Why Microsoft has Agrivated me

Snoody

Nov 23, 2009
I'm just like you, one of the proud, and one of the few who goes to www.escapistmagazine.com/forums. The greatest forums in the world. Now that that's said, I had some complaints and was wondering if anyone shared my opinion. I use a Dell computer that has given me more than my fair share of issues and most of them are from Microsoft. One of my biggest problems is the fact that Microsoft won't give me anything without first having to buy it. For example, I bought this computer and it came with "Microsoft Office Student Edition, 2010". I needed to wipe my hard drive for various reasons. After contacting Microsoft and explaining my situation, they sent me a card that gives me a, get this, 30 day demo of Microsoft Office Student Edition 2010. Has anyone else had this issue? Please post below, and thanks for reading.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
Download MS office student off of a torrent, then activate it with your license key. If you've lost that as well, then you're hosed.

Most companies do like you to buy their products before they give them to you.

MartialArc

Aug 25, 2010
Vie said:
OpenOffice.org

Your problem is solved.
Loves me some open source freeware. But if your using it for anything too sciencey the spreadsheet app is pretty inadequate, otherwise great stuff.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
I also have a dell and they give Cds with all the software on it's nothing to do with Microsoft if you contact dell (if you bought it direct from them) they should be able to replace any software that came with the pc.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
superstringz said:
Seconding openoffice. Why pay when you can get the exact same thing for free.
Not quite exactly the same, Oo_Org has a far more useful interface.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
I agree with the other people. I'm just posting to tell you that the word is "aggravated," not "agrivated." It also shouldn't be capitalized.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I've noticed that a lot of laptops and desktops lately are lacking in software CDs. My desktop from 2005 came with Windows XP and Microsoft Office 2003 CDs. My laptop from two years ago came with serials inside (or maybe they were on) the box.

If you still have any of the above you should be fine. I know that when I wiped my laptop I was able to acitvate Vista and Office through the serials on (inside?) my box.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
A company not giving you stuff for free is not a good reason to complain. Whoever you bought your PC from should have included the office CD unless its shady. Microsoft can't simply send you another CD because you could be lying and trying to get two CDs and thus 2 programs. Also, why did we need to know your computer is a Dell? Do you have a problem with the hardware or just the software? Can you give us another reason for your ire?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Snoody said:
One of my biggest problems is the fact that Microsoft won't give me anything without first having to buy it. For example, I bought this computer and it came with "Microsoft Office Student Edition, 2010". I needed to wipe my hard drive for various reasons. After contacting Microsoft and explaining my situation, they sent me a card that gives me a, get this, 30 day demo of Microsoft Office Student Edition 2010. Has anyone else had this issue? Please post below, and thanks for reading.
If you haven't actually bought Microsoft Office, you aren't entitled to it.

Normally Microsoft Office doesn't come with a pre packed computers, if you haven't got the disc you need to go out and buy the disc, it comes with several licences (kinda like Spore!)

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
MartialArc said:
Vie said:
OpenOffice.org

Your problem is solved.
Loves me some open source freeware. But if your using it for anything too sciencey the spreadsheet app is pretty inadequate, otherwise great stuff.
What have you run into problems with? I have had no trouble running various statistical tests, creating charts, running various custom computations, and so forth.

Just curious in case I run into it in the future.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
ive never really had problems with microsoft that wasnt my fault, and seriously, ive never had to wipe my PC since I learned how to use "Safe Mode" and the "F1" button.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I hate Microsoft with a passion. I hated every OS they've ever made, and every piece of software they've made. It's all given me nothing but a massive heap of problems. I wouldn't mind so much, but it all costs so much for this flaming pile of misery.

Which is why my OS is Ubuntu linux, and I use open office. Never had ANY problems with any of these. Ubuntu is a bit agitated when I play games, but there is always a workaround. You are never stuck in Ubuntu, just go on the internet and look up a fix that can be done in seconds. I love Ubuntu, I wouldn't trade it for even the most advance microsoft package bundle.

Fuck Microsoft.