Why Movie Games Suck

MarxonSR1

Apr 28, 2009
I thought Spider-man 2 was awesome with the web swinging being fantastic especially when you compare it to the thoroughly dull repetitive web swinging present in Spider-man I the movie the game. It was fast paced and enjoyable. The large sprawling city gave you freedom and ability to explore every insignificant nook and cranny.

However I think the main problem with the majority of the movie games is they are shackled to the original movie plot line. This being that you can't spend the game with endless cut-scenes on how the characters develop, as no matter how good the writing is you need gameplay. But then again this can be argued against by the Metal Gear Solid Series which could possibly form a DVD box-set equal to the length of the Lord of the Ring trilogy extended edition box-set. So some games do get away with it but in theory they shouldn't.

Also the games have to be rushed to come within about 2 years of the release of the movie. So abandon movie games, we may miss the occasional good one but we we'll avoid the disasters that populate the most of the cess pool of games of movies.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
and does LEGO Star Wars count?
doesn't really count, that and the Lego Indy games aren't really movie games and i think what makes them good is the fun stuff surrounding the game, not the fact they are based on movies

g805ge said:
The Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay is f*#@king badass!
that's not based on the movies tho, it just uses characters based on the movie characters

as for the topic, it's old news about movie games, who would have known the rushing development would make a mediocre game?

Razorback0z

Feb 10, 2009
Wow what a cop out of an answer. Im not sure whether to file it under "couldnt be bothered thinking it through" or "just a plain old insult to the intelligence".

So lets think it through...

"There isnt enough time ib the development cycle to properly develop games based on a franchise"..... ok fine....

I dont suppose anyone canvased the completely crazy notion of say......NOT PRODUCING A GAME IF THERE IS NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!

Seriously... for anyone to give the excuse of releasing a bad product because they didnt have enough time to make a good one is basically marketing jargon for "our fan base are morons and deserve to be treated as such"

Sadly both assertions are usually true.... and so we have Doom the movie.... CSI the computer game to drive that point home.

Just stop buying the crap folks FFS!

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
Goldeneye was the perfect example of a good movie-tie in game. However it did come out two years after the film which would be correct in terms of what Rebellion are saying.

Quantum of Solace was good too but very short.

Spider-Man 2 was awsome as well. Tied in elements of the movie with elements of the comics to give a decent lengthed adventure. One of those games I was so dissapointed when it finished because I wanted more.

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
Riddick and the LEGO series are hella fun.

Can someone please explain why game movies suck?

**EDIT** with the notable exceptions of Mortal Kombat and Postal, natch.

ROTMASTER

Dec 4, 2008
i do agree that there may be some movie games that are decient because they employ something that allows you to make it your own like spiderman 2 was a sandbox game

Hellgate

Mar 10, 2009
Well the Punisher and X-Men Orgins: Wolverine moves ware underwhelming but the games are realy awesome and breaking the Bad Movie Game rule :] also the first movie based Hulk was SUPER FUN :D

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Slycne said:
Tinq said:
I can think of some good titles, but none with a coincidental release date.
Agreed, there are a few jewels in the cesspool of movie tie in games, but they are likely to be games that are produced after and not coinciding with a movie release. Goldeneye 007, for instance, was released almost a full 2 years after the movie open in theaters.
Is what I was thinking. There are great movie tie-ins, none that were released with the movie... My friend tells me the Avatar game sucks pretty hard. Very pretty though.
Although, were the Lord Of The Rings games released with the movies? Two Towers is pretty epic, and I hear good things about Return Of The King.
Also, Enter The Matrix. Was that released with the second Matrix movie? I really doubt it, but I don't exactly know. Either way, game is kick ass.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Name a good videogame based on a movie. Go on, I dare you. You can't, can you? (Actually, I hear the new Wolverine [http://www.uncaged.com/] game is pretty decent.)
This is largely because they basically had a completed game already and bolted the Wolverine license onto it and changed some of the bosses.

Also the Wolverine movie was crap, so the game shines by comparison.

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Hellgate said:
Well the Punisher and X-Men Orgins: Wolverine moves ware underwhelming but the games are realy awesome and breaking the Bad Movie Game rule :] also the first movie based Hulk was SUPER FUN :D
This thread is a year old.