a pit, lives were lost, appendages were thrown about, and battle axes were brandished. AFter the song, I turned to the people that I had been moshing with and we all had a good laugh. Evil? Bad? I don't think so.

Let's look at this as a psychology experiment! There are three powers that make up our mind: the id, superego, and ego. The id is our primal instinct, and is at constant war with out superego. The superego follows the rules of society, the id wants it here and now! Our ego is the medium between the two, trying to compromise the best solution. I think metal is a great way to lash out and keep the id satisfied. I mean, after I listen to Amon Amarth, I feel great!

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
piscian said:
I don't know I've never had to defend any music that I love. I could give a shit. That's why I find the plethora of whiny " why can't you adore metal like we do?????" threads so confusing.
I hope you're not including this thread in that.

This thread was meant to be a positive thing, to explain in simple terms the buzz that metalheads get from the music so it made more sense to those who don't enjoy it - to share and celebrate the love of something that brings people together all over the world.

Of course, there will always be those who it is not to their taste and that's perfectly fine. What I have a problem with is nasty condescending comments like the ones you made above. It's just not needed and stops people from paying attention to any valid point you might actually make.

Your comments about the average age of users here and their relationship with the music was very ignorant. It reminded me of Tyra Banks on that show laughing at the 25 year old gamer and implying he should be 13 to like gaming.

TonyVonTonyus

Dec 4, 2010
I loved Metal, that's the only thing I can say about that. It sounds good and I listen to it because I like it not because it's popular and I want to fit in. Metal is all about freedom and doing what YOU want and not giving a fuck about what society thinks of yo when you do it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YD8pfnqeP4

I like power metal more than anything but death metal is pretty awesome.

Can't get the video to work...Rage!

Riccan

Oct 11, 2009
I used to not really care any about music at all. To me it was simply pointless noise. Then I discovered the reality breaking awesomeness that is metal.

Do you 'get' extreme metal?
*cough*
Yes

Are you a fan? Are you indifferent? or does it make want to scream 'ARGH TURN IT OFF!'?

A huge fan of pretty much every genre of it.

If you are a fan, tell us why and how it makes you feel to throw on some good old blast beats and death growls?

It makes me feel like I could fight all of existance while on the back of a hypothetical "Uberbaer" as infinite different dimensions cross paths to re-create reality. Pretty damn good basically.

CNKFan

Aug 20, 2008
One of my favorite bands it Cannibal Corpse and I love all of their stuff. But I fear that they are no longer super-heavy for me. Deicide worked for a while and now their edge is gone for me too. Is their anything heavier out there? I'm not sure but I'll still listen to it. Also since every one is posting a song here is a cool one.
El Linkalo the Destroyer-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-LtWx7h4r0

WhamBamSam

Oct 29, 2009
Small Waves said:
Out of all of these, the only ones that interest me are Megadeth, Boris, and Mastodon. BtBaM and Iron Maiden were okay, and I liked maudlin of the Well most recent LP even though Part the Second is post-rock. Show me anything I might like based off of this very little information. No metalcore or black metal crap, and if you are going to show symphonic metal, keep the cheese to a minimum since that's a huge gripe I have about the subgenre.
I'm guessing that you'll consider Iced Earth cheezy then, or else be put off by their use of falsetto, but they're a band you might like based on liking Megadeth and Maiden to an extent (They have the most in common with Maiden and are closer to Metallica than Megadeth, but whatever).
Something Wicked This Way Comes is probably your best bet. I'm partial to Horror Show myself, but based on what you've said it probably wouldn't go over as well.

Also Judas Priest, though again you might consider them cheezy or be bothered by the use of falsetto.